LOVE AND PROTECT ALL CHILDREN

A discussion of children, their welfare, well being and lives. We must protect them, they are our future.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

CASEY ANTHONY ~ MARCH ~ 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: It's all about those handcuffs   Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:21 am

it’s all about those handcuffs

Posted on March 2, 2011 by Andrea

One of the big questions hanging in the air after today’s hearing could boil down to the cuffing of Casey by a young, inexperienced Sheriff’s deputy.
According to Bill Shaeffer, on WFTV, it appears as if the State did a good job illustrating the cuffing was an error by a rookie cop, Deputy Eberlin. When Eberlin’s supervisors learned that he had cuffed Casey, he was told to un-cuff her immediately. She was in cuffs for about five minutes.
Oh, Cindy and George!
What I found interesting, is the ease with which Cindy Anthony can change her story. There were several inconsistencies, including how she first approached and wanted a solution to the situation concerning Casey: Cindy wanted her arrested. She told the young officer Eberlin, who ended up handcuffing Casey, that Casey had stolen large amounts of money from her, stole her car, and she proved this by producing for the officer a bunch of receipts to prove that Casey stole from her.
George was very combative today. Judge Perry had to admonish him at one time to be quiet. Both Cindy and George will be hostile witnesses when they are called by the Prosecution. This will benefit the Prosecutors because they will be able to ask them leading questions, making it easier for them to get the inconsistencies from Cindy and George out in the open.
Despite Casey’s tears at seeing her mother on the stand, Casey did not so much as look her way when she passed her table. Casey looked down at her paperwork when both Cindy and George passed. And, boy – Casey wore some mean looks when her parent’s testified, didn’t she?
Baez and Mason
There is something that really, really bothered me about today. When Baez was doing a cross examination of Yuri Melich, he continuously brought up Casey’s lies! I did not know what to make of this – he was intentionally making his client look like a liar!
All in all, I felt that Jose Baez was very ineffective today.
Mr. Cheney Mason, on the other hand, was a smooth character. He makes a witness feel comfortable with him, he laughs and jokes a little with them, and then he turns nasty, to throw the witness off. Did you notice this as well?
Tomorrow is going to be another fascinating day…. Take notes, okay?! I’ll be checking in periodically on my phone to see what’s up.
Court starts at 9:00 and will probably go until 5:00. There is a status hearing on Friday.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey, Attorneys Back In Court For Day 2 of Hearing   Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:15 pm

Casey, Attorneys Back In Court For Day 2 Of Hearing

Posted: 9:31 am EST March 3, 2011

Updated: 11:29 am EST March 3, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Casey Anthony, her attorneys and the prosecution returned to the courtroom Thursday for day two of a scheduled 2-day hearing in the murder case against Casey. Judge Belvin Perry has a steep task in front of him with several motions yet to be heard.

TODAY'S HEARING: Watch Live Video | Follow Live Blog
CASEY ENTERS 03/03: Raw Video | See Images
IN COURT 03/03: Key Players At Thursday Hearing
SGT. HOSEY TESTIFIES 03/03: Part 1 of 2 | Part 2
READ: Motions To Be Heard March 2-3

Day 1 saw only one motion get resolved with a second motion taking most of the day to discuss. Thursday, both sides were back in court continuing their arguments over whether comments Casey made to law enforcement would be admissible.
The hearing started about 15 minutes late, with Casey arriving in what appeared to be the same shirt as yesterday, but with a grey jacket buttoned over it (video | images). Her hair was in a ponytail that was twisted into a long curl that she was frequently playing with.
The first witness to take the stand was Sgt. Reginald Hosey. Baez opened the questioning by grilling Hosey about details regarding Casey being handcuffed the night her mother called 911 in July 2008.
After about 25 minutes of questioning, Baez let prosecutor Linda Drane-Burdick take over questioning the sergeant. After brief questioning from the prosecution and a redirect from the defense, Hosey stepped down.
Next up was Sgt. John Allen, a detective with the Orange County Sheriff's Office. Baez got to question him first, but it was brief.
"Did you pick up Casey Anthony on July 16, 2008?" Baez asked Allen.
"Yes sir, I did," Allen said.
"And when you picked her up, did you tell George and Cindy Anthony, George or Cindy Anthony, that Casey Anthony might not be coming back?" Baez asked.
"No, sir."
Baez then handed Allen to the prosecution, who then passed on asking any questions.
Judge Perry, at 10:05am, called for a 15 minute recess.
After the recess, Judge Perry didn't rule on the motion that had been heard and instead moved things forward. The next motion to be discussed (read motion) was a motion to suppress statements made to several people while in jail, including George and Cindy Anthony.
George Anthony was called to testify first and Cindy Anthony was sequestered. Baez began the questioning.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony Hearing: Investigators recorded conversation with George Anthony   Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:18 pm

Casey Anthony hearing: Investigators recorded conversation with George Anthony

Anthony's father found out today that investigators recorded a conversation he had with officers months ago during a drive to the Orange County Jail in an attempt to visit his daughter.

By Anthony Colarossi, Orlando Sentinel

11:58 a.m. EST, March 3, 2011

The second day of hearings on a series of crucial motions about evidence in the Casey Anthony murder case offered more details about what happened behind the scenes during the investigation.
Anthony's father, George, found out today that investigators recorded a conversation he had with officers months ago during a drive to the Orange County Jail in an attempt to visit his daughter.
The visit was set to take place on a day Jose Baez, Anthony's defense attorney, was out of town, but the visit never happened because another attorney with Baez's firm was at the jail. All this may explain why Casey stopped taking visits from anyone other than her defense team.
The recording is being played in court right now.
George Anthony is heard saying, "Somebody is not doing their job," referring to Baez now allowing Casey talk to law enforcement.

The recording captures George discussing how Baez was in New York. An FBI agent in the car says Casey Anthony is the boss and not the attorney.
Earlier in court, George said, "She's controlling how her life is going on from there. She is the boss."
During testimony this morning, George Anthony revealed that he got ill after law enforcement told him that "explicit" photos of his daughter were going to be released, George said.
"I remember how I felt when I heard that. I got sick."
He said he literally had to go and throw up.
Today's motions
Earlier, debate continuing on the question of whether Anthony's statements to law enforcement after her daughter was reported missing should be excluded from the trial.
But a long list of motions about other evidence and legal issues will be covered today in front of Chief Judge Belvin Perry.
Anthony is charged with first-degree murder in the death of 2-year-old daughter Caylee Marie. Her trial is set to start May 9.
Jose Baez, Anthony's defense attorney, this morning questioned Sgt. Reginald Hosey, who responded to the Anthony family home in east Orange County in July 2008 after Caylee was reported missing.
Hosey said he did not remember Casey being handcuffed or ordering her to be unhandcuffed. He said media reports refreshed his memory about that detail.
"I heard that I said uncuff her," Hosey said. "I did not recall saying that."
Hosey says he took a short walk with Anthony after hearing from her parents that she'd had been acting "erratic" and that her mother, Cindy Anthony, had not seen her granddaughter in a long time.
He says she told him her parents "possibly wanted to take her daughter away from her."
He also said she told him, "My daughter's all right" and that this was her mother causing problems. She was conveying to him the notion that this was a domestic disturbance, Hosey said.
Testimony detailing the earliest Orange County Sheriff's Office involvement in this case more than two-and-a-half years ago consumed much of the first day of hearings on Wednesday.
Casey Anthony spent many hours talking with law enforcement on July 16, 2008. The question is whether she was a criminal suspect at that time or the young mother of a missing child helping authorities start a search.
'She was the mother of a missing child'
On Wednesday, Detective Yuri Melich testified that Casey Anthony was never read her Miranda rights before she gave him statements and traveled with him to various locations early that morning in mid-July 2008. But that's because she was not a suspect and not under arrest, he explained.
"She wasn't a suspect of anything," Melich said. "She was the mother of a missing child."
Baez asked how Melich could not have been suspicious that morning.
The child was only then being reported missing, a month after her disappearance. Casey Anthony had not told anyone about it until that point. She was leading the detective to the place she supposedly saw her daughter last, a vacant apartment, and she was lying about where she worked, Universal Studios Florida.
Baez asked how the detective could not find all of those elements suspicious.
"I find it interesting, the whole story that she told," Melich said at one point. "I wanted to find out what was going on. I wanted to find out more."
Assistant State Attorney Linda Drane Burdick, meanwhile, had Melich explain that Anthony was cooperative, never indicating to him that she didn't want to help and seeming to want to find Caylee and help him find the child.
"She was willing," Melich said. "She was happy to go."
Burdick introduced a photo of a smiling Anthony taken at the Sheriff's Office on that July 16, to be used for a missing-persons flier.
All this is important because if it's determined Anthony was in custody that morning, without being informed of her right to remain silent and to have a lawyer present, her statements may not be admissible.
Earlier testimony Wednesday showed Anthony was handcuffed at one point before Melich's arrival.
Deputy Ryan Eberlin told defense attorneys he initially handcuffed Anthony and put her in the patrol car, but later removed those cuffs at the direction of a supervisor because a detective wanted to talk to her. At that time, the focus of the investigation was still on a missing person.
Eberlin also said Cindy Anthony, the accused's mother, had receipts depicting fraudulent use of her credit card and said she wanted charges pressed against her daughter, so that they would know for sure where she was being held.
'I'm not stupid'
Cindy Anthony also testified Wednesday and at one point bickered with Burdick before Perry put a stop to the exchange.
"I'm not stupid. This is very unsettling for me," Cindy Anthony told the judge and prosecutor. "I wanted anything to get to Caylee, but I didn't want my daughter arrested."
Later, George Anthony, father of the accused, told Baez he was in a traumatic state when he learned Caylee was missing and was further troubled by seeing his daughter placed in handcuffs.
"It was traumatic," George Anthony said. "I remember crying."
George Anthony wanted an Amber Alert issued immediately for his missing granddaughter. He said the fact that it was not done remains a sore subject.
Away from the witness stand, Wednesday's proceeding showed Casey Anthony actively engaged with her lawyers, reviewing documents and taking notes during the testimony. This may have to do with her recalling much of what happened during the time period being discussed by witnesses.
As Cindy Anthony walked out of the courtroom after testifying, she mouthed, "I love you" to her daughter.
Wednesday's questioning by Baez started to show signs of a tough courtroom style tinged with sarcasm — with certain witnesses — but also a deep knowledge of the early events in the case.
Baez questioned Melich about an interrogation of Anthony that went on for more than an hour trying to get her to talk.
"Absent waterboarding, you tried everything else?" Baez asked.
"We don't use waterboarding," Melich said.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Deputy: Anthony Worried About Parents Taking Caylee   Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:22 pm

Deputy: Anthony Worried About Parents Taking Caylee

Anthony, 24, Charged With Murder In Death Of Daughter

POSTED: Thursday, March 3, 2011
UPDATED: 10:45 am EST March 3, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Casey Anthony returned to court Thursday for the second consecutive day of hearings in her murder case.
LIVE VIDEO: Anthony Court Hearing
VIDEO: Tony Pipitone's Report

Anthony's defense team wants statements Anthony made in jail, through video visitations with family and letters to another inmate, to be thrown out. The state is trying to prevent that.
During testimony on Thursday, Orange County sheriff's Sgt. Reginald Hosey changed his testimony regarding a key event in the case. During a previous deposition, he swore he did not recall seeing Anthony handcuffed or ordering the handcuffs to be removed.
Thursday, however, he said, "through the turn of events I heard that I said that," referring to his order to a deputy to remove the handcuffs.
"At the time I gave my deposition, I did not remember that," Hosey said.
Hosey said the turn of events that reminded him Anthony was handcuffed before being questioned on July 15 and 16, 2008, included media coverage Wednesday morning before the hearing began.
Local 6 is unaware of any media coverage mentioning that Anthony was handcuffed prior to it being revealed in court on Wednesday.
Hosey also testified about a previously undisclosed walk he took with Anthony early on July 16 after Cindy Anthony told him she was "worried about her granddaughter," Caylee.
Hosey testified Anthony told him "her parents may try to take her child away from her."
Defense attorney Jose Baez questioned why Hosey never put Casey's alleged statement in writing.
"(It was) not until two years later that you decided to tell anyone about these statements? " Baez asked.
"Correct," Hosey replied.
Meanwhile, the state announced Monday it will not use secret video of Anthony's reaction to the news that a body had been found near her family's east Orange County home. Anthony's defense team argued the recording was a setup.
Anthony's mother, Cindy Anthony, took the stand Wednesday and answered questions from her defense team attorney, Cheney Mason, and a state prosecutor. Casey Anthony broke down and cried when she saw her mother take the stand.
Anthony's defense was trying to show that Casey Anthony was effectively in custody before she provided what authorities say were deceptive statements when Cindy Anthony called 911 to report that her granddaughter, Caylee, was missing. Cindy Anthony said her daughter was handcuffed shortly after officers arrived at their home and the cuffs were later removed.
Anthony, 24, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her daughter, Caylee Marie Anthony.
Caylee was 2 years old when she was reported missing in July 2008, one month after being last seen by her grandparents. Caylee's remains were discovered by a meter reader in December 2008.
Anthony's trial is expected to begin May 9.
Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Day 2 Testimony - Casey Anthony's father recalls jail visits   Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:14 pm

Day 2 of testimony - Casey Anthony's father recalls jail visits

By Jacqueline Fell and Janelle Jordan, Team Coverage
Last Updated: Thursday, March 03, 2011 12:11 PM

ORLANDO --

The second of two crucial court hearings this week has begun in the case against Casey Anthony.
Judge Belvin Perry is listening to more key testimony that could change the direction of the upcoming trial, scheduled to begin in May.
Thursday's hearing is expected to include debate over Casey's pen pal in jail, plus alleged evidence of chloroform found in Casey's car.
Prosecutors are also expected to argue that Judge Belvin Perry should hold defense attorney Jose Baez in contempt for missing a court-ordered deadline.
————————————————————————
Updates from the hearing

Noon -- Break until 1:30 p.m.
11:48 a.m. -- Casey has been writing in her legal pad. At one point, she looked up and put her hand over her mouth, then went back to writing. She has made several faces while listening to the recording, with her dad still on the stand.
11:45 a.m. -- Casey was seen shaking her head 'no' after an investigator in the recording said to George: "You always love your kids."
11:36 a.m. -- The defense is about to play an audio recording of the car ride with George Anthony and sheriff's investigators on the way to jail for an alleged private meeting with Casey.
11:34 a.m. -- Jose Baez is asking George about arranging a private meeting with Casey Anthony while she was in jail.
Jose asked George if he knew he was being taped on the ride to jail for the alleged private meeting. George said no.
Baez also asked if George knew he was out of town? George said he did not learn that until later.
Once at jail, an attorney with Baez's law firm stopped the meeting from happening. Baez asked George who at jail was trying to facilitate this meeting. George said he did not know.
11:14 a.m. -- George said sheriff's officials told him they could facilitate a private meeting with Casey Anthony at jail -- no cameras, and without Jose Baez knowing. George said he thought if he could meet with his daughter for one hour, he could find out where Caylee is.
11:03 a.m. -- George is talking about hierarchy in jail. He said when he was a deputy sheriff in Ohio, he had to work in the jail at times, and saw how some people became "bosses" of others.
He said he feared for his daughter's safety in jail here in Florida.
10:44 a.m. -- George is talking about his first visit with Casey in jail, on July 25, 2008.
Jose Baez wants to know if lead Detective Yuri Melich set up the interview. George said he does not remember.
Casey has looked at her father, but for the most part, she is writing on her legal pad.
10:41 a.m. -- George Anthony said he thought he had bonded with law enforcement, but after Casey Anthony hired Jose Baez, relationships changed.
10:38 a.m. -- Two people have reportedly been removed from the courtroom. One fell asleep, and another was "rambling" about something.
10:36 a.m. -- George Anthony is back on the stand. Again, Cindy must step out of the courtroom until George is finished testifying.
10:35 a.m. -- Now discussing a motion to suppress statements made to George and Cindy Anthony; Casey's alleged jailhouse pen pal, Robyn Adams; and possibly Sylvia Hernandez.
10:30 a.m. -- Court is back in session, but Jose Baez has asked to discuss an issue in private with the judge and state prosecutors.
10:07 a.m. -- The defense has no more witnesses to call in the motion to suppress. Court is taking a 15-minute recess while state prosecutors meet.
10:05 a.m. -- The defense calls Sgt. John Allen to answer one question: Did you tell the Anthonys that Casey may not be coming home?
He said no, he did not.
10:01 a.m. -- Jose Baez is questioning Sgt. Hosey. He wants to know why Hosey can remember in detail the talk and walk with Casey Anthony, including how far they walked -- 40 yards -- but can't remember much before.
Hosey said he doesn't remember ordering handcuffs off Casey, or the investigation into a stolen car or fraudulent use of credit cards.
9:55 a.m. -- Re: "Are Cindy and George Anthony there today?" Yes, they are.
9:51 a.m. -- Assistant state Attorney Linda Drane Burdick is explaining all of Sgt. Hosey's duties the night Caylee Anthony was reported missing.
Hosey ordered Deputy Adria Acevedo, who testified Wednesday, to drive with Casey Anthony to the Sawgrass Apartments.
Hosey also told another deputy to drive to Casey's then-boyfriend, Anthony Lazaro's apartment to retrieve Casey's cell phone.
Sgt. Hosey said George and Cindy Anthony told him Casey's behavior was sporadic, and they were concerned for Caylee's safety.
Hosey and Casey took a walk, and Casey told him George and Cindy were trying to take Caylee away from her. He asked her if Caylee was OK, and Casey told him she was OK.
9:42 a.m. -- This morning's arguments continue to focus on the motion to suppress. The defense is trying to get statements Casey Anthony made to law enforcement thrown out. The state is now cross-examining Sgt. Hosey.
9:34 a.m. -- Sgt. Hosey said he does not remember that night telling the deputy to take handcuffs off Casey Anthony, but now that he has watched news reports, he says he must have.
Defense attorney Jose Baez said when Hosey was deposed months ago, he denied ordering the handcuffs off Casey.
Today in court, Hosey said he now remembers.
Baez asked if Hosey knows he is not allowed to talk to people about case, or watch reports on it. Hosey said he can't help it if he is in front of a television and a report comes on.
9:24 a.m. -- Sgt. Reginald Hosey, with the Orange County Sheriff's Office, has taken the stand. He was in charge of the scene at the Anthony home when Caylee was first reported missing.
9:18 a.m. -- Casey is here, and hearing is under way. The judge has told the gallery to refrain from comments, snickers and making facial expressions during testimony.
9:11 a.m. -- Thursday's hearing is getting a late start. No Casey Anthony or Judge Perry yet.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Day 2 of Testimony - Casey Anthony's father, brother testify   Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:06 pm

Day 2 of testimony - Casey Anthony's father, brother testify

By Jacqueline Fell and Janelle Jordan, Team Coverage
Last Updated: Thursday, March 03, 2011 4:48 PM

ORLANDO --

The second of two crucial court hearings this week has begun in the case against Casey Anthony.
Judge Belvin Perry is listening to more key testimony that could change the direction of the upcoming trial, scheduled to begin in May.
Thursday's hearing is expected to include debate over Casey's pen pal in jail, plus alleged evidence of chloroform found in Casey's car.
Prosecutors are also expected to argue that Judge Belvin Perry should hold defense attorney Jose Baez in contempt for missing a court-ordered deadline.
————————————————————————
Updates from the hearing

4:43 p.m. -- Sgt. John Allen is now testifying. He testified briefly Wednesday.
4:35 p.m. -- Sgt. Dennis Moonsammy is now on the stand. He works at the jail. He supervised Casey Anthony at the jail. Defense is asking about Casey writing a letter asking sheriff to let her meet with her father.
4:18 p.m. -- The state says Lee was acting independently in search of his niece Caylee. They said he was not acting on direction of investigators. However, the defense says he was acting as an agent of the state. Lee has finished testifying.
3:41 p.m. -- We've seen a lot of faces from Casey today. No tears. But she was shaking her head while her father was testifying. When George started breaking down, Cheney Mason put his hand on her shoulder but she looked straight ahead.
She's written feverishly in her legal pad.
During Lee's testimony, which is still going on, she looked very angry.
3:15 p.m. -- Lee Anthony is on the stand saying law enforcement encouraged him to talk with Casey about the case since they couldn't talk with her. The court is now watching a jail house visit video of Casey and Lee.
3:06 p.m. -- Casey's brother, Lee Anthony takes the stand.
2:56 p.m. -- Hearing resumes
2:41 p.m. -- Court goes into recess
1:55 p.m. -- George Anthony takes the stand and is being cross examined by the State.
State is trying to prove George, his wife Cindy and son Lee, were conducting an independent investigation in hopes of finding Caylee. George says he would sell his soul to the devil to get his granddaughter back.
He became confrontational toward Asst. State Attorney Linda Drane Burdick. Burdick asked Judge to step in to get him to stop talking. George then cut the judge off. Judge stopped him and told him if he needed a break they would take a recess but that he is expected to answer the questions he is asked. George once again said this was difficult for him to talk about and he just wants to get it over with.
1:30 p.m. -- Hearing resumes
Noon -- Break until 1:30 p.m.
11:48 a.m. -- Casey has been writing in her legal pad. At one point, she looked up and put her hand over her mouth, then went back to writing. She has made several faces while listening to the recording, with her dad still on the stand.
11:45 a.m. -- Casey was seen shaking her head 'no' after an investigator in the recording said to George: "You always love your kids."
11:36 a.m. -- The defense is about to play an audio recording of the car ride with George Anthony and sheriff's investigators on the way to jail for an alleged private meeting with Casey.
11:34 a.m. -- Jose Baez is asking George about arranging a private meeting with Casey Anthony while she was in jail.
Jose asked George if he knew he was being taped on the ride to jail for the alleged private meeting. George said no.
Baez also asked if George knew he was out of town? George said he did not learn that until later.
Once at jail, an attorney with Baez's law firm stopped the meeting from happening. Baez asked George who at jail was trying to facilitate this meeting. George said he did not know.
11:14 a.m. -- George said sheriff's officials told him they could facilitate a private meeting with Casey Anthony at jail -- no cameras, and without Jose Baez knowing. George said he thought if he could meet with his daughter for one hour, he could find out where Caylee is.
11:03 a.m. -- George is talking about hierarchy in jail. He said when he was a deputy sheriff in Ohio, he had to work in the jail at times, and saw how some people became "bosses" of others.
He said he feared for his daughter's safety in jail here in Florida.
10:44 a.m. -- George is talking about his first visit with Casey in jail, on July 25, 2008.
Jose Baez wants to know if lead Detective Yuri Melich set up the interview. George said he does not remember.
Casey has looked at her father, but for the most part, she is writing on her legal pad.
10:41 a.m. -- George Anthony said he thought he had bonded with law enforcement, but after Casey Anthony hired Jose Baez, relationships changed.
10:38 a.m. -- Two people have reportedly been removed from the courtroom. One fell asleep, and another was "rambling" about something.
10:36 a.m. -- George Anthony is back on the stand. Again, Cindy must step out of the courtroom until George is finished testifying.
10:35 a.m. -- Now discussing a motion to suppress statements made to George and Cindy Anthony; Casey's alleged jailhouse pen pal, Robyn Adams; and possibly Sylvia Hernandez.
10:30 a.m. -- Court is back in session, but Jose Baez has asked to discuss an issue in private with the judge and state prosecutors.
10:07 a.m. -- The defense has no more witnesses to call in the motion to suppress. Court is taking a 15-minute recess while state prosecutors meet.
10:05 a.m. -- The defense calls Sgt. John Allen to answer one question: Did you tell the Anthonys that Casey may not be coming home?
He said no, he did not.
10:01 a.m. -- Jose Baez is questioning Sgt. Hosey. He wants to know why Hosey can remember in detail the talk and walk with Casey Anthony, including how far they walked -- 40 yards -- but can't remember much before.
Hosey said he doesn't remember ordering handcuffs off Casey, or the investigation into a stolen car or fraudulent use of credit cards.
9:55 a.m. -- Re: "Are Cindy and George Anthony there today?" Yes, they are.
9:51 a.m. -- Assistant state Attorney Linda Drane Burdick is explaining all of Sgt. Hosey's duties the night Caylee Anthony was reported missing.
Hosey ordered Deputy Adria Acevedo, who testified Wednesday, to drive with Casey Anthony to the Sawgrass Apartments.
Hosey also told another deputy to drive to Casey's then-boyfriend, Anthony Lazaro's apartment to retrieve Casey's cell phone.
Sgt. Hosey said George and Cindy Anthony told him Casey's behavior was sporadic, and they were concerned for Caylee's safety.
Hosey and Casey took a walk, and Casey told him George and Cindy were trying to take Caylee away from her. He asked her if Caylee was OK, and Casey told him she was OK.
9:42 a.m. -- This morning's arguments continue to focus on the motion to suppress. The defense is trying to get statements Casey Anthony made to law enforcement thrown out. The state is now cross-examining Sgt. Hosey.
9:34 a.m. -- Sgt. Hosey said he does not remember that night telling the deputy to take handcuffs off Casey Anthony, but now that he has watched news reports, he says he must have.
Defense attorney Jose Baez said when Hosey was deposed months ago, he denied ordering the handcuffs off Casey.
Today in court, Hosey said he now remembers.
Baez asked if Hosey knows he is not allowed to talk to people about case, or watch reports on it. Hosey said he can't help it if he is in front of a television and a report comes on.
9:24 a.m. -- Sgt. Reginald Hosey, with the Orange County Sheriff's Office, has taken the stand. He was in charge of the scene at the Anthony home when Caylee was first reported missing.
9:18 a.m. -- Casey is here, and hearing is under way. The judge has told the gallery to refrain from comments, snickers and making facial expressions during testimony.
9:11 a.m. -- Thursday's hearing is getting a late start. No Casey Anthony or Judge Perry yet.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony hearing: Lee says he launched his own investigation   Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Casey Anthony hearing: Lee says he launched his own investigation

Video of jail meeting between Lee and Casey is replayed in court

The second day of hearings on a series of crucial motions about evidence in the Casey Anthony murder case offered more details about what happened behind the scenes shortly after Caylee Marie Anthony was reported missing.

Jose Baez, Anthony's defense attorney, called Casey's brother, Lee, to the stand this afternoon.
Lee Anthony just testified that he conducted an independent investigation after he first learned of Caylee's disappearance, but he worked and shared information with his parents, law enforcement and Baez.
Lee Anthony says law enforcement and Detective John Allen specifically said they could not talk to Casey Anthony because she had a lawyer, but that he, Lee Anthony, could.
Baez played a video of a jail visit between Lee and Casey.

The video shows Lee advising Casey to write letters to avoid them being monitored or traced...he asks how Casey is and she laughs and says, "Oh man, I don't want to start crying."
Lee tells Casey in the video his priority is Caylee and then Casey and then their mother, Cindy, and then George and then himself.
He asks Casey if his priorities were right and Casey said they were. "I'll sit here as long as I have to," Casey said on the recording. "My concern is Caylee."
Lee asks if she wants to speak to law enforcement, Casey says "yes and no" but then says she thought law enforcement figured she was lying so she'd prefer to have the information come from the family and Baez.
She also explained that she chose Baez after another inmate recommended him. "His name came up."
She also says detectives misconstrued what she said and "put words" in her mouth.
Earlier today, Baez revealed that an FBI agent wore a wire to his office and the Anthony home in October 2008 even though law enforcement was aware Casey Anthony had a lawyer.
Judge Belvin Perry won't allow Baez to ask George Anthony, Casey's father, about it because it is outside the timeframe of a motion Baez filed.
Much of today's hearing involved testimony from George, who left the stand a few minutes ago in tears.
Anthony is charged with first-degree murder in the death of 2-year-old daughter Caylee Marie. Her trial is set to start May 9.
'Somebody is not doing their job'
Earlier, Anthony's father, George, found out today that investigators secretly recorded a conversation he had with officers in mid August 2008 during a drive to the Orange County Jail in an attempt to visit his daughter.
The visit was set to take place on a day Jose Baez, Anthony's defense attorney, was out of town, but the visit never happened because another attorney with Baez's firm was at the jail and Casey Anthony decided to follow the advice of the attorney.
All this may explain why Casey stopped taking visits from anyone other than her defense team.
The recording was played in court this morning just before the parties broke for a lunch break.
George Anthony is heard on the recording saying, "Somebody is not doing their job," referring to Baez not allowing Casey to talk to law enforcement.
The recording captures George Anthony discussing how Baez was in New York that day. An FBI agent in the car, meanwhile, emphasizes the idea that Casey Anthony is the boss and not the attorney.
Earlier in court this morning, George Anthony explained what this meant: "She's controlling how her life is going on from there. She is the boss," he said.
Anthony ended his direct questioning by Baez by agreeing that law enforcement constantly encouraged him to get Casey to speak without Baez present. Earlier, he said investigators questioned him why Casey chose Baez, saying there were "better attorneys in Orange County."
Adam notes 'something strange'`
Baez also questioned Gabriel Adam, an attorney at his firm.
Adam said that Baez asked him to go to the jail on Aug. 14.
He said he had to wait much longer than usual to see her and said, "I felt as if something strange was going on...I felt like I was getting the run around." He then spoke with Detective John Allen and learned a visit with Casey was being set up.
"It seemed that there was something coordinated (going on) that I was not fully apprised of," Adam said. He did not know if deputies would be involved in the visit with Casey. He said Allen told him that Casey had reached out to try to meet with her father. Adam said he met with Casey and came out and told Allen the meeting with her father would not be happening. Allen told him he wanted to hear from Casey directly that she was invoking her right to counsel at that moment, Adam said.
Earlier, Perry had to stop Baez from a line of questioning that might have had Adam reveal conversations he had with Casey that day.
Adam also said he was uncomfortable with answering anything that might violate attorney/client privilege.
Were they agents of the state?
Several times this morning Baez asked George Anthony to confirm that he was saying or hearing disparaging things about him — Baez, as Casey Anthony's attorney. George Anthony also agreed that "looking back" the investigators wanted him to question how well Baez was representing Casey Anthony.
This whole line of questioning has to do with the defense team's argument that the Anthonys and others inside the jail became agents of the state early in the case.
Baez and his team want statements Casey made during this period kept out of her upcoming trial, saying after Casey Anthony "invoked her right to counsel on July 16, 2008, it became improper for law enforcement to attempt to elicit her testimony in the absence of counsel," according to the motion that brought about today's hearing.
The defense cites other constitutional protections as well.
'I got sick'
During his testimony today, George Anthony said he does not recall law enforcement setting up any of the four actual meetings he and/or his wife had with Casey Anthony at the jail up through Aug. 14, 2008.
Perry just had to calm down George Anthony after he questioned the direction prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick was going. "This is a very emotional time, sir," he told Perry,
The prosecutor was asking George Anthony about his willingness to work through any means he could to find Caylee.
George says he was willing to do anything "legally or illegally" to do what it took to find his granddaughter.
He also says deputies John Allen and Yuri Melich and FBI agent discussed with him having his daughter write a letter to then-Orange County Sheriff Kevin Beary. George said he was working as an agent for both the Sheriff's Office and the FBI.
During testimony this morning, George Anthony revealed that he got ill after law enforcement told him in late July 2008 that "explicit" photos of his daughter were going to be released to the public.
Earlier in his testimony, George Anthony said his constant focus in the summer of 2008 was finding his granddaughter, Caylee Marie.
"Anywhere Casey was at, my focus was to bring Caylee home," he said.
Testimony thorough, time-consuming
A long list of motions about other evidence and legal issues is scheduled to be covered today in front of Chief Judge Belvin Perry. It's unclear if the parties will be able to make it all the way through that list today. The testimony of key witnesses so far has been thorough and time-consuming.
Jose Baez, Anthony's defense attorney, this morning questioned Sgt. Reginald Hosey, who responded to the Anthony family home in east Orange County in July 2008 after Caylee was reported missing.
Hosey said he did not remember Casey being handcuffed or ordering her to be un-handcuffed. He said media reports refreshed his memory about those details.
Hosey says he took a short walk with Anthony after hearing from her parents that she'd had been acting "erratic" and that her mother, Cindy Anthony, had not seen her granddaughter in a long time.
He says she told him her parents "possibly wanted to take her daughter away from her."
Hosey also said she told him, "My daughter's all right" and that this was her mother causing problems. She was conveying to him the notion that this was a domestic disturbance, Hosey said.
Hosey did not, however, document his conversation with Casey Anthony or her statements to him in a report, he said.
Testimony detailing the earliest Orange County Sheriff's Office involvement in this case more than two-and-a-half years ago consumed much of the first day of hearings on Wednesday.
Casey Anthony spent many hours talking with law enforcement on July 16, 2008. The question is whether she was a criminal suspect at that time or the young mother of a missing child helping authorities start a search.
On Wednesday, Detective Yuri Melich testified that Casey Anthony was never read her Miranda rights before she gave him statements and traveled with him to various locations early that morning in mid-July 2008. But that's because she was not a suspect and not under arrest, he explained.
"She wasn't a suspect of anything," Melich said. "She was the mother of a missing child."
The child was only then being reported missing, a month after her disappearance. Casey Anthony had not told anyone about it until that point. She was leading the detective to the place she supposedly saw her daughter last, a vacant apartment, and she was lying about where she worked, Universal Studios Florida.
"I find it interesting, the whole story that she told," Melich said at one point. "I wanted to find out what was going on. I wanted to find out more."
Casey was briefly cuffed
Assistant State Attorney Linda Drane Burdick, meanwhile, had Melich explain that Anthony was cooperative, never indicating to him that she didn't want to help and seeming to want to find Caylee and help him find the child.
Burdick introduced a photo of a smiling Anthony taken at the Sheriff's Office on that July 16, to be used for a missing-persons flier.
All this is important because if it's determined Anthony was in custody that morning, without being informed of her right to remain silent and to have a lawyer present, her statements may not be admissible.
Earlier testimony Wednesday showed Anthony was handcuffed at one point before Melich's arrival.
Deputy Ryan Eberlin told defense attorneys he initially handcuffed Anthony and put her in the patrol car, but later removed those cuffs at the direction of a supervisor because a detective wanted to talk to her. At that time, the focus of the investigation was still on a missing person.
Eberlin also said Cindy Anthony, the accused's mother, had receipts depicting fraudulent use of her credit card and said she wanted charges pressed against her daughter, so that they would know for sure where she was being held.
'I'm not stupid'
Cindy Anthony also testified Wednesday and at one point bickered with Burdick before Perry put a stop to the exchange.
"I'm not stupid. This is very unsettling for me," Cindy Anthony told the judge and prosecutor. "I wanted anything to get to Caylee, but I didn't want my daughter arrested."
Later, George Anthony, father of the accused, told Baez he was in a traumatic state when he learned Caylee was missing and was further troubled by seeing his daughter placed in handcuffs.
George Anthony wanted an Amber Alert issued immediately for his missing granddaughter. He said the fact that it was not done remains a sore subject.
Away from the witness stand, Wednesday's proceeding showed Casey Anthony actively engaged with her lawyers, reviewing documents and taking notes during the testimony. This may have to do with her recalling much of what happened during the time period being discussed by witnesses.
As Cindy Anthony walked out of the courtroom after testifying, she mouthed, "I love you" to her daughter.
Wednesday's questioning by Baez started to show signs of a tough courtroom style tinged with sarcasm — with certain witnesses — but also a deep knowledge of the early events in the case.
Baez questioned Melich about an interrogation of Anthony that went on for more than an hour trying to get her to talk.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Did Jose Baez Have Any Intention of Cooperating with the Prosecution?   Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Did Jose Baez Have Any Intention of Cooperating with the Prosecution?

3 Mar

On February 20, 2011, Mr. Baez sent an e-mail to the prosecution detailing his intent in regards to cooperation. His e-mail may be read at the following link as part of a motion Mr. Baez later filed.
http://www.ninthcircuit.org/news/High-Profile-Cases/Anthony/Downloads/Motion%20to%20Strike%20the%20State%20of%20Floridas%20Motion%20For%20Rule%20To%20Show%20Cause.pdf
“Mr. Ashton:
I have attached a Notice of objection to assist you. Should you have any further questions please email them to me and we will do our best to answer them. It is my intent to attempt to work with you as best as possible, so that all hearings can proceed smoothly and be decided on the law and not on any posturing done by either side.
Sincerely,
Jose A. Baez”
“I have attached a Notice of objection to assist you” – Mr. Baez implies the defense has complied with the order of the court in regards to the submittal of possible Frye issues and any further complaints Mr. Ashton may have should be settled by the prosecution filing a Notice of Objection.
“to assist you” – Mr. Ashton began this exchange with a phone call inquiring if the defense planned to comply with the court’s order, in effect assisting Mr. Baez. It seems Mr. Baez is unappreciative of any assistance from the State as he implies the State needs his assistance.
“Should you have any further questions please email them to me” – Mr. Baez is obsessed with his belief the State is required to contact him through various electronic methods, such as telephones or e-mail. Mr. Baez consistently makes reference in written motions and verbal statements to his belief the State must contact him regarding various filings and points of law, as well as law enforcement procedures.
“and we will do our best to answer them” – Mr. Baez switches from speaking for himself, “I” and “me”, to speaking for a group, “we”. Who is “we”? Mr. Baez and Mr. Mason? Mr. Baez and his office staff? Mr. Baez and Ms. Anthony? We do not know, but we do know by switching to “we”, Mr. Baez is distancing himself from this statement, increasing doubt as to his doing his “best to answer”.
“It is my intent to attempt to work with you as best as possible” – Mr. Baez switches back to speaking for himself, “my”. Mr. Baez has an “intent”. Is the “intent” to work with Mr. Ashton? No. The “intent” is “to attempt”. Mr. Baez plans “to attempt”, but not to succeed. Mr. Baez is stating he will not be working with Mr. Ashton. The phrase “as best as possible” limits the phrase “to work”. Why is it not “possible” to for Mr. Baez “to work with” Mr. Ashton?
“so that all hearings can proceed smoothly” – Why is Mr. Baez concerned with “hearings” proceeding “smoothly”? Mr. Baez is indicating he believes “hearings” have not proceeded “smoothly” and this has something to do with the prosecution.
“and be decided on the law” – Mr. Baez implies previous “hearings” may not have been “decided on the law”, but on something else. Mr. Baez is stating Judge Perry may have allowed courtroom actions determine his legal decisions. Would Judge Perry agree?
“and not on any posturing done by either side” – Mr. Baez believes there is “posturing” being “done” in the courtroom. Mr. Baez admits with “by either side” the defense is “posturing” at times. Mr. Baez believes “posturing” is capable of affecting the legal rulings of the court.
We have learned Mr. Baez thinks the judiciary of Orange County makes legal decisions based upon the actions of the attorneys observed by the judge in the courtroom.
We have learned Mr. Baez does not believe past hearings have been smooth, indicating he believes they have been rough.
We have learned the intent of Mr. Baez was never to work with the prosecution, only to attempt to do so.
We have learned Mr. Baez, whether it be in official court motions or casual e-mail correspondence, does not believe grammar, punctuation, or internally consistent capitalization to be of importance.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony - The Dance Continues   Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:35 pm

Casey Anthony – The Dance Continues

03/03/2011 donchais Leave a comment

Yesterday was long and not a whole heck of a lot got accomplished. Hopefully we will see a quicker pace today. I do wonder how disgusting Baez will be today with his innuendo when John Allen is on the stand.
I get the feeling that we may still be addressing several of these issues on Friday possibly or Judge Perry may have to schedule something for next week.
For some reason the hearing starts 15 minutes late. It begins with the Judge admonishing the audience about commenting, making facial expressions or gesturing.
Casey is wearing the same red sweater from yesterday, but with a grey jacket over it.
Next, Baez claims he has confidential information to share with the Judge so a side bar is called.
Sgt. Reginald Hosey is called. He supervised the officers who showed up at the Anthony home on July 15th . He said he didn’t remember Casey being handcuffed. He also didn’t remember ordering Casey to be uncuffed, but heard that information over time.
Baez gets snotty and basically accuses Hosey of altering he deposition testimony and questioning his memory! Remember, as supervisor, Hosey was responsible for several scenes at the time and there is no way he would remember every single thing from that night!
Linda Drane Burdick cross examines and Hosey goes on to say that during the time he was at the home Casey was agreeable and cooperating with LE. He also said that Casey told him there was no problem with Caylee and her parents were trying to take custody of Caylee. Bottom line, Hosey pretty much thought this was more a domestic disturbance.
John Allen is called and Baez asked if he ever told the Anthony’s Casey may not come home after he picked her up!
Well yesterday, Cindy claimed he did and George claimed Melich to him that on the phone! So, one, possibly two people lied yesterday!
I’m guessing Casey was handcuffed, but was never actually under arrest!

Now we move on to suppressing statements or these folks were agents of the State!
George is on the stand and I’m bored to tears because Baez is having him read passages from his police statement and his statement to FBI Agent Bolin.
Most of this is drivel and Baez is trying his damnedest to get George to admit the cops and FBI wanted him to get info from Casey for them and to also spy on Baez.
I can say truthfully that Baez is incompetent in this examination of George and Linda Drane Burdick is going to make mincemeat out of him on cross!
Baez plays the tape made when George was in the car with Melich and Allen on his way to see Casey at the jail. In it they are heard to tell George that Casey was in charge and if she wanted to see her father without Baez being present, that was her call.
I honestly don’t think Baez is going to win this one!
Linda Drane Burdick takes George through the July 16th through August 22nd time frame of the motion. She goes into the Anthony’s setting up a command post and tip line, working with Kid Finders and other organizations without the help of LE.
She gets into them meeting Dom Casey who was employed by Baez at the time.
What Linda is going for is the Anthony’s were doing their own thing and not being pressured by LE.
She goes into the jail visits and the fact that Baez filed a motion with Judge Strickland asking for private visits with Casey and he attend and testified at that hearing.
She gets George to admit that without LE, he would do anything to find Caylee.
George cannot contain his anger and gets snippy with Linda to the point the Judge has to caution him. His snippy responses are such that to me, he just blew Baez’s motion!
Baez asks a few questions and George cries on the stand!
Gabriel Adam is called. He was a lawyer who used to work for Baez. He was at the jail the night George tried to see Casey. He said he felt jail staff was looking funny at him and postponing his seeing Casey. Eventually John Allen told him Casey wanted to see her father. Adam went in to talk to her and came back to tell Adam that the meeting would not happen. He said he felt set up.

Judge Perry gets him to admit he never saw George or Melich, only Allen!
Lee Anthony is called. He is dressed fairly sloppy and unshaven. Casey starts to cry.
Lee says he spoke with LE daily – there were family meetings, phone calls and emails, but there was only one recorded interview with Lee. Lee says LE informed him that Baez was not returning their phone calls and because Casey had a lawyer, they couldn’t talk with her, but he could.
Lee says LE encouraged him to question Casey about Caylee and share her answers with them.
Baez plays the jail visit with Lee. Lee tells Casey that if she sends mail through the court, it wouldn’t be monitored. So, if she had something she needed to tell the family something she should do that. Lee tells Baez LE told him about the mail system.
In the video Lee is reading from notes. Baez asks if those ideas were given to him by LE. Lee says some were.
What this all boils down to is this was when Lee was in his “Columbo” mode. His working with LE to assist in finding Caylee does not a State Agent make!
Linda makes short work of getting Lee to admit once Casey told him Caylee was missing he knew this was a problem and he decided he would do what he could to locate Caylee. This was being done without the involvement of LE. He was doing all this on his own!
Linda says ‘your goal coincided with LE and Casey’s goal in finding Caylee?’ Less says correct.
I must admit Lee is not as goofy as usual. He seems like he matured a bit in the past year!
Linda then takes Lee through that he got annoyed with LE after a few weeks and felt they weren’t doing all they could so he went and did he own investigation.
Lee says he wasn’t on any side, this was all about Caylee!
Lee whispers I love you to Casey as he comes off the stand!
Sgt. Moonsammy from Orange County corrections. He picked up a letter that Casey wroteit was the letter to she wrote to the Sheriff. He was instructed by Maj. Johnson to get the letter.
Marlene Baker called. She also works for Orange County corrections. Moonsammy told her she was going to be given a letter from Casey. She got the letter and Moonsammy came back and picked up the letter.
State has no question for either.
John Allen called back. Baez asks if he attended a meeting in his office that Linda Drane Burdick attended. The meeting was arranging for Casey to see her father.
Allen says he told George, Lee and Cindy that because Casey had a lawyer he couldn’t talk to her.
Baez asks if Allen told George to tell Casey to write the letter to the Sheriff. Allen says no.
Baez want to know if he asked George how did Casey hire Baez. Allen confirms.
Did you discuss Mr. Kelly as George’s lawyer intervening?
Objection!
Baez says LE dissed him to Casey’s parents which made them turn agents for the State.
Allen says to the contrary, they complained to LE about Baez.
Baez says they will continue tomorrow. Judge asks how long tomorrow? Baez confers with Mason and comes up with 2 hours. I don’t know if that is for everything or just to continue with Allen!
There is a bench conference to set the schedule for tomorrow. The strike Kathi Belich motion will be heard at 8:45 am!
Tomorrow will be a very long day again and don’t be surprised if we go into next week at this rate!
See ya tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Hearing Day 2 Wrap: George Cries, Fights   Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:42 pm

Casey Hearing Day 2 Wrap: George Cries, Fights

Hearing To Continue Friday

POSTED: 5:26 pm EST March 3, 2011
UPDATED: 6:20 pm EST March 3, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Casey Anthony's father broke into tears on the stand Thursday during the second day of a hearing in the case.

Thursday focused on whether law enforcement used Anthony's family as so-called "agents of the state." Anthony's defense wants her early statements to officers thrown out.

Anthony's defense team argues that as investigators were building their case against her, they manipulated her family to get information from her under the guise of trying to find Caylee Anthony.

When George Anthony, Casey's father, recalled his desperation to find his granddaughter, he was reduced to tears.

"She was your baby," Anthony defense attorney Jose Baez said to George Anthony on the stand.

"I would have sold my soul to the devil to get my granddaughter back," George Anthony said.

Anthony's defense played what it said was a secret law enforcement recording of investigators attempting to take George Anthony to the Orange County Jail to meet with Casey Anthony while her own attorney was out of town.

"Law enforcement was always trying to get you to meet her without my presence?" Baez asked.

"Yes," George Anthony replied.

His tears turned to anger when he was questioned by prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick as he admitted that the family tried to independently get information out of Casey.

Casey's brother, Lee Anthony, testified that he tried to get information to find his niece Caylee but not to help authorities build a case against his sister.

One of the first deputies to respond to the Anthony home in 2008 also testified that Casey Anthony told him in a private conversation that her daughter was just fine and that her mother was only causing trouble because she wanted to take custody of Caylee.

Judge Belvin Perry has not made a decision on the motion.

Baez was the sole member of the defense to speak in court Thursday. Fellow defense attorney Cheney Mason has lost his voice, WESH 2's Bob Kealing repoted.

The hearings will continue Friday, beginning at 8:45 a.m. WESH.com will stream the hearings live.

Nine separate motions were scheduled for the hearings, which were only supposed to run Wednesday and Thursday. Attorneys have made it through only a few of the nine.

Jury selection in the murder trial is scheduled to begin May 9.
Copyright 2011 by WESH.COM.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Another Emotional Day In Court For Casey Hearing   Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:46 pm

Another Emotional Day In Court For Casey Hearing

Posted: 9:31 am EST March 3, 2011
Updated: 6:26 pm EST March 3, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Another crucial hearing took place Thursday in the case against Casey Anthony, and for the second day in a row George Anthony took the stand. Casey's attorneys are fighting to keep some evidence out of the trial. Judge Belvin Perry has a steep task in front of him with several motions yet to be heard.

CASEY ENTERS 03/03: Raw Video | See Images
GEORGE TESTIFIES 3/3: Pt. 1 | Pt. 2 | Pt. 3 | Pt. 4 | Pt. 5
LEE TESTIFIES 3/3: Part 1 of 3 | Part 2 | Part 3
BILL SHEAFFER: Pre-Hearing Analysis Of Day 2
IN COURT 03/03: Key Players At Thursday Hearing
SGT. HOSEY TESTIFIES 03/03: Part 1 of 2 | Part 2
VIDEO REPORTS: Hearing Day 2 | George On Stand
READ: Motions To Be Heard March 2-3

The hearing started about 15 minutes late, with Casey arriving in what appeared to be the same shirt as yesterday, but with a grey jacket buttoned over it (video | images). Her hair was in a ponytail that was twisted into a long curl that she was frequently playing with.
Day one saw only one motion get resolved with a second motion taking most of the day to discuss. On day two, there was more testimony about the night that Orange County deputies were called to help look for Casey's daughter, Caylee Anthony. But, like day one, the day ended with no rulings from the judge.
The defense continued to paint a picture Thursday morning of investigators who knew they were going to arrest Casey; however, prosecutors dispute that.
By mid-morning, defense lawyers moved to a new motion (read it) to suppress statements from George, Cindy and Casey's brother, Lee Anthony, calling George to the stand for the second time in two days.
But the first witness to take the stand was Sgt. Reginald Hosey. Casey's attorney, Jose Baez, opened the questioning by grilling Hosey about details regarding Casey being handcuffed the night her mother called 911 in July 2008.
After about 25 minutes of questioning, Baez let prosecutor Linda Drane-Burdick take over questioning the sergeant. Drane-Burdick tried to paint it as something other than an actual arrest.
"Did you tell her she was a suspect in anything?" Drane-Burdick asked.
"No, I didn't," said Hosey.
"Did you tell her she wasn't free to leave the area?" she asked.
"No, I did not," he replied.
"Did you ask her for her cooperation in resolving this issue?" Drane-Burdick asked.
"Yes, I did," Hosey replied.
"Did she indicate that she was willing to help? Did she try to convince you that this was no big deal, it was her mother causing problems?" she asked.
"Yes, she did," he said.
Next up was Sgt. John Allen, a detective with the Orange County Sheriff's Office. Baez got to question him first, but it was brief. Casey's parents have testified that they were warned that Casey may be going to jail that night, but Allen told Baez there was no such conversation.
"And when you picked her up, did you tell George and Cindy Anthony, George or Cindy Anthony, that Casey Anthony might not be coming back?" Baez asked.
"No, sir," he replied.
"I have no further questions for this witness," Baez said.
George was then called to testify and said he pleaded with investigators to have time alone with his daughter.
"If I could just have an hour with my daughter, just her and I," George testified.
Casey's defense team continued to try to cast doubt on whether she was arrested the first night she was questioned about Caylee. Deputies have testified that Casey was handcuffed and placed into a deputy's cruiser.
Defense attorneys are also trying to convince Judge Perry that investigators tried to get George to help them question Casey, saying they feared for her safety in jail. George also said investigators told him they had explicit photos of Casey that upset him so badly he became physically ill.
After a recess for lunch Thursday, George was back on the stand and was grilled by prosecutor Linda Drane-Burdick. George became frustrated numerous times and Judge Perry reminded him to simply answer the questions. After nearly 45 minutes of being questioned by the prosecution, Jose Baez got a chance to question George again.
Baez line of questioning quickly brought George Anthony to tears.
"And you love your daughter more than anything in the world?" Baez asked George at which point he began to weep and asked for a moment to regain his composure.
"Yes," George replied.
George soon thereafter was able to step down from the stand and the court took a 20 minutes recess.
Thursday afternoon, Casey's brother Lee took the stand.
Lee and Casey appeared to be happy to see each other, waving at his sister as he walked up to the stand to testify. But when Lee told the court he lied to his sister when she was in jail she threw a hand in the air and appeared to be upset and looked down at the table.
On the stand, Lee discussed the regular contact he had with law enforcement investigators in the days after Caylee was reported missing. Lee said he'd often text or call investigators; they'd do the same.
Then, lead attorney Jose Baez played a jail house video between brother and sister. In that video visitation, Lee told Casey to circumvent Baez, law enforcement and the public by sending letters directly to him. He told her he would keep their correspondence private, but lied; he later shared that information with others.
"And you say that to her, from brother to sister, were you lying?" Baez asked.
"Maybe," he said.
Casey then put her hand in the air and appeared to sigh.
Baez discussed notes Lee would take to the visits and said he had an agenda for law enforcement.
State prosecutors objected.
Also in that video, Casey discussed how she picked Baez to represent her. Apparently, other inmates liked him and recommended him to Casey.
"His name came up and I said, 'If he's good, can you go ahead and pass his name along?'" Casey told Lee in the recorded jailhouse conversation.
Lee also said he wanted to become a private investigator to try to find Caylee and get to the bottom of things on his own.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony hearing: Detective says he never asked Casey to write the sheriff   Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:42 pm

Casey Anthony hearing: Detective says he never asked Casey to write the sheriff

Hearing will resume at 9 a.m. Friday.

The second day of hearings on a series of crucial motions about evidence in the Casey Anthony murder case offered more details about what happened behind the scenes shortly after Caylee Marie Anthony was reported missing.

Jose Baez, Anthony's defense attorney, called Detective John Allen to the stand for the first time before the hearing concluded just before 5 p.m.

Baez says he still has extensive questioning for Allen, so the hearing will resume at 9 a.m. Friday.

Allen testified this afternoon that he never told Casey's father, George Anthony, to write a letter to then-Orange County Sheriff's Kevin Beary.

This somewhat contradicts what George said earlier today.

Allen was called to the stand after Casey's brother, Lee, testified this afternoon.

Lee Anthony testified that he conducted an independent investigation after he first learned of Caylee's disappearance, but he worked and shared information with his parents, law enforcement and Baez.

Lee Anthony says law enforcement and Detective John Allen specifically said they could not talk to Casey Anthony because she had a lawyer, but that he, Lee Anthony, could.

Baez played a video of a jail visit between Lee and Casey.

The video shows Lee advising Casey to write letters to avoid them being monitored or traced...he asks how Casey is and she laughs and says, "Oh man, I don't want to start crying."

Lee tells Casey in the video his priority is Caylee and then Casey and then their mother, Cindy, and then George and then himself.

He asks Casey if his priorities were right and Casey said they were. "I'll sit here as long as I have to," Casey said on the recording. "My concern is Caylee."

Lee asks if she wants to speak to law enforcement, Casey says "yes and no" but then says she thought law enforcement figured she was lying so she'd prefer to have the information come from the family and Baez.

She also explained that she chose Baez after another inmate recommended him. "His name came up."

She also says detectives misconstrued what she said and "put words" in her mouth.

Earlier today, Baez revealed that an FBI agent wore a wire to his office and the Anthony home in October 2008 even though law enforcement was aware Casey Anthony had a lawyer.

Judge Belvin Perry won't allow Baez to ask George Anthony, Casey's father, about it because it is outside the timeframe of a motion Baez filed.

Much of today's hearing involved testimony from George, who left the stand a few minutes ago in tears.

'Somebody is not doing their job'

Earlier, Anthony's father, George, found out today that investigators secretly recorded a conversation he had with officers in mid August 2008 during a drive to the Orange County Jail in an attempt to visit his daughter.

The visit was set to take place on a day Jose Baez, Anthony's defense attorney, was out of town, but the visit never happened because another attorney with Baez's firm was at the jail and Casey Anthony decided to follow the advice of the attorney.

All this may explain why Casey stopped taking visits from anyone other than her defense team.

The recording was played in court this morning just before the parties broke for a lunch break.

George Anthony is heard on the recording saying, "Somebody is not doing their job," referring to Baez not allowing Casey to talk to law enforcement.

The recording captures George Anthony discussing how Baez was in New York that day. An FBI agent in the car, meanwhile, emphasizes the idea that Casey Anthony is the boss and not the attorney.

Earlier in court this morning, George Anthony explained what this meant: "She's controlling how her life is going on from there. She is the boss," he said.

Anthony ended his direct questioning by Baez by agreeing that law enforcement constantly encouraged him to get Casey to speak without Baez present. Earlier, he said investigators questioned him why Casey chose Baez, saying there were "better attorneys in Orange County."

Adam notes 'something strange'`

Baez also questioned Gabriel Adam, an attorney at his firm.

Adam said that Baez asked him to go to the jail on Aug. 14.

He said he had to wait much longer than usual to see her and said, "I felt as if something strange was going on...I felt like I was getting the run around." He then spoke with Detective John Allen and learned a visit with Casey was being set up.

"It seemed that there was something coordinated (going on) that I was not fully apprised of," Adam said. He did not know if deputies would be involved in the visit with Casey. He said Allen told him that Casey had reached out to try to meet with her father. Adam said he met with Casey and came out and told Allen the meeting with her father would not be happening. Allen told him he wanted to hear from Casey directly that she was invoking her right to counsel at that moment, Adam said.

Earlier, Perry had to stop Baez from a line of questioning that might have had Adam reveal conversations he had with Casey that day.

Adam also said he was uncomfortable with answering anything that might violate attorney/client privilege.

Were they agents of the state?

Several times this morning Baez asked George Anthony to confirm that he was saying or hearing disparaging things about him — Baez, as Casey Anthony's attorney. George Anthony also agreed that "looking back" the investigators wanted him to question how well Baez was representing Casey Anthony.

This whole line of questioning has to do with the defense team's argument that the Anthonys and others inside the jail became agents of the state early in the case.

Baez and his team want statements Casey made during this period kept out of her upcoming trial, saying after Casey Anthony "invoked her right to counsel on July 16, 2008, it became improper for law enforcement to attempt to elicit her testimony in the absence of counsel," according to the motion that brought about today's hearing.

The defense cites other constitutional protections as well.

'I got sick'

During his testimony today, George Anthony said he does not recall law enforcement setting up any of the four actual meetings he and/or his wife had with Casey Anthony at the jail up through Aug. 14, 2008.

Perry just had to calm down George Anthony after he questioned the direction prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick was going. "This is a very emotional time, sir," he told Perry,

The prosecutor was asking George Anthony about his willingness to work through any means he could to find Caylee.

George says he was willing to do anything "legally or illegally" to do what it took to find his granddaughter.

He also says deputies John Allen and Yuri Melich and FBI agent discussed with him having his daughter write a letter to then-Orange County Sheriff Kevin Beary. George said he was working as an agent for both the Sheriff's Office and the FBI.

During testimony this morning, George Anthony revealed that he got ill after law enforcement told him in late July 2008 that "explicit" photos of his daughter were going to be released to the public.

Earlier in his testimony, George Anthony said his constant focus in the summer of 2008 was finding his granddaughter, Caylee Marie.

"Anywhere Casey was at, my focus was to bring Caylee home," he said.

Testimony thorough, time-consuming

A long list of motions about other evidence and legal issues is scheduled to be covered today in front of Chief Judge Belvin Perry. It's unclear if the parties will be able to make it all the way through that list today. The testimony of key witnesses so far has been thorough and time-consuming.

Hosey said he did not remember Casey being handcuffed or ordering her to be un-handcuffed. He said media reports refreshed his memory about those details.

Hosey also said she told him, "My daughter's all right" and that this was her mother causing problems. She was conveying to him the notion that this was a domestic disturbance, Hosey said.

Hosey did not, however, document his conversation with Casey Anthony or her statements to him in a report, he said.

Casey was briefly cuffed

'I'm not stupid'

Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Hering Day 2   Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:46 pm

Casey Hearing: Day 2
Witness: Sgt. Reginald Hosey, OCSO

Jose Baez took Hosey through the events at the Anthony house the night of July 15, 2008. Hosey was the supervisor responsible for 14 deputies. Hosey explained that Cpl. Rendon Fletcher was the first to arrive at the scene. Andriana Acevedo and Ryan Eberlin came next. Then, Hosey himself arrived after Cpl. Fletcher called him to say that this seemed to be more than a stolen vehicle call.
He arrived at 10:00 PM.

Once he got there, he realized that there were concerns about the fact that there was now a missing child. At this time, about 45 minutes after the last 911 call, there was no primary focus. They had the car (loaned to Casey), the stolen credit cards, then Caylee.

Hosey testified that he did not cuff Casey. Deputy Eberlin used his own discretion in cuffing her. When he heard that Eberlin had cuffed Casey, and he told him to take them off.

Apparently, at the time of his deposition, he did not remember about the handcuffing. He said he learned it from the media and Baez challenged Hosey on the rules of sequestration. Hosey said he spoke to no one about it and then said that he sat in front of the tv. Something may have come on.

Judge Perry reminded Mr. Baez to ask when he heard the media reports. Hosey said he heard it before yesterday. Yesterday's news did not effect him.

Hosey spoke with Melich that evening, although he doesn't remember the time.

At 12:45 AM, he reported the case to missing children. Baez tried to get Hosey to say Melich told him to have Casey uncuffed. Hosey didn't recall who told him to uncuff her.

There was a lot of talk about "unarrest expedite" and that Hosey didn't tell Eberlin to write one. (I'm thinking about the chaos Baez mentioned yesterday.)

I sure hope Linda Drane Burdick can straighten this out!

She elicited from Hosey that he was in charge of more than one scene that night. He spent a lot of time on his phone directing his deputies. Among other things, he directed Adriana Acevedo to take Casey to Sawgrass to verify the address.

Drane Burdick is trying to establish that Hosey had a great deal of activity going on this night, not all of it at the Anthony House.

He also sent Dep. Ryan Williams to retrieve Casey's cell phone at Tony Lazzaro's home.

Hosey reviewed his phone calls and communications he made that night.

Hosey did have contact with Casey Anthony at the scene. The parents had said her behavior was erratic and there was the issue of the car. The focus changed when Cindy Anthony brought up the missing child.

He took a short walk with Casey and she told him her parents wanted to take Caylee away from her. She told Hosey that her daughter was fine. Therefore, Hosey believed the situation to be a typical domestic call, that it was a dispute between a mother and a daughter about a child. (Personally, I would have been thinking that Casey had hidden Caylee away to thwart her parents’ threats.)

Linda Drane Burdick then went through the many details of how Casey was treated by Sgt. Hosey. We had enough examples of these. He treated her pleasantly and Casey said she was willing to help. Casey said it was just her mother causing problems for her.

Drane Burdick also pointed out that the "unarrest" policy does not pertain to people temporarily detained, but not arrested. The fact is, there was never an arrest report filed.

Baez questioned Hosey about his lack of memory of everything that happened. Hosey made it clear that the information Cindy Anthony gave him is what made the focus shift from theft to a missing child.

Having seen the Anthony family in motion over the past couple of years plus, when I think of their behavior, I can easily visualize the chaos at that home that night. Even George and Cindy, when reviewing that night, had very different stories to tell and various lapses in memory. Hosey, managing this call and others at the same time must have been a very busy man. He was probably running on auto-pilot, aided by his years of LE experience.

Witness Sgt. John Allen: OSCO

Baez elicited from John Allen the fact that he never told George or Cindy Anthony that Casey wasn't coming back.

Drane Burdick did not present any witnesses. She did mention a call Casey made which has been stipulated to. (I'm wondering if this is the first call Casey made home which is infamous?)

Motion to Suppress Statements Made to George, Cindy, Lee An
thony, Robyn Adams and Sylvia Hernandez.
Maya Derkovic is not included as the state will not use her in their case in chief.

Witness: George Anthony

Baez asked George about his state of mind during the days after Casey's arrest. George gave a brief description of the state of chaos and confusion which his life had become. His overwhelming concern with finding his granddaughter.

He was in daily contact with the Sheriff's Office. They talked a little about Casey, but his focus was to bring Caylee home. George was aware that as of the 17th, Casey had obtained Baez' representation. Baez visited their home on the 18th. After that, his relationship with law enforcement became strained. According to George, LE was questioning why she had gotten a lawyer so soon.

George originally said he "bonded" with LE and felt they sought him out more than his wife because of that bond. Lee was very outspoken and tried to help find Caylee.

The central message Baez was trying to elicit was all about how LE wanted him to speak with Casey to get as much information from Casey about Caylee as possible. (I would assume that the information they wanted from Casey was where the living child was, or where she had actually last seen her.)

There were video visitations just after Casey was arrested. Baez tried to get George to say that Yuri Melich set up the initial video visitation, but George couldn't testify to that.

On July 24, George had an interview with LE. Baez pointed out that Yuri Melich told him that the "truth lies with Casey." George agreed with that; after all, Casey was her mother

Jose went into great detail about the portion of the interview where Yuri Melich talked about Jose Baez. George said that perhaps LE wanted to use George to go around him to get to his daughter. Drane Burdick objected and when he started again, Burdick objected again. He was trying to get George's opinion on what LE wanted from him.

Just a reminder here, at that point, LE was looking for a living Caylee. At that time, Melich reminded George that he had the right to speak with his own daughter without her attorney present if she agreed. As we all know, the meeting was scheduled but never took place.

In his line of questioning, it was clear that Baez was trying to get George to admit that Melich was trying to get him to get Casey to get a lawyer who would be more amenable to working with them.

George went back to his LE experience to demonstrate that Casey's welfare was at risk if she were placed in general population. This was sort of a "carrot" to lure George into becoming an Agent of the State to keep her in protective custody.

George made an excellent point that all he cared about was Caylee. He was also concerned for Casey, but he at least knew where she was..

Baez went on and on, reading the text of his interview with LE and having George say a couple of words in agreement. Drane Burdick objected a number of times because Baez was attempting to have George opine on the motivation of LE in helping him see and speak to his daughter.

I just keep remembering all the hope we had that Caylee was alive and being held by kidnappers or that Casey had "stashed" her somewhere to keep her away from her parents. From the very beginning, Baez was treating this as a murder case. My question is, was LE trying to find a child or solve a murder at that point in time. I personally believe they had left all their options open at the time.

The remainder of the morning dealt in excruciating detail, with the meeting LE tried to set up between George Anthony and Casey. The questions went on and on forever, it seemed. The basic facts were that Baez was out of town (in New York, visiting with Geraldo). George testified that he didn't know that. Apparently, Gabriel Adam was visiting that day and talked Casey out of the meeting.

George told Baez that he couldn't "count on his fingers and toes" the number of times LE asked him to talk to Casey. He desperately wanted to find his granddaughter.

Finally to end the morning, Baez played the tape of George being driven in the car to the jail. Baez kept pausing and asking George, “did you hear....?” George would say yes. I tuned it out since I’d heard that audio before. Here it is if you want to listen for yourself!

When the audio ended, Judge Perry called for the lunch break. I’m hoping that Linda Drane Burdick starts out the afternoon questioning.

Note: when announcing plans for tomorrow, Judge Perry mentioned they would have to take a break around 10:30. It dawned on me that this hearing will now extend all the way into tomorrow!

Here’s the bad news. I have to have a bit of surgery tomorrow morning. Hopefully, I’ll be home by the time InSession ends for the day and I can watch the ending of the hearing before watching the beginning! It depends on how “out of it” I am from that darned general anaesthesia! I’ll do my very best to finish my coverage as soon as I can.

Linda Drane Burdick began her cross examination of George Anthony immediately after the lunch break. She started out giving a time line of major events early in the case beginning with Casey's initial arrest. She asked George whether or not he remembered them.

He had little recollection of testifying at the bond hearing and the hearing for the protective order. (the jail visitation videos)
Prior to Casey's arrest, he spoke very little with her about Caylee's disappearance. After her incarceration, the family set up a command center within a week after Casey's arrest. At the same time, they also set up a tip hot line. All of this was in conjunction with Kidfinders and “a lot” of other organizations.

He also did a lot of media, voluntarily and involuntarily. He met Dominic Casey (who was working for Baez as an investigator). George claimed he didn’t know exactly what Casey’s role was.

Lee Anthony had started an independent investigation of his own, although George was vague on what Lee actually did.

All in all, the Anthony family was doing quite an investigation on their own.

When Drane Burdick asked if they were attempting to get Casey to write letters to them to send through Baez. George said he had no idea what his wife and son were doing. George said Baez read some things to them from Casey in his office.

Drane Burdick also mentioned the video visitations the family had with Casey. George Anthony believed it was he who had arranged them.

At that point, he got testy with Drane Burdick and asked for a moment. Apparently, he was staring at blank papers to get his mind focused.

Then, Drane Burdick brought up the hearing for a protective order again. It seems that George Anthony had asked Jose Baez to file the motion so that he could see his daughter without the video being made public. His goal was to find Caylee and he needed information from his daughter to accomplish that. He and his family would then be able to see Casey regardless of the communication he promised with LE. (He promised that any leads he got from Casey would be passed on to them.)

George claimed he never went back to see his daughter was because he knew the videos would be released.

The family had a goal at that time that coincided with the goal of LE, to find Caylee.

George said he would have “sold his soul to the devil” to find Caylee at their time. (I imagine he considers OCSO and the FBI as devils.)

Drane Burdick also got George to admit that if LE had taken the position that it was a family issue and they weren't touching it, he would have continued to search on his own.

George then went off on a rant. Judge Perry calmed him down and refused to allow George to address him directly to make a complaint to Perry. George then shook his head.

Drane Burdick went into all the times George Anthony tried to contact his daughter.
There was even one occasion where Yuri Melich refused George's request because he didn't want to be put in "that" position. The was also testimony as to the times the OCSO and the FBI couldn't help him to talk to his daughter either. (All of this refers to the independent Anthony Family Investigation. The fact is, the family members were the Agents of the Family.)

Linda Drane Burdick then asked the big question: “So, who's agent are you?” George answered that he was an agent for the OSCO, the FBI, all of them. He said he only realized this in retrospect.

I'm not buying this. He just went on a huge rant about how he and his family would do whatever it took, legally or illegally, to get answers from Casey.

Back at the hearing for the protective order, George Anthony told the Court that if the videos were sealed, anything he found out, he would share it with LE.

Drane Burdick ended with the strong note that George Anthony was an agent for Caylee Anthony.

Jose Baez then conducted re-direct examination.

Baez brought up that he and George have butted heads over Casey. (George wanted to see his daughter, Baez didn't want anything on videotape for obvious reasons.)

As far as I can see, the only time George believed that he was an Agent of the State was during the days when he got help from LE to set up a private meeting with Casey and it didn’t work out. I also wonder if he only feels that way now because LE didn’t help him meet his impossible dream, to find a live Caylee.

Baez then attempted to get in testimony that Mark Hawkins wore an FBI wire when he went to Baez' office and the Anthony house in October, 2008. Mark was Casey’s California connection whom she called shortly before her case broke in the news.

This information never made it into testimony because Baez’ motion only covers up to August 14, 2008.

Baez then asked all sorts of "schmoozy and sentimental" questions that made George cry. One that set him off was when Baez asked him if he (Baez) told him that by not going to court one day, he could save Casey’s life, would he do it. Linda Drane Burdick objected but the judge overruled it. Baez then upped the ante on the question by adding that if he had ben subpoenaed to testify, and he were told it would save Casey or Caylee's life if he didn't show up, would he not show up. George answered he would not. He’d take the consequences to save a life. (Too bad one of those lives is beyond saving.)

Witness: Gabriel Adam: Former attorney with the Baez Law Firm

Adam was a lawyer with the Baez Law Firm at the time the case broke. There was a meeting about a meeting between George Anthony and Casey Anthony he attended. Apparently, the contents of the testimony would reveal information from the client, Casey Anthony.

Baez attempted to ask questions he Adam didn’t want to answer due to attorney-client privilege. Judge Perry intervened here and explained to Baez that he cannot use the privilege as a shield and them turn it into a sword. Once it is breached, the door is wide open. (I would think an attorney would know not to do that sort of thing.)

Adam then told the story of how he was kept waiting to visit Casey at the jail. It was the night that George was supposed to visit Casey. On his way to visit Casey, he ran into Sgt. Allen. The conversation involved an attempted visit by George Anthony without counsel being present. He told Allen that meeting would not happen.

Linda Drane Burdick brought out that the meeting never did occur.

Judge Perry asked Adam a few questions of his own. He helped made it clear that Casey had reached out to her father for a visit. Adam met with Casey and then told Allen there would be no meeting.

Witness: Lee Anthony

Lee had a lot of contact with LE after Caylee went missing. They had a daily meeting with the family and contact by e-mail and phone calls on a daily basis.

Their "catch phrase" was we can't talk to Casey, but you can.

The questioning of Lee followed along similar lines with his father, but were much shorter in duration.

It was clear from Lee’s testimony that the family was concerned that Baez was keeping Casey from talking to LE to help find her child. And, the goal of the family was to find Caylee.

I can't figure out how cooperating with LE to find a missing child becomes being an AGENT OF THE STATE.

Baez, first of all, asked if LE had bad-mouthed him. (my words) Lee said that the only thing they said was that Baez didn't return phone calls or cooperate in any way in the investigation.

He wanted to know if LE told him what to say to Casey. Baez then played a composite of 6 video clips of his visit with his sister.

The first clip was of Lee explaining how to get letters out through the court. He pointed out that Jose works for her and he is not obligated to pass information along to the family.

Lee stated that no one told him this, it was his own "train of thought.”

Lee said that Baez first focus was Casey, then Caylee. He also said that Baez’ first focus was really himself.

Lee listed his focuses as Caylee, Casey, Mom, Dad, Himself. He didn't give a s*** about anyone else. Casey agreed with this.

Lee also informed her that Baez had never returned a single call to the police department.

Sgt. Allen and Cpl. Melich were Lee’s source for this information. They wanted to open a line of communication to help find Caylee and Baez was keeping them from talking to her.

(I think you get the idea of their conversations, if you haven't seen them already, possibly a few times.)

Baez kept asking Lee of exactly what information he received from LE. This was even down to the date Caylee visited with her great-grandfather.

I can't figure out how cooperating with LE to find a missing child becomes being an AGENT OF THE STATE.

Baez then gave Lee the notes he took while conferring with LE about what to ask Casey prior to their first video-visitation. Then, he offered an e-mail dated July 26, 2008 as an exhibit. It contained what information he and the family had learned from Casey during their visits.

There was then discussion of Lee's interview with Cpl. Edwards.

Linda Drane Burdick then cross-examined Lee. She begin by mentioning that he was the first person Casey told that Caylee was missing. Upon hearing this, Cindy intervened and LE showed up to investigate.

Lee went into a state similar to "white noise" upon hearing this from his sister. He decided at that point that this was a problem and he was going to help solve the problem. Even if LE were not involved, he was going to solve this problem.

One of the first thing he did was start taking notes. He went on the computer to gather information on his own, independent of LE. He also went over to Tony Lazzaro to collect Casey's belongings. He talked to them for some time. He found a bunch of receipts after a couple of days.

Prior to her arrest, he had little time to talk to Casey. Lee shared information with his family, LE, and Mr. Baez. His investigation was independent of everyone.

He was not the one working with LE to record himself talking to Tony Lazarro. (To give Lee credit, he had a genuine laugh over that.)

He also worked with Dominic Casey, an investigator working for Mr. Baez. Casey even offered him an apprenticeship!

Lee's goal was to find Caylee. He did all these things, independent of LE to find Caylee or the people who took Caylee.

There was a great deal more questioning, but it became clear that Lee never considered himself an agent of the State. He was doing everything he could to find Caylee and save his sister.

Next, Baez began carping that Lee came into his office and copied the receipts pinned to the wall. Lee turned them over to LE and they were later turned over to the State with a subpoena.

Was Baez trying to say that Lee was not only an agent of the state, but a spy?

Lee's allegiance was one-sided. For Caylee.

Witness: Sgt. Dennis Moonsammy OCSO

Dennis Moonsammy was told to go to Lima Dorm and get a letter from Casey Anthony. This was the letter to Sheriff Beary asking to be able to meet in private with her father.

He gave the letter to Major Johnson.

Witness: Marlene Baker, Orange County Jail Employee

She works at the jail. Casey Anthony gave her a letter.

The sergeant informed her she would be getting a letter from Ms. Anthony. She put in on a desk and called for Sgt. Moonsammy to get it. He called someone more senior at the jail.

Witness: Sgt. John Allen OCSO

Jose Baez then called John Allen back to the stand and started asking what seemed to be random questions.

There was some talk of a meeting at the courthouse that never took place on August 14.

Allen said he never told George or Lee to write "the letter".

He never told Lee that Casey could write a letter to her through the court system. In fact, he didn't know there was such a mail system.

He told the family that the he only way they could talk to Casey was with arrangements with her lawyer.

The only arrangements he made with the jail about the video visitations was he asked them to record them. It was a bit confusing, but he also said it was Yuri Melich who asked them to record them.

Baez then asked if he ever make any negative comments about him? Linda Drane Burdick’s objection was sustained

This is so weird. Baez kept asking about who told who he was not doing a proper job representing Casey. Allen said the Anthony’s were always complaining to HIM about Baez.

In all Allen's years he's never set up such a meeting as was discussed earlier.

At this point, the hearing came to an end for the day. Judge Perry asked how long it would take (and I am assuming arguments for this motion) and Baez said 2 hours!

Court will be in session at 8:45 tomorrow morning! It will go all day with a break for some other business the judge has to take care of.

From what I could make out from the conference at the bench, it sounds like they will possibly hear the Motion to Strike Kathi Belich from the defense witness list first, but I can’t be sure.

I won’t be with you tomorrow, as I mentioned up above. I will be serenely unconscious early in the day and hopefully I will catch the entire hearing bit by bit.

See you all in court sometime tomorrow, perhaps a bit woozy
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Does Jose Baez Shoot a Ball into His Pocket?   Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:37 am

Does Jose Baez Shoot a Ball into His Pocket?

Posted by eggtreenews in Uncategorized. Tagged: Parody News, Casey Anthony, Caylee Anthony, jose baez, eggtreenews, anthony defense.
The following article is brought to you by Egg Tree News Correspondent Spacely “Bulldawg” Bullstopper:
-Orlando, FL
In documents recently obtained only by this station, the ultra-secret strategy of the defense team of Casey Anthony is revealed. For those who harbored doubts of the wisdom of the defense team’s recent disregard for court orders and deadlines, they may rest assured a strategy to rival Hannibal crossing the Alps is in play.
Our super confidential documents, which only we posses and no other station (tune into the 11:00pm broadcast with Tomy Popitune for more), also clears up how the defense was able to burn through so much money so quickly it was gone before the state announced their final intent to seek the death penalty.
Included in the Top Secret packet of documents is a receipt for a special-order Magic 8 Ball. Many may remember this item as a favored childhood toy, but our investigation reveals it plays a much more serious role in the preparation for this trial by the defense. Not only do the specifications for this ball require the message “Baez Rules” in large white lettering around the middle, there are also special messages included on each side of the integral twenty-sided die which is the heart of the magic and mystique of this generations-old advice assistant. Estimated cost for this wonder of the industrial age, a mere $275,000.
In a story which you will see break only on this station, we reveal all twenty special order messages, presumably authored by the lead defense attorney himself who we believe may seek the advice of this device as events unfold in this never ending drama. The ball may be designed to offer potential replies to media questions and court queries at a moment’s notice. Some of the messages may seem familiar.
1) Stranger Did It
2) [Insert Name] Did It
3) Somebody Was Confused
4) It’s A Conspiracy
5) Worry About Your Rights, Too
6) we’re Fighting For Justice
7) We’re Fighting To Save A Life
We’re Too Busy
9) State Released More Discovery
10) They Leaked It
11) There’s No Evidence
12) I Don’t Have It With Me
13) It Wasn’t Late, You Were Early
14) Ashton Wants Everything His Way
15) It Could Be Exculpatory
16) That Prejudices Us
17) Traffic, Traffic, Traffic
18) State’s Withholding Evidence
19) We Don’t Have The Resources
20) I Don’t Know Why I’m Here
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Caylee Anthony case: Magpie reports on 03/03/11 hearing   Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:01 am

Caylee Anthony case: Magpie reports on 03/03/11 hearing

Posted on March 3, 2011 by Valhall

Which comes first – to see or to perceive? Do we watch the courtroom antics of the defense and State and ‘see’ the glares? Or…do we perceive those looks to be of emotions that we relate to them?
A good lawyer friend of mine once told me that “All trials are a game. It’s about winning.” “The difference” he said “was that some attorneys play a classic game of chess, while others are shooting craps in a back alley”. So, are we watching chess or craps? Can it be both? Do I dislike his client; ergo Baez? Or…has he earned that all on his own?

To me (and the quick poll of those around me) there is an uncomfortable something between the defense and the State. Only Mr. George (atty) seems removed from the silliness. The attorney’s traits are coming out. Linda Drane Burdick is the more precise, almost mathmatical one. She takes each small step one by one and builds to her desired point. She is very petite but has an athletic build like a former swimmer or cheerleader. Mr. Jeff Ashton (still smelling dreamy) is the more dramatic, immediately to the point type. Many people in the room look to him for his expressions after a witness says something important. Mr. George comes off as the one you go have a beer with but who backs them all with an efficient congenial manner. I don’t think even Baez could muster a glare in his direction.
Cheney Mason feels like a long outdated perception of society and southern traditions. Like his mind is stuck some 20 odd years ago when he was in his prime. Most of his questions yesterday proved that. That he felt that a ‘big’ man could intimidate Casey.
Baez is the ‘youngster’ eager to prove himself . Even if its from underwater in the kiddie pool. Most of the time Baez doesn’t have enough sense to put his swimmies back on to save himself, so everyone has to share a moment and then Judge Perry throws them out to him. Once in awhile he has a good moment though.
There were alot more lookyloo’s today. Cindy was chatty before court but George and Lee just sat solemn and eyes forward. Even before court the attorneys were catty. Jeremy Lyons was there in the red version of yesterdays mock turtleneck. I’m not sure who asked, but don’t do any searches. The little emblem is an insignificant designer thing. Before court Ms. Medina was walking around with the grey suit that Casey wore today and a turqoise blouse. I guess Casey opted for the red sweater again. Cindy must bring those each day.
First witness…is the infamous “black” cop. Now…Casey never looks at the witness even if it’s family. But this guy she watched intently. Just makes me go Hmmmmmm?
While Baez is back to smirky and cocky he still left plenty of room for Judge Perry to school him on several matters. So, was she arrested then unarrested? Does anyone really buy that any Anthony was concerned over this? At least not until it served a purpose. It may work though. Yesterday during a bit of fuddle Judge Perry did mutter “I hope someone can enlighten me as to why she was in handcuffs”. I spoke to a respected attorney today who feels that it may be a technical issue but the State has enough without the “after” cuff stuff. He also said that “Agents of the State” didn’t have a chance.
Casey looked snarkie while Daddy was testifying this morning on the handcuffed issue. Her stature and demeanor visably stiffened. During a brief recess to get the audio up (of George in the car with law enforcement) George and Casey had a chance to look at each other and exchange, well, something. Neither one did. Linda Drane-Burdick and Baez appeared to exchang glares in little moments that are priceless. What do they really think of each other? Is it partly for show or is it raw emotions that they can’t hide? Casey shook her head “no” several times during the audio. She was especially dramatic with it when Sgt. Allen said “She’s the boss, not her attorney” and her father agreed. Then she looked at Baez like as with an affirmation. “See….I did good.” Towards the end of the audio when George knew that he was going to have to hear about Casey turning down the visit with him he looked like the hurt was right there again. Several in the gallery were in tears over the emotions of loss. But…not our Casey. I know that many feel that any real emotion from the Anthony’s is carefully executed sympathy stuff. But you should sit in a small room with them for a day or two and see if you feel the same. It’s easy to armchair these things. I did too. It’s just different on the little screen than from reality.
I don’t know if it showed on the video but when George was on the stand and Ms. Burdick asked him if the FBI paper stated that George was asking for a meeting, that they in no way asked or endorsed it, George answered and added that he felt tricked. Baez looked at John Allen with a school boy grin then smirked and bounced in his chair for awhile. You could almost hear him scream “Score”. But I don’t think he did. I asked someone who knows the Anthonys why George especially seemed to have so much hostility towards Linda. Was it her or her as the face of law enforcement. This person (who shall be nameless) said that the Anthonys felt very tricked by and used by law enforcement and the State. That person didn’t think it was personal to Linda. When George started to actually go off at one point the court staff left their chairs and went towards him. Judge Perry backed them down and took a few minutes to once again, prove his authority, and let George take a moment if needed. Again everyone in the room could feel George’s agony. This was during Baez’s cross where he was asking George if he would buck a subpeona to save his daughter. That seemed very cold of Baez.
Mr. Mason has rarely looked up from his papers today. There were the moments where he seemed to be trying to comfort Casey for emotions she wasn’t having. She did give Lee a small smile and teared for a second but quickly got over it. When he said…in open court….that he would have lied to her to find Caylee Casey went all dark. You can feel these changes as much as see them. It affects most of the people watching. For the first time Casey was visually nervous. She was grooming and moving the papers on her desk all over and we all knew “It’s time for Lee”. I almost wonder if they did that back and forth with Lee just to get the reaction. None of the Anthonys should ever play poker. Their emotions and behaviours are so raw and they can’t seem to stop it. Lee doesn’t have any of that outward hostility towards the state attorneys or law enforcement that we see in his parents. Is it George’s “bond” with law enforcement that makes him feel so betrayed?
To that I say…would you have done or said anything differently to find your granddaughter if you hadn’t been a cop?
…Magpie
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony's Crocodile Tears As Her Mother Testifies and Final Snub   Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:19 pm

Casey Anthony’s Crocodile Tears As Her Mother Testifies and Final Snub

The media has wrongly reported that Casey Anthony got emotional and cried when her mother was onthe stand . But the truth is that she DID NOT CRY and was NOT emotional. Her tears were fake as was and any semblance of emotion . Casey was doing her manipulative crying act with no tears even before Cindy spoke.

Casey wiped away non tears and immediately recovered from her fake non teary eyes as she carried on her charade for the first seven minutes her mother was on the stand . Then Casey. anger emerged. But for the most part Casey showed = her usual blank facial expression while her mom spoke .
Casey;s true feelings emerged when Cindy walked past Casey as she left the stand. Cindy turned to get Casey;s attention was Casey ignored her and continued to write madly indicating ther was no love lost towards her mother. Cindy
Before the proceedings Casey begins her grooming ritual .

Although her hair is pulled away from her face in a pony tail , she still manages to paly with her hair as an integral part of her grooming ritual.

As her mother first takes the stand , Cindy, who is a lot heavier than she was the last time she testified, turns around to look at Casey, who ignores her

Before Cindy testified , Casey began with her fake tear wipes as she sticks her thumb into the corner of her eye so she can irritate the eye and get it to water.

Here Casey is trying to conjure up some emotion but it is not working. So she bites her lip to look sad and upset, but fails miserably. If she was really in tears the corners of her lips would be coursing down not straight across as you see here, Adding to the false emotional expression are her eyes not squinting as one ususally does when crying. Instead the eyes are opened wide. Her raised forehead also shows the falseness. When one cries their forehead isn’t raised but lowered.
Casey shows no sadness that would indicate crying, however she continues to wipe away fake tears from both cheeks.

Here Casey tries her best to conjure up the cry, However, there are no tears. When one cries, one always tears . Clearly she has used this phony crying act all her life to manipulate her mother to get her way . Casey’s hand is also covering her cheek in order to to catch a phony non tear.

Here is the tearless wipe as she tries to wipe away a non running nose.

There is a too immediate of a recovery from the teary expression indicating falseness. Casey is also pursing her lips which indicate deception - crying real tears of emotion.

Here is more bad acting from Casey. Look at how she presses her two fingers right up under her right eye to try and press out a tear. Those crying real tears, cry bilaterally, not one eye individually.

Casey wipes away non tears from her other eye where no tears were evident on either eye.

Here we see Casey checking out her non tear . Observe her blank non emotional facial expression . This is NOT indicative of a somoene showing real and genuine emotion.

Here we observe Casey’s false attempt to show her emotions as she closely examines a fake non tear which obviously did not land in the palm of her hand.Once again, note her blank unemotional expression and she focuses on the non tear in the palm of her hand.

Here we see how Casey really feels about her mother . A true leakage of her real emotion of ANGER is evident as she listens to her VCindy’s testimony. Observe the jaw tennsion at the side of her face. Look at her glaring eyes , angry pursed lips and tight muscles around the lips which clearly indicate disdain towards her mom.

Within seconds Casey shifts back into her blank emotional facial expression as she start s to write things down on her pad .

As Cindy says that she cried and put her head in her husbands chest, Casey looks up. She is wide eyed but has a blank emotion. When Cindy said she was crying this is when Casey should have been crying and showing some empatuy towards her mother , however Caset showed no feelings or empathy.
When her motehr was asked if she was the one who brought the officers into her house, Casey detached and stared vacantly at her non tear she was squeezing between two fingers. This is the point Casey should have been showing some emotion as it was the turning point in her life. This was when her mother invited the police over home.

Casey starts to hair groom around 27 minutes into her mother’s testimony where she became completely detached from Cher mom while continuing to focus on what she is writing .

AS Cindy speaks of the officers coming to her home Casey leaks out an expression showing disdain. She looks up at her mother with a tight lipped appearance which indicates anger.

Now we observe Casey scribbling on her legal pad for 45 minutes into the trial and rarely looking up at Cindy.

This is where we clearly observe how Casey really feels about Cindy. Cindy is conflicted but needs to answer every question honestly and openly. She obviously has feelings towards Casey. But as she leaves the stand and walks in front of her saughter and turns her face and body towards Casey, she hopes that Casey will look up and acknowledge her. But that dopes not happen as you look at the right corner of the screen. Casey’s head is down as she refuses to acknowledge her mother at all, indicating her passive aggressive anger towards her mother.

IN RETROSPECT CASEY MAY NOT BE ABLE TO SHOW COMPASSION FOR ANYONE BUT CASEY
Months ago I wrote a blog where it looked like Casey was genuinely happy when one of her lawyers who got sworn in.
In retrospect , especially after I observed this video of Casey I see that she was most likely not happy for anyone else other than herself. Maybe she was amused by the excitement or thrilled because now there would be t another person to break up up her boredom and pay some attention to her while she is in jail.
At the time I said she may be compassionate, I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, but after watching her at a time where genuine emotion and concern were supposed to occur, especially when her own mother took the stand, a much different picture of Casey emerges .
It is a picture of a young womann devoid she is of compassion and real motion when her own mom took the stand. Her manipulative phony crocodile tears convince me that Casey Anthony seems to be absent of any genuine emotion and most likely is a sociopath. www.drlillianglass.com
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Detective Questioned At Anthony Hearing   Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:22 pm

Detective Questioned At Anthony Hearing

Casey Anthony Charged With Murder In Death Of Daughter

POSTED: Friday, March 4, 2011
UPDATED: 9:51 am EST March 4, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Casey Anthony returned to court Friday for a third consecutive day as her defense and the state continued to argue motions leading up to her trial, which is scheduled to begin in May.

VIDEO: George Anthony | Sergeant | Parents

Anthony's lead attorney, Jose Baez, questioned Orange County sheriff's detective Yuri Melich, asking him about George Anthony visiting his daughter in jail in 2008.
The defense wants statements Casey Anthony made to her parents while in jail thrown out by arguing they were acting as agents of the state.
On Thursday, George Anthony said he was only acting as an agent for his granddaughter.
Anthony, 24, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her daughter, Caylee Marie Anthony.
Caylee was 2 years old when she was reported missing in July 2008, one month after being last seen by her grandparents. Caylee's remains were discovered by a meter reader in December 2008.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony Hearing: Cincy Anthony says detectives didn't trust Baez    Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:30 pm

Casey Anthony hearing: Cindy Anthony says detectives didn't trust Baez

Earlier, Chief Judge Belvin Perry denied a request to call a TV reporter as a witness in the Casey Anthony murder case

By Anthony Colarossi, Orlando Sentinel

12:16 p.m. EST, March 4, 2011

The mother of accused murderer Casey Anthony took the stand this morning on the third day of crucial pretrial hearings in her daughter's murder case.
Cindy Anthony testified about what investigators said about her daughter's defense attorney, Jose Baez, shortly after her granddaughter was reported missing.
She said law enforcement "didn't like Mr. Baez. It was very clear from Day One." She said lead investigators said Baez was not interested in finding Caylee and they did not trust him.
Cindy said she shared phone messages claiming to have possible details about Caylee. She shared these with the investigators, and Detective John Allen told her, "He felt those phone calls were set up by Mr. Baez," she said. She added that Allen told her, "I wouldn't put it past him. That's just the way he is."
Members of the Anthony family have been testifying this week because the defense team wants to prove Anthony family members and others were "acting as agents of the state" and soliciting information from Casey Anthony inside the Orange County Jail, even though she had hired an attorney.

Doing that would help the defense prevent statements she gave her family members and others while in jail from surfacing at trial.
During cross examination, prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick asked Cindy Anthony: "At no time did you assist (investigators) in building a case against Casey?"
Cindy responded" "Not knowingly or willingly."
She completed her testimony and left the stand at about 11:20 a.m.
Anthony, 24, is accused of killing 2-year-old daughter Caylee Marie Anthony in 2008. Her trial is set to start May 9. She faces the possibility of the death penalty if convicted.
TV reporter won't testify
Earlier today, Chief Judge Belvin Perry denied a request to call a TV reporter as a witness in the Casey Anthony murder case, saying journalists shouldn't be subjected to "fishing expeditions."
His decision came this morning on the third day of crucial pretrial hearings in the Anthony case. An attorney for WFTV-Channel 9 and its reporter, Kathi Belich, opposed the request from defense attorney, Jose Baez, to call Belich as a witness.
Attorney Gregg Thomas said he's tried to communicate with Baez without success to find out why defense wants her to testify. Another defense attorney, Cheney Mason, said a "reporter's privilege" is not absolute and that she "injected herself" into the case not to cover it "but to participate in it."
Mason wanted more information through deposition about Belich's involvement with an inmate who had contact with Anthony in jail. They also wanted to talk to her about Laura Buchanan, the EquuSearch volunteer who became subject of an investigation.
But Perry said journalists talk to witnesses everyday without knowing how significant or insignificant they are to cases.
The privilege granted reporters promotes the First Amendment right to free speech and aids newsgathering sources, he said. If he were to force Belich to become a witness for the defense based on the arguments made in court today, Perry said it would open up every reporter to "fishing expeditions" by attorneys. He said the defense had not met its burden and granted WFTV's motion to protect Belich from being called as a witness and subpoenaed for a deposition or hearing, or both.
The decision effectively means Belich can continue covering the case without fear she will become part of it.
Later, the sparring attorneys came to an agreement – with the help of Perry.
Baez apologized in open court to Jeff Ashton. They've apparently settled the issue Ashton filed in a motion asking if Baez should be held in contempt. Baez and Ashton just shook hands. Baez said sometimes a lawyer's advocacy takes over his judgment.
Perry encouraged them to work this matter out and they did. He thanked them for reaching an agreement.
Detective: No 'false premise'
Also this morning, Baez this morning questioned Detective Yuri Melich about concerns Melich elicited help from George Anthony on how to get more information.
Melich told Baez investigators "weren't sending anyone" into the Orange County Jail to speak on behalf of investigators.
The detective said George Anthony was not approached to meet with his daughter and gather information under a "false premise." But he does acknowledge talking to George Anthony about the Melinda Duckett case, a suicide and missing-child case, and the "hierarchy" in the jail related to people suspected of child neglect.
Baez says, "You were saying if people in the jail don't get her, she'll end up killing herself."
Melich did not agree with that characterization.
Under cross examination, Melich told prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick that the Anthonys expressed frustration to him about not getting into the jail early in the case.
He did not want to shut the door in the Anthonys' faces, but also was not manipulating them to do law enforcement's bidding. As for asking for letters to be sent to law enforcement, Melich said he suggested this was one way to communicate, but Melich says,"I never directed him (George) to tell her to write us a letter."
This is breaking news story. Check back later for updates.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Day 3 od Casey Anthony hearings - Motion to find defense in contempt dropped   Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Day 3 of Casey Anthony hearings - Motion to find defense in contempt dropped

By Jacqueline Fell, Reporter
Last Updated: Friday, March 04, 2011 12:33 PM

ORLANDO --

This week's hearings in the case against Casey Anthony were expected to be over by Thursday.
But things haven't been going as quickly as planned, and potentially pivotal testimony has entered day three.
Friday is expected to be another long day in court, as testimony is finally expected to focus on two pieces of evidence the defense wants dismissed from Casey's upcoming murder trial:

• Letters between Casey and her pen pal in jail, Robyn Adams,
  • Alleged evidence of chloroform found in Casey's car.

————————————————————————
Updates from the hearing

12:30 p.m. -- Hearings are done for the day.
12:10 p.m. -- Defense attorney Jose Baez apologizes directly to assistant state attorney Jeff Ashton for any personal or professional attacks. Ashton accepts the apology, and wants drop the motion asking court find him in contempt.
11:57 a.m. -- The defense team has just left the courtroom. Casey remains seated, writing on her legal pad.
11:55 a.m. -- Now discussing the state's motion to strike the defendant's supplemental witness list.
The defense said it will not call the witnesses at issue, so that's it for that motion.
11:48 a.m. -- Video of Casey in jail reacting the day Caylee's remains were found will not be reference at all during trial.
11:45 a.m. -- Both sides also agreed not to call someone a "liar." Judge Perry has been granting these motions rapidly.
11:44 a.m. -- Judge is not ready to rule on evidence motion yet. He wants to read depositions first.
Now discussing a number of motions concerning testimony during the guilt portion of the upcoming trial. Both sides agreed no testimony as to personal opinion.
11:38 a.m. -- Judge Perry said he wants depositions of experts.
11:33 a.m. -- The defense wants to exclude evidence concerning chloroform.
Jeff Ashton said defense expert Dr. Hall's testimony is not based on science, just his opinion based on all his experience.
Dorothy Clay-Sims argued it is not just pure opinion, and should be subject to a Frye hearing.
11:30 a.m. -- Now arguing a motion to strike the defendant's motions to exclude unreliable evidence. Assistant state Attorney Jeff Ashton and the defense's newest attorney, Dorothy Clay-Sims, are arguing.
11:22 a.m. -- The defense said it does not have any other witnesses concerning the motion to suppress statements to the Anthony family. Attorneys are in sidebar.
11:19 a.m. -- Cindy Anthony has finished testifying. She said she did not knowingly help investigators build a case against her daughter.
11:10 a.m. -- Cindy is now being cross-examined by the state. When she last testified on Wednesday, the two became argumentative, and Cindy said, "I'm not stupid."
11:02 a.m. -- Cindy is talking about Casey's cell phone, and now says investigators suggested that she talk to Casey, because they couldn't.
Of note, George Anthony is still in the courtroom. During the previous two days of testimony, one of Casey's parents had to leave while the other testified.
10:57 a.m. -- Court is back in session, with Cindy Anthony taking the stand. Casey is not showing any emotion this time, and continues writing in her legal pad.
10:18 a.m. -- Cindy Anthony was about to be called to testify, but state prosecutors said they wanted to finish cross-examination of Sgt. John Allen, who testified at end of day Thursday.
George Anthony chuckled and shook his head when the state asked Sgt. Allen if he was trying to get George or Lee to talk to Casey in jail and report information back to them.
Court is on break until 10:50 a.m., but before calling recess, Judge Perry told all attorneys he will not stand for editorial comments. He told them they are all seasoned attorneys and should know better, and he will punish them if it continues in his courtroom.
The judge's stern comments came when the state objected, saying Jose Baez was "editorializing."
9:59 a.m. -- Detective Yuri Melich admits to lying to the Anthony family during the investigation. He is done testifying.
9:52 a.m. -- Melich continues to answer "no" when asked if he asked any member of the Anthony family to talk with Casey and report back with information.
9:48 a.m. -- Casey has been writing in her legal pad and looking at the defense's iPad while Detective Melich is cross-examined.
9:34 a.m. -- Detectives told George Anthony they had "explicit" photos of his daughter, and that they would soon be released to the public. George was so upset, he ran into the bathroom and threw up.
The state is now cross-examining Detective Melich.
9:29 a.m. -- The defense says Yuri Melich and other investigators were using George Anthony as an agent of the state, and trying to get them to get information from Casey.
Melich told George he was concerned Casey may kill herself, mentioning the case of Melinda Duckett, and he feared they may never find out where Caylee is.
He also told George he was concerned for Casey's safety in jail. He told George people will prey on people who are accused of hurting a child.
The defense said Melich did this to scare George Anthony into finding out information from Casey about Caylee's whereabouts.
9:23 a.m. -- George Anthony is in the courtroom.
9:20 a.m. -- Court has now moved on to a motion to suppress statements made to family members. Thursday's hearing ended on this with Sgt. John Allen. He is expected to testify for two more hours.
But in order to accommodate another officer's schedule, they are first questioning Detective Yuri Melich.
9:17 a.m. -- Judge Perry grants a motion to subpoena, saying the defense failed to show burden. The local reporter will not be called as a witness.
8:57 a.m. -- At attorney for a local television station is arguing a motion to keep a local reporter out of the courtroom. The defense said the reporter injected herself into the story and fed information to an alleged jailhouse friend of Casey Anthony's.
8:55 a.m. -- Late start is blamed on clothing. It took time for the defense to get clothes to Casey. Judge Perry said he will not wait again.
8:53 a.m. -- Day 3 of critical hearings is now under way. Judge Belvin Perry is upset things are starting late. Hearing was scheduled to begin at 8:45.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Hearing Day 3: No Contempt For Baez   Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:27 pm

Casey Hearing Day 3: No Contempt For Baez

Anthony's Parents Testify For Third Day

POSTED: 12:54 pm EST March 4, 2011
UPDATED: 1:16 pm EST March 4, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Prosecutors agreed Friday to not ask that Casey Anthony defense attorney Jose Baez be found in contempt of court.

The mutual agreement was announced just before three days of hearings came to a close.

Prosecutor Jeff Ashton had asked that Baez explain why he shouldn't be held in contempt of court for missing a court deadline.

Just before the conclusion of the hearing, Ashton announced to Judge Belvin Perry that the two sides cam to a resolution.

Baez then apologized to the court and to Ashton.

"I would never disregard an order that your honor would issue in a case like this," Baez said. "I believe in what I'm doing as a defense lawyer. Many times in the course of a lawyer fulfilling his passion, sometimes a lawyer's advocacy takes over for his professional judgment."

Baez said he had apologized directly to Ashton.

Earlier in the morning, the court heard testimony in relation to a defense motion that hopes to get some of Anthony's statements thrown out. Her defense team argues that law enforcement used her own family as "agents" to get information.

Anthony's parents, George and Cindy Anthony, took the stand for the third day in a row.

Cindy Anthony said that detectives often encouraged her to try and get information from Casey, but stopped short of accusing law enforcement of using her to help them build their case.

The case's lead detective, Yuri Melich, denied that he controlled or coached the Anthonys in any way.

Perry also heard arguments regarding two motions by the state regarding chloroform and plant growth. It was the first time defense attorney Dorothy Clay Sims spoke in open court about the case. Sims, an Ocala attorney, joined the Anthony defense team in September.

No decisions on the motions were made, except for a motion by WFTV to remove one of its reporters from a defense witness list. Perry granted that motion.

The case heads back to court next week. Perry said he would hear more testimony then regarding the motions to suppress Anthony's statements. A date has not been set for the hearing but WESH.com will stream the proceedings live.

Jury selection for Anthony's murder trial is scheduled to begin May 9.2011

Copyright 2011 by WESH.COM.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Anthony Family Remains Focus on Hearing   Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:35 pm

Anthony Family Remains Focus Of Hearing

Casey Anthony Charged With Murder In Death Of Daughter

POSTED: Friday, March 4, 2011
UPDATED: 1:07 pm EST March 4, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Casey Anthony returned to court Friday for a third consecutive day as her defense and the state continued to argue motions leading up to her trial, which is scheduled to begin in May.

VIDEO: Father | Sergeant | Emotions

Anthony's lead attorney, Jose Baez, first questioned Orange County sheriff's detective Yuri Melich, asking him about George Anthony visiting his daughter in jail in 2008.
Orange County sheriff's Sgt. John Allen and Anthony's mother, Cindy Anthony, also took the stand.
The defense is trying to prove that Anthony's family members were acting as agents of the state when they talked to Casey Anthony while she was in jail.
The state said Anthony's family members were pressuring law enforcement officials to find Anthony's daughter, Caylee, who was reported missing, and were only trying to assist the family.
"When you're having discussions with the Anthonys, whether it's on the record or off the record, is it your intent, as has been suggested today, that you manipulated them to do your bidding?" prosecutor Linda Drane-Burdick said.
"No," Melich said.
If the defense can show that Anthony's family members were acting as agents of the state, statements made by Anthony after her arrest in 2008 could be barred from being presented at trial.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony - So Much To Do   Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:01 pm

Casey Anthony – So Much To Do

03/04/2011 donchais Leave a comment

For those of you following these motions hearings, I’m sure you will agree it’s been a long few days and it feels we haven’t made a whole lot of progress. That said, these are critical motions and will shape the course of the upcoming trial.

What I find intriguing is the fact Mr. Baez indicates so many were agents of the state! Throughout the testimony yesterday, I was struck, time-and-time again, with the family’s desperation and their attempts to doing anything to find Caylee – they were dealing with what they thought was a missing child! Remember this was in the early days, long before the family switched gears and tried to circle the wagons around to protect Casey.
What also stuck out was Baez’s questioning. He repeatedly asked if LE had been bad mouthing him and the job he was doing representing Casey. This, to me seemed not to have much to do with being agents of the state, but more with Baez being overly concerned with public perception about him and his trying to identify anyone who may have dissed him!
WFTV will be in court bright and early to argue against Baez claiming Kathi Belich as a witness in this case. Read the motion here.
The extreme anxiety the hard-hitting Belich causes both Baez and Mason is well documented in print and on video. Most agree this is a frivolous and childish attempt to punish Belich and WFTV by using sequestration of witnesses to exclude Belich from the courtroom during trial!

Hair pulled up in a bun, Casey sports a green blouse under the grey blazer.

Gregg Thomas in court for WFTV and argues that attorneys must provide reasonable information that proves the reporter has critical information regarding the case that cannot be gained any other way.
Thomas says he has asked Baez for information about the reason for the motion but Baez has not replied! Thomas indicates Kathi has never spoken to Laura Buchanan and Maya Derkovich was interviewed and that interview tape is widely available.Cheney Mason claims that Belich did not report, but rather she inserted herself in the case by talking with Maya and spoon fed Maya Derkovich information for her interview.

Mason says that a remedy could be to subpoena Belich for deposition. Mason claims that Belich intimidated Laura Buchanan to disrupt her continuing her deposition.
Mason claims Robyn Adams and Maya were in a conspiracy and Belich is critical to that. Mason admits that Adams was only deposed last week by Baez and Derkovich has never been deposed by the defense!
Baez jumps up to the podium now because Mason doesn’t know the particulars!
BTW, we haven’t heard much from Mason as he is suffering from a slight case of laryngitis.
Perry asks what Adams would testify to. Baez says conversations and letters between her and Casey.
Perry asked if they asked Adams about Kathi Belich. Baez says no. Perry wants to know how there was a conspiracy because it takes two for a conspiracy.
We already know the State isn’t using Maya.
Perry wants to know what they would call Belich for. Baez says in case they call Derkovich. Perry wants to know, not if they call Derkovich, but are they calling her. Baez says we might!
Perry doesn’t seem to be going for this at all and he denies the motion on first amendment right from the bench! He says the defense failed in carrying its burden. The subpoena is quashed and Belich is free!
Back to the agents of the state issue – Det. Melich is called to accommodate his schedule.
Baez pretty much covers the same territory he covered with George. He intimates that Melich tried to use scare tactics on George to get him to get information from Casey. Baez asks Melich if he spoke to George about the Duckett case – missing child and the young mother committed suicide and the possibility that Casey may kill herself. You also told him about the hierarchy in the jail so he would know Casey might be hurt in jail. You also brought him in to hear the 911 tapes and to let him know the pictures were going to be released.
Melich says yes, it was a courtesy and it was George who called and asked to see LE away from Cindy!
In fact Detective, George got sick during that meeting and threw up in the bathroom. Melich says he wasn’t in the bathroom, but he understood that.
Linda Drane Burdick asked how much contact Melich had with the Anthony’s during the July/August timeframe. Melich said numerous times.
Did the Anthony’s express frustration with not speaking with Casey? Yes. And the Anthony’s want anybody who can talk to Casey to get answers from her? Yes.
Linda asks if the family complained to him about the lawyer Casey had hired and that he was the one blocking their access to Casey. Melich says yes!
The family repeatedly asked for someone to go talk to her? Yes!
And you repeatedly had to tell them that with Casey in custody and the fact she had a lawyer, she had certain rights and you could not solicit information from her? Yes!
Eventually, you began to butt heads with Cindy? Yes, she felt we weren’t doing all we could. The same is true for George and Lee? Yes.
George had better watch himself…shaking his head ‘no’ to Melich’s testimony, making faces…just what the Judge admonished about yesterday!
Baez tries to get into areas outside the scope of the motion and Burdick objects to. A sidebar is called.
Baez says Melich and LE didn’t give any information to the media til after Casey was under arrest. Melich say correct.
Burdick asks that be stricken from the record as outside of the scope.
Melich is released.
Next, John Allen is recalled because Linda Drane Burdick never got the opportunity to cross yesterday.
Did you tell George, Cindy or Lee to go to the jail to gather information from Casey and relay it back to you? No.
You constantly encouraged George to get Casey to speak to law enforcement without Mr. Baez present? No ma’am.
Did you encourage Cindy or Lee to get information from Casey without Mr. Baez being present? No ma’am.
Perry admonishes both sides about editorial comments and remarks – Perry’s patience is wearing thin with the animosity between the defense and prosecution.
Perry has an obligation to take care of so court is recessed for about 45 minutes.
Court resumes at 10:55 a.m. and Cindy Anthony is called by the defense.
Mason wants to know if Casey’s cell phone…sidebar called
What did Det. Melich say to you about Casey’s telephone?
He gave the phone to my husband and I asked him if Casey could use the phone and Melich said yes.
Cindy says she spoke with LE numerous times every day.
You wanted to see your daughter after Casey was arrested? Yes.
You have conversations with LE trying to arrange a meeting? Yes.
Did they say they couldn’t talk with her because she had a lawyer, but you could? Yes.
Did LE talk about Mr. Baez? Yes, Sgt. Allen didn’t like or trust Mr. Baez.
Linda objects and Judge sustained.
Did Mr. Melich or Allen say why they didn’t like Mr. Baez? Yes, because they said Mr. Baez wasn’t interested in finding Caylee and I should not trust him.
Cindy says LE helped set up a meeting with Casey on the 24th. She said Melich told her the time and place for the meeting.
Did you have messages from Melich or Allen? Did any of the voice mails indicate that Mr. Baez was not to be trusted? Yes. I had received several anonymous calls regarding Caylee which I gave to LE. Sgt Allen told me he thought the calls were set up by Mr. Baez.
Feed dropped…Linda Drane Burdick on cross.
On July 25th the media followed you to the first visitation with Case. There are signs at the center that say the visit may be video taped? Yes.
Once the tapes were released to the public you asked Mr. Baez to block the release of the tapes so you could speak to Casey alone? Yes.
And you did that so you could get information from Casey? That wasn’t the only reason.
But it was a reason? Yes, one of them.
Regardless of the tapes, you returned to the jail to visit Casey because your motivation was to find Caylee not concern about privacy? Correct.
Eventually you were unhappy with the police and how the stopped responding or communicating with you.? Yes.
Regardless of the police, you still had your tip line, and used the media to help find Caylee? Correct.
Did you yourself assist police in building a case against Casey? Not knowingly or willingly.
Cindy steps down.
Casey pretty much ignored her mother today.
Defense has no more witnesses. State has no witnesses.
Mason calls for a sidebar…
Next motion will be Unreliable Evidence – root growth and chloroform.
Ashton argues defense must cite why chloroform should be excluded. There is no citation to authority that Oak Ridge science is novel.
Root growth by Dr. Hall is done by 50 years experience in botany and it is clearly noted as opinion.
It should not be the State’s burden, the defense must show why these items should be excluded.
Dorothy Sims claims the defense against chloroform is that trace chloroform cannot be used and is not supported.
Botany – defense does not agree that Dr. Hall is giving opinion. No scientific study that supports Dr. Hall’s experiment.
Of course Sims claims the State has the burden to prove these techniques are acceptable. There is no science to support this.
Ashton says Sims used the word ‘experiment’ several time and nowhere in the depo does it refer to ‘experiment’.
Sims talks a mile a minute without taking a breath! She also argues medical decisions not scientific.
Perry reserves decision until he reviews all the depositions. Ashton says he won’t find several depositions because the defense hasn’t filed them yet. Baez says he can file. We should have a ruling next week.
Next motion, Burdick prefaces her case by saying most of the items are addressed by court decorum. She addresses testimony or opinion of council as to the guilt or no guilt…Mason jumps up and says defense agrees.
Granted
Next character references by witnesses regarding guilt…Mason agrees that is irrelevant.
Granted
With no evidentiary information, the term liar cannot be given as a personal opinion.
Granted
As to the leaks or improper acts by the SAO or LE cannot be brought up in opening statements because the defense cannot identify a single individual caused any of these issue
Mason says this is too broad.
Perry asks whats the relevancy on either side that someone may have leaked something to the media?
Perry grants the motion saying at trial it can be brought up at sidebar.
Next State motion to Strike Supplemental Witness List.
Linda say Baez filed a response. A former boyfriend would be brought in regarding the diary and when it was written. The State won’t try to block him as a witness because they understand why he was added so late.
Marvin Schecter, attorney from NY has now been removed from the list.
Kathi Belich is already off!
That’s all done.
Perry calls a sidebar…
Next motion Show cause – Ashton and the defense have been working behind the scenes to resolve the issue of the reports being late – Sims hand wrote an agreement which is entered into record.
Next Baez addresses the court
He said he would never disregard an order issued by the court. Baez calls himself and advocate, a defense attorney, and a court officer.
He claims his advocacy sometimes gets the better of him.
He apologizes to Mr. Ashton for any attacks publically and privately he made. Baez claims to have great respect for the defense attorneys and their passion.
Ashton accepts the apology and the Motion is ended.
Perry address both side and says it is his job to settle them down when emotions get the best of them. He also says he knows their motivations are pure. The system doesn to work unless both sides do their duty. Perry thanks them for doing what he asked them to do, they did it with decency.
Court in recess.
It appears the status hearing will happen at 1:30 or not, I’m confused, lol!
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony 4 March morning session happenings   Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:05 pm

Casey Anthony 4 March morning session happenings

Filed under Casey Anthony
Started late! They had to wait on clothes for Casey! The Judge WILL NOT wait again for anything and court will start at the said time!!
WFTV:
The morning started off with the Kathi Belich motion. Mr. Thomas started off with the reporters in FL have a statue that prohibits them from testifying! Laura Buchanan said she had contact with Kathi, there has been no contact with Kathi B. Maya Derkovic interview can be found on WFTV. They said they had no information from Baez.
Defense Mason:
He claims Baez faxed paperwork over to them. Maya Derkovic reportedly in a conspiracy with Robyn Adams against Casey. They are saying that Kathi Belich participated in a conspiracy against Laura Buchanan. They said that they did not put Kathi on the list to keep her out of the courtroom.
Judge
Robyn Adams has had her depo done last week, and Maya Derkovic has given a statement. Robyn Adams has stated statement about Casey. If Robyn Adams is called by the State to testify, what would Robyn Adams testify, on statements made by Casey. Were questioned asked of Adams, about Kathi Belich. No Questions were asked about Kathi Belich! Baez is claiming that the tape is edited and it could have more info behind it.
What do you hope to gain by talking to Kathi Belich. Maya Derkovic will be used to impeach Robyn Adams, but Maya Derkovic is not a witness on the state.
WFTV:
Anything on the site is every word.
JUDGE: DENIED! Kathi Belich is NOT on the defense teams witness list! The defense failed to show that they have cause and relevant.
• Suppress Statements made by George, Cindy and Lee Anthony, Maya Derkovic, Robyn Adams and Sylvia Hernandez.
Detective Melich:
He asked George what he thought should be done. They wanted to find out where Caylee was. Melich was asking George what his opinion was. The visit was not setup by Melich. Melich called the jail to find out how to go about setting one up for George. Melich asked the Jail to record every visitation. The request was made immediately after the arrest to video tape any visitors. Melich assisted with information to the A’s on how to set up an appointment. Melich does not recall when the A’s had the first visit. George wanted to talk to LE, and they came in to listen to them. George called and said he wanted to talk to them without Cindy. LE sent NO One in as a false friend. Geo was at a sensitive state, and still is! Le was afraid that Casey would kill herself and they would never find Caylee. That is too bad she didn’t. They found Caylee. Baez sure knows a lot about what Melich was saying and what he was doing. Baez doesn’t want to misconstrue Melich’s words…just put words in his mouth.
State:
It was 8 days after Casey’s arrest. Melich had contact multiple times from July 17-24. Maybe 25 times they have been in contact. During the 8 days, Cindy, George or Lee expressing frustration they can’t get in the jail and they want to see her. The Anthony’s were very frustrated. Melich asked to video tape EVERY person who visits Casey. Casey had non family visitors and it was caught on tape! Melich had no contact with the Patrick who was the first to non family member to visit the princess! At any time did you tell George for Casey to write a letter to anyone. He was not directed to write a letter to them! George had concerns about the lawyer Casey had. The Lawyer was blocking everyone’s access to Casey, and he told the A’s that he can’t talk to her and she had certain rights. Baez objected there was no line number or page. Over ruled! The A’s were insistent for someone to go and talk to her. Lee was telling LE that there were certain individuals that Casey would talk to. Appy Wells and the FBI are the only ones Casey would talk too! Not Melich! Cindy Anthony was repeatedly spoke her opinion that they were not doing enough. Melich did not tell the A’s to go to the jail and gather information from Casey. They were never told to relay certain info back to Melich. LE never encouraged the A’s to speak to Melich without Baez.
Defense:
Le told the A’s that she could talk to Casey and ask where Caylee was. Melich lied to Casey that she was suspect. When he talked to Casey and said her version was suspect, there was no reason to mirandize Casey was truth. No press release was done about the missing child. No one notified a press release that Caylee was missing until after Casey was arrested.
State the strike the entire questioning of Baez from the record. Denied!
Finally Sgt Allen is back on the stand for cross:
Sgt. Allen never told the A’s to go to the jail and relay info back to them. George was encouraged to talk to Casey.
Cindy Anthony up after the break:
She swore to tell the truth. Casey’s telephone up! Casey phone was left at Tony Lazzaro’s house. One of the officers [Hosey] left and retrieved the phone! After he returned from taking Casey around, he gave the phone to Cindy. They wanted Casey to be able to use it. How many times has she had conversation between Melich, and Allen. Numerous times she has spoke with them. Sometimes they would call and Cindy would call! They spoke daily! Cindy wanted to see her daughter. She had conversation with LE about arranging these meetings, visits! They told Cindy that she can talk to Casey anytime. They couldn’t speak with her. They did talk about disliking Baez. EVERYONE dislikes Baez. CINDY and GEORGE disliked Baez. Cindy wanted to see Casey. Cindy got a phone call from Melich about a time and place to meet with Casey. Of course everyone else, including George said he set it up. Was there a voice mail stating that Baez was manufacturing reasons not to see Casey. Cindy received these phone call, Allen said that Baez is the one who setup the phone calls. It was not proved!
Cross:
Cindy’s motive was in calling police, getting Casey was to find Caylee. When she testified a bond hearing to release her on bond to Cindy’s custody. On motivations to doing this was to find Caylee and get info from Casey. Cindy wanted Baez to stop the release of the video recording. So Cindy could talk to Casey and get information from Casey. They went back even though the video’s were being recording and released. Cindy attended the hearing, on the 29th of July even knowing they would be released. Melich and Allen were not returning calls and Cindy was directed to speak with someone else, instead of the Detectives. Cindy would have sought elsewhere to get help in finding Caylee, had LE stopped all communications. Cindy stated they did not stop! She did utilize the media! At no point in time did Cindy assist in helping build a case against Casey. Not knowingly, she said!
• State of Florida’s Strike defendants Motion to exclude unreliable evidence pursuant to Frye[Chloroform and Plant or Root Growth] Judge will read the motions and do some research!
• Motion in Limine to suppress video footage, Casey’s reaction to the media coverage of Caylee being found. GRANTED
• State of Florida’s Motions in Limine. GRANTED
• State of Florida’s Strike Defendants supplemental Witness list. Names were withdrawn!
• State of Florida’s Motion for Rule to show Cause. ~Ms Simms will submit a proper notice. Baez would never disregard any order given by the Courts, AGAIN! The court has had sufficient times to see he is adequate. He is an officer of the court. Many times in the lawyer’s advocacy takes over for his official decision. Sorry I attacked you Mr Ashton in private or public. I have a great a great deal of amount of respect for the prosecutors and their dedication to their work.
Mr. Ashton accepts it.
The Judge said emotions will restrain you. Emotions are pure and this system of Justice is not the perfect, but it works if both sides do their duty, if they don’t the system is broke! Both sides have done what he asked in this matter!
PICTURES from the hearing
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony Back in Court   Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:09 pm

Friday, March 04, 2011

Casey Anthony Back in Court

The pre-circus continues. Statement Analysis in bold type.

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Casey Anthony and her attorneys were back in the courtroom Friday morning as a scheduled 2-day hearing pushed into a third day.

Things got heated fast with Judge Belvin Perry reprimanding Casey Anthony for arriving to the courtroom late. The hearing was scheduled for 8:45am, but Casey didn't arrive until around 8:50am.

Judge Perry explained that he would not wait for "clothes" to start the hearing and said that when he sets a hearing for 8:45am, it needs to start at that time. Apparently, Casey's clothes were late arriving for her at the courthouse.
After that bit of procedural reprimand, things got started with WFTV's own attorney, Greg Thomas, arguing to strike WFTV reporter Kathi Belich from the defendant's witness list (read motion).

Thomas argued that, because Belich is a reporter, she is protected by rules specifically intended to protect journalists. After a brief argument that such rules should apply and therefore lead to Belich being removed as a witness, defense attorney Cheney Mason began his arguments.

Mason argued that it's not a guaranteed privilege for journalists in all cases and said this is an exception. In addition, Mason argued that two inmates, Robyn Adams and Maya Derkovic, are involved in a conspiracy against Casey; Belich had interviewed Derkovic inside jail.
Judge Perry then quoted Florida Statute 90.5015 (statute details) that provides a journalist privilege regarding be called in a case, and that to overcome that privilege they have to make a reasonable argument with specific guidelines.
"Journalists, by their nature, talk to witnesses each and every day not knowing the magnitude or how important or how less important a particular person is," Judge Perry explained. "This was designed to protect journalists and help protect the First Amendment right of freedom of speech ... to protect news-gathering sources."
With that statement, Judge Perry granted WFTV's motion to strike Belich from the defense's witness list.
Several other motions are also expected to be heard Friday.

DAY 2 SEES GEORGE, LEE TESTIFY
Another crucial hearing took place Thursday in the case against Casey Anthony, and for the second day in a row George Anthony took the stand. Casey's attorneys are fighting to keep some evidence out of the trial. Judge Belvin Perry has a steep task in front of him with several motions yet to be heard.

Day one saw only one motion get resolved with a second motion taking most of the day to discuss. On day two, there was more testimony about the night that Orange County deputies were called to help look for Casey's daughter, Caylee Anthony. But, like day one, the day ended with no rulings from the judge.
The defense continued to paint a picture Thursday morning of investigators who knew they were going to arrest Casey; however, prosecutors dispute that.

By mid-morning, defense lawyers moved to a new motion (read it) to suppress statements from George, Cindy and Casey's brother, Lee Anthony, calling George to the stand for the second time in two days.
But the first witness to take the stand was Sgt. Reginald Hosey. Casey's attorney, Jose Baez, opened the questioning by grilling Hosey about details regarding Casey being handcuffed the night her mother called 911 in July 2008.
After about 25 minutes of questioning, Baez let prosecutor Linda Drane-Burdick take over questioning the sergeant. Drane-Burdick tried to paint it as something other than an actual arrest.

"Did you tell her she was a suspect in anything?" Drane-Burdick asked.
"No, I didn't," said Hosey.
"Did you tell her she wasn't free to leave the area?" she asked.
"No, I did not," he replied.
"Did you ask her for her cooperation in resolving this issue?" Drane-Burdick asked.
"Yes, I did," Hosey replied.
"Did she indicate that she was willing to help? Did she try to convince you that this was no big deal, it was her mother causing problems?" she asked.
"Yes, she did," he said.
Next up was Sgt. John Allen, a detective with the Orange County Sheriff's Office. Baez got to question him first, but it was brief. Casey's parents have testified that they were warned that Casey may be going to jail that night, but Allen told Baez there was no such conversation.
"No, sir," he replied.
"I have no further questions for this witness," Baez said.

George was then called to testify and said he pleaded with investigators to have time alone with his daughter.
"If I could just have an hour with my daughter, just her and I," George testified.
Casey's defense team continued to try to cast doubt on whether she was arrested the first night she was questioned about Caylee. Deputies have testified that Casey was handcuffed and placed into a deputy's cruiser.
Defense attorneys are also trying to convince Judge Perry that investigators tried to get George to help them question Casey, saying they feared for her safety in jail. George also said investigators told him they had explicit photos of Casey that upset him so badly he became physically ill.
After a recess for lunch Thursday, George was back on the stand and was grilled by prosecutor Linda Drane-Burdick. George became frustrated numerous times and Judge Perry reminded him to simply answer the questions. After nearly 45 minutes of being questioned by the prosecution, Jose Baez got a chance to question George again.
Baez line of questioning quickly brought George Anthony to tears.
"And you love your daughter more than anything in the world?" Baez asked George at which point he began to weep and asked for a moment to regain his composure.
"Yes," George replied.
George soon thereafter was able to step down from the stand and the court took a 20 minutes recess.
Thursday afternoon, Casey's brother Lee took the stand.
Lee and Casey appeared to be happy to see each other, waving at his sister as he walked up to the stand to testify. But when Lee told the court he lied to his sister when she was in jail she threw a hand in the air and appeared to be upset and looked down at the table.
On the stand, Lee discussed the regular contact he had with law enforcement investigators in the days after Caylee was reported missing. Lee said he'd often text or call investigators; they'd do the same.
Then, lead attorney Jose Baez played a jail house video between brother and sister. In that video visitation, Lee told Casey to circumvent Baez, law enforcement and the public by sending letters directly to him. He told her he would keep their correspondence private, but lied; he later shared that information with others.
"And you say that to her, from brother to sister, were you lying?" Baez asked.
"Maybe," he said.
Casey then put her hand in the air and appeared to sigh.
Baez discussed notes Lee would take to the visits and said he had an agenda for law enforcement.
State prosecutors objected.
Also in that video, Casey discussed how she picked Baez to represent her. Apparently, other inmates liked him and recommended him to Casey.
"His name came up and I said, 'If he's good, can you go ahead and pass his name along?'" Casey told Lee in the recorded jailhouse conversation.
Lee also said he wanted to become a private investigator to try to find Caylee and get to the bottom of things on his own.

EMOTIONAL DAY 1 IN COURT FOR 2-DAY HEARING
An emotional hearing on several motions in the case against Casey Anthony wrapped up Wednesday evening with attorneys prepared to head back to court Thursday.
Casey walked into the courtroom at 9:05am, wearing a red sweater and dark slacks. She was accompanied by her lawyers. Casey's parents were both on hand to testify in the hearing.

The first discussion was a motion to quash on the subpoenas for jail employees.
The Orange County Corrections attorney started by bringing up the jailhouse video showing Casey's reaction to Caylee's remains being found. However, it's a moot point since the state isn't going to use it; as a result, the jail wants the subpoenas of Orange County jail employees to be dropped.

Casey's attorney, Jose Baez, also shared his opinion on the jail attorney's comments. As a resolution, Baez is expected to meet with the prosecution about needed interviews.

Attorneys also discussed the sequestering of George and Cindy Anthony during hearings and, ultimately, the trial. Perry said it will be case-by-case, but offered to let them testify first so they would be able to listen to the rest of the hearing.
Cindy was called to testify shortly thereafter and Casey began crying as soon as her mother was sworn in.
The prosecution is trying to establish a case for law enforcement discussions with Casey and her statements made the night, and following day, when her mother called 911 in July 2008. The defense believes they should be suppressed.
Cindy was visibly upset on the stand as she struggled with questions from prosecutors about whether she wanted her daughter arrested when she learned of Caylee's disappearance.

"Seeing your daughter is very traumatic, being handcuffed and taken to the car," Cindy said on the stand about the night Casey was arrested.

The prosecution was not playing softball with Cindy and pushed her hard to help them support their argument that Casey's comments to law enforcement are admissible and should not be suppressed, which is what the defense is fighting for.
"I tried to get Casey to take me to Caylee," Cindy said.

"Then you wanted deputies to find Caylee?" prosecutor Linda Drane-Burdick asked.

"Yes," she said. "It was a very difficult night, evening for me that day. I'm not stupid. This is very unsettling for me."
Cindy stepped down from testifying and Casey seemed to do everything she could not to look at her mother as she got down from the stand. As Cindy walked past Casey, Cindy looked over and Casey just stared down at her papers.
At about 10:55am, George Anthony took the stand to testify. As George took the stand, he appeared to blow a kiss toward his daughter as she seemed to try to hold back tears.
Questions went right to the night deputies were first called to the Anthony house.
"I asked what was wrong. She said Caylee was missing. 'Someone has Caylee,'" George said. "The topic was about Caylee and trying to find where she was at."
Baez pressed George about how Casey was taken into custody and whether she was read her Miranda rights. The questioning was directed at whether Casey voluntarily went with a detective looking for Caylee and whether the intention of detectives was to look for Caylee or to charge Casey with a crime.
"I know there were some unpleasantries. Answers about where my granddaughter was at," he said.
Baez also asked George to describe when Casey was handcuffed by officers.
"I walked outside with the deputy who had escorted my daughter," he said.
"How long was Casey in the back of the police car?" Baez asked.
"Maybe about 30 minutes to an hour," George replied.
George told Baez that Casey was taken out of the handcuffs and escorted back into the home. Later that evening, George said Casey and a detective spoke alone in her room. He said he did not know what they talked about.
Judge Belvin Perry set the tone of authority in his courtroom and kept both sides on track during George's testimony.
Prosecutor Linda Drane-Burdick was questioning George Anthony. The two started going back and forth over whether deputies responded quickly enough when Caylee was first reported missing.
Judge Perry stepped in right away.
"That's a sore subject between you and I and we can badger all day long," George said to Drane-Burdick.
"Excuse me, I am going to object," Drane-Burdick replied.
"Just a second folks, listen ... question, answer .... be quiet! Question and answer. Don't talk over each other," Perry stated.
George stepped down from the stand at approximately 10:47am.
After Orange County Deputy Ryan Eberlin briefly took the stand, Judge Perry called for a recess until 1:30pm.
When the hearing resumed, Deputy Eberlin was back on the stand. Casey's attorney, Cheney Mason, questioned Eberlin about what happened when he responded to a 911 call made by Cindy.
The defense said that Casey was wrongly handcuffed by a rookie deputy and is trying to convince Judge Perry to throw out evidence.
Deputy Eberlin admitted that he wrongly handcuffed Casey, and shortly after removed the handcuffs. Eberlin said that after the mistake was corrected, Casey was free to do what she pleased; she was not considered a suspect.
After Deputy Eberlin stepped down from the stand, Deputy Adriana Acevedo was called.
Deputy Acevedo was also asked to describe when she responded to the Anthonys' home on Suburban Drive. She also talked about when Casey accompanied Acevedo in her sheriff's office cruiser to the Sawgrass Apartments, where Casey said she left Caylee with her alleged nanny, Zenaida Gonzalez.
At 2:38pm, Judge Perry called for a 15-minute mid-afternoon break.
When they resumed, Detective Yuri Melich took the stand. Melich was asked by Baez about Caylee's disappearance and about the night officers responded to the home.
"I was unaware that she was placed in handcuffs," Melich told Baez when asked about Casey being taken into custody. "I was unaware of what transpired before I got there."
Baez proceeded to ask Melich about Casey's claim that she worked for Universal Studios. Melich escorted her to the park after she stated in a verbal and written statement that she was an employee there.
Melich stated that he believed she was lying about her employment. When they were at the theme park, employees could not find Casey in their database.
"I can't fathom that the mother of a missing child could lie about this," Melich said.
The hearing wrapped up a few minutes before 5:00pm. There were no decisions made on Wednesday regarding Casey's statements to law enforcement, and Judge Perry called for a recess until 9:00am Thursday with several outstanding motions yet to be discussed.
Casey goes on trial May 9.

Posted by Seamus O Riley at 7:19 AM
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony Update - Was Time In Court An Attempt To Get Pity From The Public?   Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:21 pm

Casey Anthony Update - Was Time In Court An Attempt To Get Pity From The Public?

Posted on March 4th, 2011
by Jan Barrett in All News, Op-ed, crime
Read 512 times.

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday the Casey Anthony defense team along with their client were in court arguing about whether certain statements made by Casey Anthony in 2008 would be admissible during the trial which is scheduled to begin on May 9, 2011, in my opinion this is long overdue.
Casey Anthony is in jail being held on first degree murder of her then two year old daughter, Caylee Anthony. She claims Caylee’s Nanny took the baby but no one has been able to locate any nanny. Casey never even bothered to report her child gone. Cindy Anthony, Casey’s mother, reported her in a 911 call 31 days later. Caylee’s body was found dumped in the woods within walking distance of the Anthony’s home in Orlando. She was put inside a laundry bag which was put inside a trash bag and thrown out like garbage.
I didn’t catch all of the hearings but the parts that I did catch made me sick. George Anthony shows so much disrespect for the courts when he acts like he runs the show. He sits up on that witness stand and I think he actually thinks he can choose what the attorney’s can ask him and what his answers will be. Today he sat in the courtroom chewing on his gum like he was a King watching his little princess from behind.
OK I understand that George and his wife, Cindy Anthony lost a grandchild and could very well be losing their only daughter too. Does that give them the right to show such disrespect for the law or the courts or even the judge for that matter? I lost all respect for the Anthony’s when they stopped worrying about little Caylee and turned their total focus on Casey and trying to save her.
If they honestly don’t think she did anything to that baby, why the heck aren’t they out there trying to find out who did, then? Why? It is because they already know who did it and I assume since they are willing to commit perjury by lying under oath to try to save their daughter’s butt, they must care more about Casey than they do Caylee.
I know that they love their daughter, and I wouldn’t expect anything less from a parent in a situation like this, but to lie and make excuses for their daughter is wrong. Cindy Anthony has deliberately obstructed justice to cover up for her daughter. I can’t understand how she has gotten away with it. She has admitted to washing the jeans she found in Casey Anthony’s car because they had a bad smell on them. She has admitted that she knew she gave the detectives the wrong hairbrush when they requested Caylee’s. Anyone else that would have done such things would have been arrested already.
While I do not believe for one minute that George or Cindy Anthony had anything to do with Caylee’s death I do believe that they along with their son, Lee have been working overtime trying to help her cover up what happened to Caylee. Maybe it was an accident, but even if it was, they should have said so from the beginning and not lied. It is too late now to claim it was an accident. You don’t have to cover up an accident.
The defense is trying to prove that the detectives convinced the Anthony’s to try to get Casey Anthony to talk about what happened without her attorney present. For Pete’s sake, the detectives were just trying to figure out what happened to that baby. They were doing their job. At that time who cares if her attorney was present or not.
I am sure there will be a lot of people glued to their TV or computer once this trial starts, I know I will be. I want to see this woman go to prison for life with NO chance of parole. I want her to suffer like her little girl suffered. I also want the Anthony’s to pay for their roles in this case as well. They are not royalty that deserves special treatment. When a normal person gets on the witness stand they are expected to do none other than to answer the questions all the attorney’s ask of them. They would not be allowed special treatment when they claim how hard this is for them. It just doesn’t work like that in a court of law, yet they seem to think they can do it and get away with it. Using their so called grief for their granddaughter shouldn’t allow them to show disrespect for our laws or our courts.
I will be so happy once this is all over and then we can stop hearing about poor Casey. Instead it should be poor Caylee, and what that child went through at the hands of her own mother. For once I’d like to hear one of the Anthony’s actually tell the truth and say that Caylee is the important one here. She needs justice and the only way that can happen if the person responsible for taking her life is punished to the fullest extent of the law. God bless little Caylee Marie Anthony. She is who this is all about, not her mother, Casey Anthony. The Anthony’s really needs to remember that.
Jan Barrett
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CASEY ANTHONY ~ MARCH ~ 2011   

Back to top Go down

CASEY ANTHONY ~ MARCH ~ 2011
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next