LOVE AND PROTECT ALL CHILDREN

A discussion of children, their welfare, well being and lives. We must protect them, they are our future.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

CASEY ANTHONY ~ MARCH ~ 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Prosecutors Scale Back Evidence   Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:48 pm

Casey Prosecutors Scale Back Evidence

Secretly Recorded Video And Jailhouse Snitch Testimony Nixed

POSTED: Monday, February 28, 2011
UPDATED: 7:15 pm EST February 28, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Prosecutors say they will not introduce into evidence secretly recorded video of Casey Anthony's jailhouse reaction to news that skeletal remains had been found near her parents' home.
VIDEO: Potential Evidence Out

Defense attorneys argued the plot by sheriff's investigators to record a mother's reaction to news her child may have been found dead was improper and should never be seen by anyone.
Indeed, the video was placed under seal by the court as soon as the state revealed its existence.
With arguments just days away on whether the tape should be excluded from trial, prosecutors decided to not even try introducing it in its case in chief.
Local 6 legal analyst Mark O'Mara said the state could try to use it in the rebuttal phase of its case -- which comes after the defense rests. But he doubts it.
"I think it was too staged and it could have blown up in their face," O'Mara said, adding its use may have given the defense a valid appeal route. "As it turns out, I think it's a good decision not to use it."
The state also announced it would not call jailhouse snitch Maya Derkovic as a witness in its case in chief. Derkovic, a convicted killer, has claimed Casey told her she used chloroform to knock her daughter out so she could party -- a claim it appears not even prosecutors believe.
Finally, prosecutors agreed with the defense that Casey's statements made after her October 2008 arrest should not be admitted in their main case. She had invoked her right to remain silent months earlier after a previous arrest.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Baez Fires Back Against State's Claim   Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:08 pm

Baez Fires Back Against State's Claim

State: Baez Should Be Held In Contempt

Amanda Ober, Staff Writer

POSTED: 11:52 am EST March 1, 2011
UPDATED: 12:24 pm EST March 1, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Casey Anthony's attorney, Jose Baez, is firing back at prosecutors' motion suggesting that he be held in contempt of court.
In his own motion to strike the request, Baez accuses prosecutor Jeff Ashton of asking the court to require the defense "filings that are not required by any rule, case law or statute in order to assist him in the preparation of his case."
READ: Motion to Strike
Ashton claimed that Baez missed a court ordered-deadline to inform the state of objections he plans to raise in hearings this week.
In his motion, Baez said Ashton "does not want to do the work required."
Judge Belvin Perry is due to consider the state's motion on Wednesday.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Doing My Casey Anthony Homework: Part 2   Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:29 pm

Doing My Casey Anthony Homework: Part 2

It seems that getting ready to watch the hearings that begin at 9 AM on Wednesday and Thursday is getting all bollixed up with new assignments! There was a flurry of news and new filings after I finished yesterday. Before I get to the actual hearing, I'll tell you a little about what happened yesterday.

Linda Drane Burdick filed a Witness List & Evidence Schedule. There are quite a few witnesses on it and it also tells us the following information about the State's Case-in-Chief.:

1. They will not use any statements Casey Anthony made to law enforcement after her arrest following her indictment on murder charges and other charges on October 14, 2008. If you recall, she was taped in the patrol car when she was arrested after a bit of a "chase" and switch of vehicles. She also chit-chatted about how she new in her "gut" that Caylee was alive to the law enforcement officer who sat with her.

2. They will not use statements made to Maya Derkovic.

3. They will not use the jail video taken the day the remains were found. Bill Sheaffer had a conversation about this with Kathi Belich about this issue.

There was a Motion to Quash Subpoenas and/or Motions for Protective Order filed. According to the Orlando Sentinel,

...Orange County Attorney's Office has filed a motion to quash subpoenas served by Casey Anthony attorney Jose Baez on six officials with the Orange County Corrections Department.

...three employees have already been deposed in the case and requiring them to wait to testify would be "unduly burdensome."

...The other three employees have not been called as witnesses already and lack any connection to the case,

Apparently, the subpoenas have no specific time and date which would force the jail employees to attend the hearing until they are called as witnesses. This would place an undue burden on the jail.

The defense filed a Defense Witness List and Evidence Schedule.

WFTV filed a motion to Strike Kathleen Belich From Defendant's Supplemental Witness List. For more details, read the Orlando Sentinel article.

Finally, the defense filed a motion to Strike the State of Florida's Motion for Rule to Show Cause.
WESH article.

I don't have access to the latest motions. As they become available, I will link them here. Check back during the day for these documents.

Now, back to my homework!

We now know that the Motion and Memo of Law to Suppress Jail Video Footage will not be heard.

In the Defense Amended Motion to Suppress Statements, Cheney Mason wants all statements attributed to Casey Anthony to law enforcement officers on July 15 through 16, 2008 and October 14, 2008 suppressed. (The State has already addressed the October 14 statements.) The issue here is that this case started out on July 15, 2008 when Cindy Anthony called 911 to report Caylee Anthony missing and that her car smell as though there had been a "damn dead body" in it. The defense claims that:

1. In the evening hours of July 15, 2008, the Defendant was confronted by members of the Orange County Sheriff's Department at her residence/parent's residence on Hope Spring Drive in Orlando. 2. Upon said confrontation, the Defendant was taken into custody and handcuffed by members of the Sheriff's Department, despite having no probable cause of any crime having been committed, having no warrant, and having no exigent circumstances that would justify a warrantless arrest of the Defendant.

The defense argument continues throughout the 15th to the 16th and Casey's trip to Universal Studios where they believe she was in police custody and not free to leave.

There has been a massive online search to find out if Casey Anthony was handcuffed the night of the 15th, and under what conditions. So far, all they have been able to find is that in a text message the morning of the 16th, she texted Tony Lazzaro that she had been handcuffed for ten minutes in the police car.

The State has called Yuri Melich, John Allen and a whole slew of police officers to testify at the hearing. The State will have to show that Casey wasn't under arrest or detained and not free to leave as of the afternoon of July 16.

The Motion to Suppress Statements Made to George, Cindy, Lee Anthony, Maya Derkovic, Robyn Adams, And Sylvia Hernandez is one in which the defense is trying to prove that statements made by Casey Anthony to all of the above (excluding Maya Derkovic) should be suppressed because all of the above were acting as AGENTS OF THE STATE.

The defense points to a July 24 conversation between Yuri Melich, John Allen, and George Anthony in which they reminded him that he could talk to his daughter without the presence of her attorney. George visited Casey the next day and tried to convince her to talk to LE.

Similarly, the defense is charging that Sylvia Hernandez and Robyn Adams were also acting as agents of the state.

All of the above mentioned people will be State witnesses at the hearing.

My major question is if George Anthony was trying to find Caylee alive (remember, back then the family firmly stated she was alive and that they were "watching" her kidnappers).

I downloaded and listened to Sylvia Hernandez interview and she pretty much had no sympathy for Casey. She was more focused on Robyn Adams, who was extremely distressed about her children and crying all the time. She also said she spoke very little with Casey.

Well, we shall see on this one.

I'm very pleased with myself in that I've already done my homework on Linda Drane Burdick's State Of Florida's Motions In Limine. It's a delightful (to me anyway) compendium of all those things the defense team has tried to do during the development of the case.

For a quick refresher, read Casey Anthony's Attorneys File A Blizzard Of Motions: Hearing Monday, January 3: Part 2. It's the first item in the article, so no need to scroll down.

As of the current moment, that is the end of my homework assignment. Between this and Part 1, I've covered all of the motions available to the public.

I will update this post as new motions filed yesterday become available. I will link them in the body of this article. I'll update the article above that if there's anything else new today, so keep checking back!

My special thanks to Muzikman and FRG.
See you in court tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony Due Back In Court   Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:32 pm

Casey Anthony Due Back In Court

Anthony's Murder Trial Set To Begin In May

POSTED: Tuesday, March 1, 2011
UPDATED: 12:44 pm EST March 1, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Casey Anthony and her defense team will be back in court Wednesday to hear several motions.

Both sides will argue recent motions during the 9 a.m. hearing at the Orange County Courthouse.
The state announced Monday it will not use secret video of Anthony's reaction to the news that a body had been found near her family's east Orange County home.
Anthony's defense team argued the recording was a set-up.
Anthony, 24, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her daughter, Caylee Anthony.
Caylee was 2 years old when she was reported missing in July 2008, one month after being last seen by her grandparents. Caylee's remains were discovered by a meter reader in December 2008.
Anthony's trial is expected to begin May 9.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Foxy or Fox Paw ( faux pas )   Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:46 pm

Foxy or Fox Paw(faux pas)

Posted on February 28, 2011 by mainstreamfair

I never agreed with LE video taping Casey when she was informed that the remains of a child were located in the woods just off Suburban Drive. Casey was taken to the medical facility of Orange County jail. This should have remained private as it falls under medical. I think that LE and jail administration overstepped their bounds by setting things up to view Casey’s reaction. Casey should have been told the news by her counsel or in lieu of her counsel, the jail chaplain. The jail chaplain would have to be authorized to do so by Jose Baez.
Judge Strickland was very wise to seal that video and the state is making a smart move not to attempt trying to get it into evidence at the trial. It would be a grave mistake on their part as it could sour the jury in thinking that the prosecution used such underhanded tactics. Here are some excerpts from an article at WESH.

ORLANDO, Fla. — Prosecutors will not use Casey Anthony’s jailhouse reaction to the discovery of her daughter’s remains as evidence at her trial, a new filing shows.
As the news broke of a discovery off of Suburban Drive in December 2008, Anthony was taken to the female medical area of the jail to watch the events unfold on television. The remains were later identified to be those of her daughter, Caylee Anthony.
A jail worker noted that once Anthony looked at the television, she fell into a chair, doubled over and began breathing rapidly. Several minutes later, the lieutenant noted that Anthony muttered, “Oh no.”
“Of all of the evidence that’s been obtained in this case, the video of how Casey Anthony reacted in the jail was the one piece that clearly was a result of law enforcement overstepping their bounds. I think this is a recognition by state attorney’s office that they would probably lose on this issue,” said Orlando criminal defense attorney Richard Hornsby, who is not connected to the case. You can read more
Here
Bill Sheaffer on Casey’s Reaction Video
For your info….re March 2nd Hearing
State of Florida’s Witness List & Evidence Schedule for Motion Hearings Beginning March 2, 2011
Motions for hearing on Wednesday, March 2nd; and Thursday, March 3rd.
1) Motion To Suppress Statements Made To George, Cindy, Lee Anthony, Maya Derkovic, Robyn Adams, And Sylvia Hernandez
2) Motion In Limine To Suppress Video Footage
3) Defendant’s Motion In Limine To Exclude All Evidence Relating To Canine Searches And Alerts
4) Amended Motion To Suppress Statements
5) State Of Florida’s Motion In Limine
6a) State’s Motion To Strike Defendant’s Supplemental Witness List Filed February 14, 2011
6b) Motion To Strike The State’s Motion To Strike Defense Supplemental Witness List
7) Motion For Rule To Show Cause
8] Motion To Strike Defendant’s Motion To Exclude Unreliable Evidence (Plant Or Root Growth)
9) Motion To Strike Defendant’s Motion To Exclude Unreliable Evidence Pursuant To Frye (Chloroform)
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Jose Baez Blames Others In Motion Addressing Allegations   Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:41 pm

Jose Baez Blames Others In Motion Addressing Allegations

Posted: 4:55 pm EST March 1, 2011

Updated: 5:53 pm EST March 1, 2011

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- WFTV has learned how Casey Anthony's lead attorney, Jose Baez, is going to try to defend himself against a civil contempt of court allegation. It seems Baez is blaming other people for his problems.

BILL SHEAFFER: Analysis Of Baez Placing Blame
BAEZ MOTION: Attorney Fires Back Over Allegations
BELICH: Motion To Strike From Witness List
READ: Motions To Be Heard March 2-3

Baez is blaming the prosecutor for playing games, and blaming Chief Judge Belvin Perry for allowing it. Baez even blamed the judge for not responding to his request.
WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer says the blame game is not going to fly with the judge.
Baez faces possible jail time or fines if the judge finds him in contempt of court for missing yet another court-ordered deadline. Judge Perry ordered Baez to defend himself, but Baez has gone on the attack.
"It's, 'I'm not at fault because, judge, it's your fault and it's the prosecutors' fault together and separately,'" Sheaffer told WFTV (watch raw interview).
Baez was given 13 days at a February 4 hearing to give prosecutors his specific arguments as to why air tests done on Casey Anthony's trunk, showing evidence of human decomposition, are not based on sound, time-tested science. Baez wants the evidence thrown out.
Tuesday, Baez says the specifics prosecutors want, and the judge has ordered, are not legally required and Baez implies the judge is enabling what he calls prosecutors' games to disrupt his work on Casey's defense.
"That's probably the most obnoxious of the allegations, is that somehow Judge Perry has become a puppet of the state," Sheaffer said.
But Baez also claims he was confused by the judge's order and attempted Monday, 11 days late, to provide more specific arguments against scientific evidence he's known about for at least two years.
Baez made what Sheaffer called a veiled threat that this distraction could lead him to ask for a delay of the trial.
Sheaffer says, if Baez believes he can pressure the judge to back down to avoid a possible delay or even an appeal issue, he's mistaken.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: What's Next In the Case?   Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:43 pm

WHAT'S NEXT IN THE CASE?

There's still a very busy week ahead in the case against Casey.
Motion hearings are scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday, and there's a status hearing scheduled for Friday.
Casey's defense team is expected to talk about late witnesses they just added in the past two weeks.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Major hearing in Casey Anthony case Wednesday   Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:56 pm

Major hearing in Casey Anthony case Wednesday

By Anthony Colarossi, Orlando Sentinel

5:49 p.m. EST, March 1, 2011

A two-day hearing begins Wednesday on a series of motions by the defense and the prosecution in the Casey Anthony murder trial, with both sides seeking to control — and tailor — the information considered by the 12 people who will ultimately decide her fate.

What happens in the next two days could largely frame the prosecution and defense strategies for the trial, scheduled to begin in May. If convicted, Casey Anthony faces a possible death sentence in the 2008 murder of her daughter, Caylee Marie.

Also likely to emerge during this week's hearings: ongoing tensions between defense attorney Jose Baez and the prosecution, which again called for Baez to be punished for failing to meet a court-ordered deadline. Here's a sampling of the issues to be argued in court:

The defense wants to keep out statements Casey Anthony gave law enforcement early on in the case, so the witnesses likely to take part in the proceedings include Orange County detectives Yuri Melich and John Allen, and also members of Casey Anthony's family.

Pieces of evidence considered will include Anthony's handwritten statement made July 15, 2008; a handwritten letter she wrote to then-Sheriff Kevin Beary; statements she gave during a trip to Universal Studios with investigators; and transcripts and audio of her statements to Melich and Allen.

The defense also wants to block statements Casey Anthony made to her parents, her brother, someone she befriended at the Orange County Jail and a former corrections officer at the jail.

Witnesses on those issues should include the detectives, George, Cindy and Lee Anthony, the inmate/friend Robyn Adams and the former corrections officer, Sylvia Hernandez.

The defense has argued that efforts by Casey Anthony's family and law enforcement "to elicit information [from Casey Anthony] in the absence of counsel was neither fair nor honest and should not be tolerated by the court." The defense also argues that the Anthony family members early on in the case "were acting as agents of the state" by trying to get Anthony to share information and talk to authorities.

Prosecutors want to exclude certain defense witnesses that showed up recently on a list,including WFTV-Channel 9 reporter Kathi Belich. Assistant State Attorney Linda Drane Burdick argued that the release of the witness list in mid-February was late and the defense needs "to establish good cause for the delay in disclosure of the witnesses." WFTV attorneys also challenged the defense calling Belich as a witness for certain information she has reported, citing reporter "privilege."

They also expressed concern about Belich's ability to cover the case, if she is sequestered as a witness.

The prosecution challenges the defense team's legal arguments and attempts to exclude certain scientific information, specifically evidence dealing with chloroform and plant and root growth in connection with the case.

The defense argues that scientific findings of "high amounts of chloroform" found in the trunk of Casey Anthony's car are "absolutely 100% false and constitute a fraud on the American public and potential jury pool of Miss Anthony."

In a response, prosecutor Jeff Ashton called the defense motion "glaringly insufficient" for citing no "scientific authority which would call into question the general acceptance of standard tests used by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory."

The last motion scheduled for hearing may be the most contentious. Ashton has called for Baez to show in court why he should not be held in contempt for missing a court-ordered deadline. Earlier this year, Ashton argued for court sanctions against Baez for missing another deadline.

This time, Ashton notes, Baez was supposed to submit written details with the court and the prosecution on certain issues to be objected to under the so-called "Frye test," which deals with admitting new scientific evidence in the courtroom and determining whether the evidence has "gained general acceptance."

The deadline passed on Feb. 17, and when Ashton contacted Baez about his compliance with the court order, Ashton said he "expressed some 'confusion.'" In an email later sent to the judge's assistant, Ashton said Baez claimed "not to understand the clear and unambiguous language in the court's order."

In an angry response filed Monday, Baez questions whether Ashton is engaging in "gamesmanship" with this argument and then calls Ashton's actions "clever, the tactic being, make opposing counsel defend himself instead of his client."

acolarossi@tribune.com or 407-420-5447.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony case heads back to court for 2 crucial hearings   Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:04 pm

Casey Anthony case heads back to court for two crucial hearings

By Adam Longo, Reporter
Last Updated: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 12:35 AM

More Info

ORLANDO --
Casey Anthony will be out of jail for two days this week.
She'll be at the Orange County Courthouse for crucial hearings in her murder trial.
Prosecutors have told the judge they feel defense attorney Jose Baez didn't follow one of the courts orders when it comes to deadlines and want him to find Baez in contempt.
They also want the judge to toss out defense motions that discuss plant growth at the crime scene and mentions of chloroform.
All of those motions are scheduled for Thursday’s hearing.
On Wednesday, Anthony will come face-to-face with her former jail pen pal Robyn Adams who is currently serving time in a federal prison outside of Tallahassee.
Adams and Anthony wrote letters back and forth behind bars. Prosecutors plan to introduce those at the hearing.
They will also show visits and phone calls at the jail between Anthony and her family.
Anthony’s lawyers want to get all statements she made to her family and to Adams thrown out.
Prosecutors also plan to call George Anthony to testify.
He hasn't been in court since one of those letters from his daughter to Adams came front and center.
In it, Anthony accused her brother Lee of sexual abuse, and said she thought her father may have abused her as well.
Prosecutors also said they won't be using a jail video that shows Anthony's reaction when she was told her daughter's remains had been found.
They also said they will not be using statements Anthony made to deputies after her final arrest on Oct. 14 and things she said to another jail inmate, Maya Derkovic.
We should hear by the end of the week what the jury will and will not hear on these particular issues.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: A blame game to end all blame games   Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:12 am

a blame game to end all blame games

Posted on March 1, 2011 by Andrea

When your best isn’t good enough, it’s a sad, bad place to be, especially when someone’s very life is on the line.
Today we saw the response to the State’s Motion to Show Cause (the contempt motion) from Jose Baez. I have always worried that Casey Anthony’s right to a fair trial could be seriously endangered. Now I am sure that it is.
Today’s response by Jose Baez to the contempt charges are embarrassing on so many levels. It’s difficult to know just what his motivation is; and it’s even more difficult to understand why in the world Co-Counsel, Cheney Mason, is not assisting and steering Mr. Baez in the right direction as to the Florida Rules of Criminal Procedure. Also, why is Mr. Mason not advising Mr. Baez about the proper decorum with respect to the Court, and especially with regards to the Chief Judge?
It is difficult to fathom why Mr. Baez is so incredibly foolish and fancy-free with court orders and the law. I have said this before, and I will say it again, I believe it all comes down to a severe case of stubborn hubris.
Hubris is defined as having an exaggerated pride and arrogance – so much so that the ability to see the truth and reality are completely inhibited by a defiant will to prove to themselves, and to others, that they are better than you or I.
In Shakespeare, hubris is known as a characters “tragic flaw”. Characters like Hamlet, Macbeth, and Othello all had this tragic flaw – this exaggerated and false bravado that ultimately destroys their life, as well as the lives of those they love. Hamlet’s hubris was chiefly the cause of Ophelia’s death….
Oh! Sorry, we’re talking about Jose Baez, not Shakespeare!
So, with Mr. Baez, it was his hubris that allowed him to think he was ready to accept this case in the first place. Had he been capable of being honest with himself, he would have admitted that this case is far more than he could possibly handle, given his limited courtroom experience.
What Mr. Baez does to hide his inferiority is to look for excuses to skirt proper courtroom procedures. Because he is not ready to try cases of this magnitude, he resorts to insults and name calling, as you’ll see in his motion. He has no respect for the law, or for the court. Wearing expensive suits does not a good lawyer make. A lawyer needs respect and adoration for the law, not respect for self above all laws. A lawyer needs to listen and respect the Court, not try to fashion Court rulings to suit his case.
What is truly unfortunate is that Mr. Baez seems incapable of admitting a mistake. He is also incapable of accepting the law unless he believes it is fair to his cause. Why else would he defy the totally non complex rules of discovery?
Here are the excuses raised by Jose Baez in his “Motion to Strike the State’s Motion for Rule to Show Cause

1. Mr. Baez says that Mr. Ashton should not have his help in arguing the Frye issues. Yes, instead of following the rules (of discovery), Mr. Baez believes that by obliging with this court order, he would be doing Mr. Ashton’s work for him. Mr Baez asserts that, “There is no case law, statute, or rule of criminal procedure that requires a party to give what amounts to outlines or arguments or cross examination for a Frye hearing.” In truth, all that is required is what the Defense plans to object to. Period. End of story. But, you see, if Mr. Baez were to submit this, he’d loose his ability to surprise and hopefully throw his opponent off their game. I don’t know how Judge Perry will deal with this one – this is a serious problem with Mr. Baez, and it goes right to the heart of how he wants to try his case.
  2. Mr. Baez did not understand the Judge’s ruling in which he specifically asked the defense to provide, in writing, what the Defense will argue “including, but not limited to” that which was already submitted (by the Defense). Mr. Baez took this to mean that if he had “additional challenges” he should submit them by the February 17th deadline. Since Mr. Baez had no further challenges, “the Defense stood silent.”
  3. Mr. Baez sent Judge Perry an email on February 18th, stating he was confused and would like clarification from the Judge. So, Mr. Baez blames the Judge for not responding with clarification. Yes, he wants to put blame on the Court for not responding to him.
  4. Mr. Ashton is not a man of his word, so says Mr. Baez. Mr. Baez was waiting on a motion from Mr. Ashton – but that is not how this game is played, and it has been explained to Mr. Baez already: the State has the evidence and the expert witness, it is incumbent on Mr. Baez to provide to the State what it will object to and challenge!
  5. Mr. Baez accuses Mr. Ashton of using “gamesmanship” that is “clever, the tactic being make opposing counsel defend himself instead of his client.”
  6. Mr. Baez has the audacity to suggest that he “should” ask for a continuance, but he won’t because he’s not sure “he has good cause at this time.”

Like I said earlier, I find this very sad, and maddening and completely opposite of what we should expect from Defense lawyers. Do you think it’s possible that Mr. Baez is purposely doing things his own way – avoiding correct procedure – regardless of the law? Or, do you think that Mr. Baez is so wet behind the ears he is unaware of what is required of him?
I tend to think this behavior is purposeful. But, why is Mr. Cheney not advising him? Can it be that Mr. Baez has no respect for Mr. Cheney and won’t listen? Is Mr. Cheney under Mr. Baez’s thumb here?
All in all, the conclusion that I am left with is Mr. Baez has within him a hubris the size of Houston, peppered with a devil-may-care attitude for the law and the court.
I think that Judge Perry is between a rock and a hard place and it is anyone’s guess what he will do.
Here’s the Baez motion - it’s a classic.
Reminder! The hearing begins at 9:00 EST on Wednesday March 2, and Thursday, March 3rd.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Jose Baez Blames Others In Motion Addressing Allegations   Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:18 am

Jose Baez Blames Others In Motion Addressing Allegations

Posted: 4:55 pm EST March 1, 2011

Updated: 6:59 pm EST March 1, 2011

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- WFTV has learned how Casey Anthony's lead attorney, Jose Baez, is going to try to defend himself against a civil contempt of court allegation. It seems Baez is blaming other people for his problems.

BILL SHEAFFER: Analysis Of Baez Placing Blame
BAEZ MOTION: Attorney Fires Back Over Allegations
VIDEO REPORT: Baez To Defend Self In Court

Baez is blaming the prosecutor for playing games, and blaming Chief Judge Belvin Perry for allowing it. Baez even blamed the judge for not responding to his request.
WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer says the blame game is not going to fly with the judge.
Baez faces possible jail time or fines if the judge finds him in contempt of court for missing yet another court-ordered deadline. Judge Perry ordered Baez to defend himself, but Baez has gone on the attack.
"It's, 'I'm not at fault because, judge, it's your fault and it's the prosecutors' fault together and separately,'" Sheaffer told WFTV (watch raw interview).
Baez was given 13 days at a February 4 hearing to give prosecutors his specific arguments as to why air tests done on Casey Anthony's trunk, showing evidence of human decomposition, are not based on sound, time-tested science. Baez wants the evidence thrown out.
Tuesday, Baez says the specifics prosecutors want, and the judge has ordered, are not legally required and Baez implies the judge is enabling what he calls prosecutors' games to disrupt his work on Casey's defense.
"That's probably the most obnoxious of the allegations, is that somehow Judge Perry has become a puppet of the state," Sheaffer said.
But Baez also claims he was confused by the judge's order and attempted Monday, 11 days late, to provide more specific arguments against scientific evidence he's known about for at least two years.
Baez made what Sheaffer called a veiled threat that this distraction could lead him to ask for a delay of the trial.
Sheaffer says, if Baez believes he can pressure the judge to back down to avoid a possible delay or even an appeal issue, he's mistaken.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Caylee Anthony case: Hearing today 03/02/2011   Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:09 am

Caylee Anthony case: Hearing today 03/02/2011

Posted on March 2, 2011 by Valhall

Hearings begin today in the Casey Anthony murder trial. The hearings will extend at least through tomorrow, if not through the rest of this week. Here’s the run down of what we can expect to hear arguments on over the next couple of days, courtesy of the defense’s witness list and evidence schedule filed on February 26th, 2011.

• Defendant’s Motion to Suppress Statements to Law Enforcement Officers & the Amended Motion to Suppress Statements made by: Ryan Eberlin, Reginald Hosey, Adriana Acevedo, Rendon Fletcher, Yuri Melich, Cindy Anthony, George Anthony, Lee Anthony, John Allen, Appling Wells, Yuri Melich (again, because he said a lot…lol), Brian Cross, Sylvia Hernandez and Matt Irwin. This is the motion where the defense claims all these people were working as “agents of the state”…as if (pretending that was true) that made their statements less credible.
  • Also, they want Casey’s handwritten statement on July 15th at the Anthony home with investigators arrived to find out where her missing 2-year-old daughter was (you know, the one where she said somewhere between 9 am and 1 pm I dropped my daughter off with her nanny, Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez…yeah, that one), along with the audios and transcripts of both recorded interviews on the 15th and 16th that OCSO conducted with Casey suppressed. They have a silly argument about her Miranda Rights and such.
  • They want to suppress all of Casey’s statements made to the following people: Yuri Melich, Robyn Adams, Sylvia Hernandez, George Anthony, Cindy Anthony, Lee Anthony, Brian Cross, Deanne Adams, Cindy Corrado, Dennis Moonsammy, Gabriel Adam, John Allen, and Marleen Baker. As exhibits in the argument to suppress they will be producing: all video visitations of Casey Anthony with her family members at the OCSO jail, the recorded statement of George when OCSO was driving him to the jail to set up a meeting with Casey, Casey’s letter to Sheriff Berry which initiated her requesting the visit with George, handwritten notes taken by Lee, and the court documents about how they didn’t want Casey’s temper tantrum caught on the August 14th, 2008 jail visit video released.
  • Then there will be the State’s Motion in Limine to exclude the defense counsel, Casey, or any defense witness from offering testimony of the following nature: that they don’t think Casey is guilty, about irrelevant character traits of Casey (like they think she’s MOTFY, or she sneezes for Jesus and blesses bracelets, that kind of stuff…Action Jackson can’t take the stand and talk about her immeasurable beauty and that she’s the sacrificial Christ-figure of the 21st century either…darn), calling another witness a “liar”, making statements that any government agency has “leaked” information on the case, making statements that OCSO set up Casey when with the videoing on December 11 in the infirmary, or making any statements that any government agency committed improper acts. Defense witness for this argument….Cheney Mason.
  • State’s Motion to Strike defense witness list. Best I can tell they mean this one. Many moons ago the State of Florida filed that motion to strike Baez’s witness list because it simply said “…the entire State’s Witness List by reference”.
  • State’s Motion to Strike Defendant’s Motion to Exclude Unreliable Evidence (Chloroform). The defense filed this Motion to Exclude pursuant to a Frye hearing on Oak Ridge Laboratory’s testing of the trunk liner for chloroform. I actually covered this motion in this article, where I pointed out that defense’s motion either intentionally, or because no hablo ingles…and they just flat didn’t understand what they were reading, they made statements that were absolutely wrong (false?, mistruths?, half-truths?) about what the Oak Ridge report stated. Then they go on to say it’s not established science. The State’s motion to strike says – bullcrap, is too.
  • State’s Motion to Strike Defendant’s Motion to Exclude Unreliable Evidence (Plant and Root Growth). The defense filed this Motion to Exclude pursuant to a Frye hearing on Dr. Hall’s report. The defense claims Dr. Hall falls outside of accepted scientific procedures because he determined plant growth rates, etc. from looking at photographs and plants that he could not identify. The State argues that Dr. Hall clearly presents his opinion as….opinion, based on his 60 years of studying plants and root systems. Frye does not apply to opinions. Opinions are to be presented in court and challenged on cross-examination. Hence the whole idea of a trial.
  • State’s Motion for Rule to Show Cause. This is the motion where the state requests the court find Jose Baez in contempt of court because, once again, he missed a deadline. This time on filing the court-ordered response concerning the specific issues he wishes to have Frye hearings on. Jose Baez has filed a Motion to Strike the state’s motion. It’s interesting reading. This time, instead of a traffic jam, he states he didn’t do anything by the deadline because of a period. Here’s the period…from the transcript of the February 4th hearing:

Let me say this and I’ll end it here.

That period. Apparently Jose’s ears just stopped working in the court room on February 4th after that period. He thought it was time to go out to recess or something. Then he validates what our fears were, as previously discussed here at The Hinky Meter, that even after he got the order memorializing the February 4th hearing, in which he wandered off to pet the animals after the all-powerful period, he got further confused by what “…including, but not limited to” means. In essence his argument is that it couldn’t possibly mean what it says, so he picked a different meaning that was “more likely”. Curiously, the one he picked is the one where he decided he didn’t need to do anything. The state took issue with that.
The hearing begins today at 9:a.m. ET.
The Hinky Meter Ventrilo server will be made available. Please see this thread for instructions if you need to install and set up the client Ventrilo on your computer. I will not be available for this hearing as I will be at work. Please remember the rules during a hearing. When you enter the Ventrilo click “chat” which takes you into text chat. Keep all mics clear during the hearing so people can listen to what is occurring. You are free to voice chat before and after the hearing.
As always, there is the request by our fine members to make real-time updates to this thread for those who cannot watch or listen to the trial, or be involved in the Ventrilo session.
Valhall.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Will Cindy, George Be Allowed At Casey's Trial?   Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:53 am

Will Cindy, George Be Allowed At Casey's Trial?

Hearing Held In Case Against Casey Anthony

POSTED: 9:49 am EST March 2, 2011
UPDATED: 10:25 am EST March 2, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- It's unclear if Casey Anthony's parents will be allowed to sit in on their daughter's murder trial.

Casey Breaks Down As Cindy Takes Stand

George and Cindy Anthony were called as witnesses to testify at hearings in the case on Wednesday and Thursday.
Their attorney, Mark Lippman, argued that they should be able to attend the hearing due to their relationship to Anthony.
Judge Belvin Perry said that their own testimony could be colored by hearing other witnesses testify at the hearing. He denied Lippman's request, but said that George and Cindy Anthony could testify first, and then sit in for the rest of the hearing.
Perry said he would address the issue for the trial at a later date. He also said he would address the issue on a hearing-by-hearing basis leading up to the trial.
Anthony's murder trial is scheduled to begin in May.
Copyright 2011 by WESH.COM.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Cries When Mom Takes Stand During Hearing   Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:57 am

Casey Cries When Mom Takes Stand During Hearing

Posted: 10:18 am EST March 2, 2011

Updated: 10:50 am EST March 2, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Casey Anthony is in court Wednesday for a hearing on several motions in the case. Casey walked into the courtroom at 9:05am, wearing a red sweater and dark slacks. She was accompanied by her lawyers; her mother, Cindy Anthony, was also present.

WATCH LIVE: Casey @ Hearing | Follow Live Blog
CASEY CRIES IN COURT: See Images
INSIDE THE COURTROOM: See Images
MOTIONS: Cindy's Testimony | To Quash
911 CALLS: Dead Body | Turn In Casey | Caylee Gone

The first discussion was a motion to quash on the subpoenas for jail employees.
The Orange County Corrections attorney started by bringing up the jailhouse video showing Casey's reaction to Caylee's remains being found. However, it's a moot point since the state isn't going to use it; related to that, the jail wants the subpoenas of Orange County jail employees to be dropped.
Casey's attorney, Jose Baez, also shared his opinion on the jail attorney's comments. As a resolution, Baez is expected to meet with the prosecution about needed interviews.
Attorneys also discussed the sequestering of George and Cindy Anthony during hearings and, ultimately, the trial. Perry said it will be case-by-case, but offered to let them testify first so they would be able to listen to the rest of the hearing.
Cindy was called to testify shortly thereafter and Casey began crying as soon as her mother was sworn in.
The prosecution is trying to establish a case for law enforcement discussions with Casey and her statements made the night and following day her mother called 911 in July 2008. The defense believes they should be suppressed.
"Seeing your daughter is very traumatic, being handcuffed and taken to the car," Cindy said on the stand about the night Casey was arrested.
The prosecution is not playing softball with Cindy and is pushing her hard to help them support their argument that Casey's comments to law enforcement are admissible and should not be suppressed, which is was the defense is fighting for.
Cindy has stepped down from testifying, and Casey seemed to do everything she could not to look at her mother as she got down from the stand. As Cindy walked past Casey, Cindy looked over and Casey just stared down at her papers.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony Attends Court Hearing   Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:00 pm

Casey Anthony Attends Court Hearing

Anthony's Murder Trial Set To Begin In May

POSTED: Tuesday, March 1, 2011
UPDATED: 10:15 am EST March 2, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Casey Anthony became emotional and cried when her mother took the stand Wednesday during a two-day court hearing that is covering several legal motions.
WATCH LIVE: Casey Anthony In Court
RECENT REPORTS: Tony Pipitone | II

Anthony's defense team and prosecutors are arguing recent motions during the hearing at the Orange County Courthouse.
Anthony's mother, Cindy Anthony, took the stand and answered questions from her defense team attorney, Cheney Mason, and a state prosecutor. Casey Anthony broke down and cried when she saw her mother take the stand.
Anthony's defense is trying to show that Casey Anthony was effectively in custody before she provided what authorities say were deceptive statements when Cindy Anthony called 911 to report that her granddaughter, Caylee, was missing. Cindy Anthony said her daughter was handcuffed shortly after officers arrived at their home and the cuffs were later removed.
Prior to the hearing, prosecutor Jeff Ashton had complained to Judge Belvin Perry that defense attorney Jose Baez missed another deadline, this one to detail objections to the state's scientific evidence. Baez filed papers this week denying he did anything wrong, but Perry will decide Wednesday if Baez is in contempt of court.
The hearings will also discuss key evidence in the murder trial. Anthony's defense argues that statements Anthony made to investigators in July 2008, before she was taken to jail, should be suppressed and kept out of the trial because she was not read her rights, but the prosecution argues that Anthony's statements were voluntary and is prepared to call lead Detective Yuri Melich to prove that.
The defense also wants statements Anthony made in jail, through video visitations with family and letters to another inmate, to be thrown out. The state is trying to prevent that.
George and Cindy Anthony, and Casey Anthony's brother, Lee, attended Wednesday's hearing.
The state announced Monday it will not use secret video of Anthony's reaction to the news that a body had been found near her family's east Orange County home.
Anthony's defense team argued the recording was a setup.
Anthony, 24, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her daughter, Caylee Marie Anthony.
Caylee was 2 years old when she was reported missing in July 2008, one month after being last seen by her grandparents. Caylee's remains were discovered by a meter reader in December 2008.
Anthony's trial is expected to begin May 9.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony: Testimony focuses on deputy who handcuffed Anthony   Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:07 pm

Casey Anthony: Testimony focuses on deputy who handcuffed Anthony

What happens today and Thursday could largely frame the prosecution and defense strategies for the trial, scheduled to begin in May.

By Anthony Colarossi and Amy Pavuk, Orlando Sentinel

1:38 p.m. EST, March 2, 2011

Prosecutors and defense attorneys in the first-degree murder case against Casey Anthony are back in court this afternoon to pick back up on witness testimony and arguments.
What is expected to be a two-day hearing began this morning with heated, and at times, emotional testimony from Anthony's parents, George Anthony and Cindy Anthony.
Casey Anthony cried this morning as her mother took the stand.
Shortly before noon today, testimony focused on the Orange County deputy who was one of the first to respond to the Anthony's east Orange County home the day their 2-year-old granddaughter, Caylee Marie, was reported missing in the summer of 2008.
That testimony continued when attorneys returned from a lunch break.

Orange County Sheriff's Deputy Ryan Eberlin told defense attorneys he initially handcuffed Casey Anthony and put her in a patrol car, but later removed those cuffs at the direction of a supervisor because a detective wanted to talk to her. At that time, the focus of the investigation was still on a missing person.
Eberlin testified that he did not read Casey Anthony her rights. This is significant to the defense's case, because it could possibly jeopardize statements she later made to homicide detectives.
George Anthony testifies
The defense called George Anthony to testify just before 11 a.m., and he was immediately emotional as attorney Jose Baez questioned him about the day Caylee Marie was reported missing.
George Anthony said he came home from work and saw Cindy Anthony in the garage, and she was very upset.
Baez asked if he needed a break to compose himself.
"It's just an emotional time," George Anthony said. "It's hard."
Anthony, a former deputy who was working as a security officer when Caylee was reported missing, told Baez he thought it was unusual that at one point, Casey Anthony was put in a patrol car, handcuffed, then un-handcuffed and brought back into the family's house.
George Anthony's testimony became heated when he was questioned by prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick.
Anthony wanted an Amber Alert to immediately be issued for his missing granddaughter. He said it remains a sore subject.
At one point, Drane Burdick and Anthony kept talking over each other, to which Chief Judge Belvin Perry said: "Be quiet."
"Don't talk over each other," Perry said.
Drane Burdick asked Anthony if he saw any deputies threaten Casey Anthony.
"There wasn't anything threatening, no," George Anthony said.
Drane Burdick asked Anthony if his wife wanted Casey Anthony arrested for stealing family money if she didn't tell them and deputies where Caylee was located.
"That's a possibility," George Anthony answered.
Meanwhile, Anthony told Baez he was in a traumatic state when he learned Caylee was missing.
It was also difficult for him to see his daughter handcuffed.
"It was traumatic. I remember crying," George Anthony said.
His testimony wrapped up about 11:45 a.m.
Cindy Anthony testifies
At about 9:45 a.m., the defense called Cindy Anthony to testify.
Anthony, being questioned by defense attorney Cheney Mason, told the court about law-enforcement's interaction with her daughter when Caylee Marie was reported missing.
Anthony said she heard the questioning going on between her daughter and Sheriff's Office Detective Yuri Melich, whom she described as intimidating.
Drane Burdick then questioned Cindy Anthony, whom became flustered at one point.
Drane Burdick asked Cindy Anthony if she expected deputies to question Casey Anthony on July 15, after Cindy Anthony called 911 to report Caylee missing.
Cindy Anthony started to argue with the prosecutor and was stopped by Perry.
"I'm not stupid. This is very unsettling for me," Cindy Anthony told the judge and prosecutor.
Drane Burdick asked Cindy Anthony what she thought detectives were doing when they took Casey Anthony the day Caylee was reported missing.
"I don't know. I was not told," Cindy Anthony said.
Anthony said she assumed they were attempting to find Caylee.
Drane Burdick asked Cindy Anthony if she wanted deputies to use the tactic of taking Casey to jail over the stolen money to help find Caylee.
"I wanted anything to get to Caylee, but I didn't want my daughter arrested," Cindy Anthony said.
Anthony also said it was very traumatic to see her daughter handcuffed and placed in a patrol car.
One of the issues between the prosecutor and Cindy Anthony was whether or not Casey Anthony was allowed to leave her house when deputies and detectives arrived.
Drane Burdick asked if Casey could have left on her own.
"I wouldn't let her leave by herself," Cindy Anthony said.
The prosecutor asked Anthony if she would have sat on Casey Anthony to keep her in the house if she had to.
"Probably," Cindy Anthony replied.
After about an hour of testifying, Cindy Anthony left the stand.
As she walked out of the courtroom, she mouthed, "I love you" to Casey Anthony.
Debate about subpoenas, other legal issues
The first item of the morning was a debate over subpoenas for several Orange County jail officials. Perry ruled the employees are on standby to testify.
Next, Perry denied a request by Baez to have what he called a "personal attack" on him by the prosecution addressed first, before the long list of motions being dealt with, today and Thursday.
The prosecution has asked for Baez to show why he should not be held in contempt of court for failing to miss a deadline. The issue is scheduled to be handled last in the serious of motions. Perry agreed it would be dealt with later.
What happens today through Thursday could largely frame the prosecution and defense strategies for the trial, scheduled to begin in May.
If convicted, Casey Anthony faces a possible death sentence in the 2008 death of her daughter, Caylee Marie.
Also likely to emerge during this week's hearings: ongoing tensions between defense attorney Baez and the prosecution, which again called for Baez to be punished for failing to meet a court-ordered deadline.
Here's a sampling of the issues to be argued in court:
The defense wants to keep out statements Casey Anthony gave law enforcement early on in the case, so the witnesses likely to take part in the proceedings include Orange County detectives Yuri Melich and John Allen, and also members of Casey Anthony's family.
Pieces of evidence considered will include Anthony's handwritten statement made July 15, 2008; a handwritten letter she wrote to then-Sheriff Kevin Beary; statements she gave during a trip to Universal Studios with investigators; and transcripts and audio of her statements to Melich and Allen.
The defense also wants to block statements Casey Anthony made to her parents, her brother, a fellow inmate she befriended at the Orange County Jail and a former corrections officer at the jail.
Witnesses on those issues should include the detectives, George, Cindy and brother Lee Anthony, the inmate/friend Robyn Adams and the former corrections officer, Sylvia Hernandez.
The defense has argued that efforts by Casey Anthony's family and law enforcement "to elicit information [from Casey Anthony] in the absence of counsel was neither fair nor honest and should not be tolerated by the court." The defense also argues that the Anthony family members early on in the case "were acting as agents of the state" by trying to get Anthony to share information and talk to authorities.
WFTV challenges witness plan
Prosecutors want to exclude certain defense witnesses that showed up recently on a list, including WFTV-Channel 9 reporter Kathi Belich. Assistant State Attorney Linda Drane Burdick argued that the release of the witness list in mid-February was late and the defense needs "to establish good cause for the delay in disclosure of the witnesses." WFTV attorneys also challenged the defense calling Belich as a witness for certain information she has reported, citing reporter "privilege."
They also expressed concern about Belich's ability to cover the case, if she is sequestered as a witness.
Chloroform issues
The prosecution challenges the defense team's legal arguments and attempts to exclude certain scientific information, specifically evidence dealing with chloroform and plant and root growth in connection with the case.
The defense argues that scientific findings of "high amounts of chloroform" found in the trunk of Casey Anthony's car are "absolutely 100% false and constitute a fraud on the American public and potential jury pool of Miss Anthony."
In a response, prosecutor Jeff Ashton called the defense motion "glaringly insufficient" for citing no "scientific authority which would call into question the general acceptance of standard tests used by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory."
Baez faces contempt allegation
The last motion scheduled for hearing may be the most contentious. Ashton has called for Baez to show in court why he should not be held in contempt for missing a court-ordered deadline. Earlier this year, Ashton argued for court sanctions against Baez for missing another deadline.
This time, Ashton notes, Baez was supposed to submit written details with the court and the prosecution on certain issues to be objected to under the so-called "Frye test," which deals with admitting new scientific evidence in the courtroom and determining whether the evidence has "gained general acceptance."
The deadline passed on Feb. 17, and when Ashton contacted Baez about his compliance with the court order, Ashton said he "expressed some 'confusion.'" In an email later sent to the judge's assistant, Ashton said Baez claimed "not to understand the clear and unambiguous language in the court's order."
In an angry response filed Monday, Baez questions whether Ashton is engaging in "gamesmanship" with this argument and then calls Ashton's actions "clever, the tactic being, make opposing counsel defend himself instead of his client."
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony: Dramatic George, Cindy Anthony top noon news   Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:00 pm

Casey Anthony: Dramatic George, Cindy Anthony top noon news
Caylee and Casey Anthony, George and Cindy Anthony, WESH, WFTV, WKMG — posted by halboedeker on March, 2 2011 12:32 PM

Casey Anthony was in tears this morning at a hearing. Photo credit: Red Huber/Orlando Sentinel
Dramatic moments this morning at a Casey Anthony hearing were the top story at noon on WFTV-Channel 9, WKMG-Channel 6 and WESH-Channel 2.

WFTV anchor Greg Warmoth set the tone: “Prosecutors grilled Cindy Anthony today in the case against Casey, but just the sight of her mother caused Casey to break down in tears before Cindy ever spoke a word.”
WKMG-Channel 6’s Tony Pipitone said, “Casey wiped away tears as her mother took the stand.”
Hearings this week will determine what evidence the jury will hear at the murder trial, which starts in May. Casey Anthony is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her daughter, Caylee.
WFTV anchor Vanessa Echols noted the importance of the hearings, but the stations focused on the raw emotions, because the judge had made no decisions on the motions by noon.

Cindy Anthony was the first witness, and she recalled seeing her daughter put in handcuffs the first time. WFTV’s Steve Barrett described Cindy as “visibly upset and shaking on the stand.” Echols said, “Several times Cindy Anthony got upset while she was on the stand. “
WESH-Channel 2’s Bob Kealing highlighted that George Anthony and prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick clashed over whether an Amber Alert for Caylee should have been issued in the case. It hadn’t been.
Chief Judge Belvin Perry told George Anthony, “Sir, be quiet. Question, then answer. Don’t talk over each other.”
WKMG’s Pipitone focused on the parents’ agreement that law enforcement told them that their daughter was headed to jail July 16, 2008. The parents didn’t agree on which investigator told them Casey Anthony wouldn’t be coming home. “Those sort of things happen in this case and in other cases,” Pipitone said.
Pipitone added that the hearing would go all afternoon. “Judge Belvin Perry is just going to try to roll through these motions,” Pipitone said.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony 2 March morning session happenings   Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:52 pm

Casey Anthony 2 March morning session happenings

Filed under Casey Anthony

Baez had subpoenaed a whole slew of correctional officer for 2 days. The Jail was mad that he was keeping them for 2 days, and it was wasting taxpayers money! They will be called by Baez office, 2 hours before testifying!
Baez also wanted the motion against him heard first. Of course he did not file a motion to change the schedule!
The A’s want to be released from testifying! Wonder if they are worried about lying and getting caught later on. It had been said that they want to be in the courtroom at all times. Of course we know George doesn’t want to be, as he has missed many hearings! They are worried about impeachment! Cindy and Georges motion to sit in the courtroom at all times has been DENIED! This is for this hearing only!
• Defendants motion to Suppress Statements to LE officers and amended motions to Suppress statements.
Cindy Anthony is the first witness! She got up and fed her lines, and seems like she had been coached! Cindy said Yuri Melich sequestered Casey to the bedroom to talk to her. Casey was handcuffed the night of the 15th and set in a car, then she left with a deputy and when she came back! When she came in the house she had no handcuffs.
Cross by the state:
Cindy got hounded hard by the state. Of course without Casey taking the stand, I believe that Cindy will get most the hounding, which will be well deserved!
Cindy can’t fix a time to any of this at this time! LDB gave a time line. Of course Cindy back stepped on her words. In her 911 call she didn’t want Casey arrested as she stated, she wanted for someone to come out and talk to her daughter! They went over Cindy’s statement and the time she wrote it. She says someone else filled in the top of her statement. Cindy remembers NO NAMES but that there were several deputies that arrived at different times! Alot of times spent on what Cindy wanted when she called 911. Cindy lost Lee that night! Cindy got the idea that Casey was cooperating with the deputies! Casey was answering questions for the deputies, and mentioned the ZFG nanny. Cindy assumed Casey was arrested the night of the 15th because she was handcuffed! FACT: handcuffs do not mean arrest, it also could be they were detaining her. Cindy did NOT hear Yuri Melich accuse Casey of anything after he got there at 3:51 am. When Casey got back with Yuri she went into her bedroom? correct said Cindy! Cindy had to tell Casey to get off the phone and they needed to look for Caylee! After John Allen arrived, and he told Cindy in person that Casey might not be coming home. He told Cindy of something occurred, they would be notified. Cindy did not say goodbye to Casey because she didn’t know that Casey wasn’t coming back, even though she was told.
Mason redirect:
He asked her about the statement. And he asked if her focus was on “where is Caylee”. And the focus when officers arrived was on “where was Caylee”. No miranda rights were read to Casey.
State redirect:
Did someone keep Casey at home. Cindy said she did not leave without a police officer. Casey had ever opportunity to leave except Cindy would not have let her leave.
George on the stand! Baez is at the helm.
George throws Casey a kiss! In the early evening hours George was at work on the 15th of July. George got home around 10 to 10:00 pm. he saw Cindy hysterical in the garage area. She said that Caylee was missing. Casey was at home and lee. The police arrived in about 15 minutes to a half hour after he got there! What was he wearing, was he black. Would you notice if you saw him. George remembers nothing about the stolen car, it was about Caylee. George thinks Casey was handcuffed at about 1 am. He saw her handcuffed in the garage. The sergeant who handcuffed her put her in the car. The Sergeant told George that she might be taken in to custody for Child abuse. She was in the back of the car about 30 minutes to an hour. She was uncuffed after she got out of the car. The detectives took Casey to where Caylee could possibly be. George drove to work to tell them that he wouldn’t be to work until his granddaughter is found! TODAY he still isn’t working?
Cross by the State:
LDB is up. She asked if George knows that there is a record of all calls, and detailed reports. George agrees with LDB detailed records are kept up. They looked at Geo statement. Top filled out by someone other than George. The first thing was taking statements by deputies. Alot of reference to George’s old patrol days, because he knows everything. George went off about the Amber Alert, which we know they do not put out on after 31 days! George is rather pissy on the stand, and arrogant! George believes it was a sergeant that arrived first? He did not speak to the A’s in a threatening manner or in a harsh tone. Both George and Cindy were thankful that the deputies were thankful they were there. It is Georges testimony, that he did not see Casey go with the deputy to see where Caylee last was. George did not see Casey return after. Can you place when you believe this handcuffing incident took place. George said 1:30-2:00 in the am. George remembers because he got a phone call or something. George has not reviewed anything. It was not a surprise when Melich came to talk to Casey. This took place in Casey’s room when Melich talked to Casey. George did not know that the talk was recorded. For hours George was urging for people to go and look for Caylee. Casey went voluntarily. George saw them walk out, and Casey was placed in the front seat. He meant sat in the front seat under her own power. No one forced her. Casey returned and went inside without Melich. Casey went to her room to get some rest. He has no idea if she slept. George went into Casey rooms to wake her up and tell her that officers were coming to get her for more questions.
George had a real attitude issue today. Told LDB not to put words in his mouth, but she did not do that! Yuri Melich called George to tell him Casey was not coming back, so George said. George indicated the Sergeant was who handcuffed his daughter. He is black 6 feet tall, first one on the scene, George describes him.
Baez redirect:
George never seen his daughter handcuffed, and that was the first. It was very traumatic. George claims he was never asked about Casey being handcuffed.
NO redirect by the state!
I will add the Deputies for the afternoon! BUT FOR THE RECORD, the deputy on the stand is white, and not black like Cindy and George have stated who handcuffed Casey!
Casey enters court
CINDY TESTIFIES: Part 1 of 3
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony 2 March afternoon session happenings   Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:55 pm

Casey Anthony 2 March afternoon session happenings

Filed under Casey Anthony

The start of the afternoon was the finishing up of Deputy Ryan Eberlin. He is the one who handcuffed Casey the night of 15 July 2008.
Deputy Ryan Eberlin took the stand. Mason is at the helm.
He was questioned about the case and how he got involved. he went to the Anthony home for a stolen vehicle. He spoke to Lee Anthony, and spoke to the whole A family. He was there for about 8 hours. He was only there on the 15th of July. He cuffed Casey. After he handcuffed her, he had conversation with his supervisor. The conversation was about to take her out of handcuffs, and focus on the kidnapping. Casey was instructed she could go back inside.
The state handed a page to the defense team. They had a chance to read it at lunch.
The paperwork shows the deputies name on it! Corporal Fletcher was the first to arrive. He arrived at 2242 hours. When he arrived he was briefed briefly by the Corporal. He was told to assist in completion of some statements. State handed out the statements. He wrote the top parts of the statements of Cindy and George. Offense was kidnapping. Suspect was listed as ZFG. He wrote the case number also. He recognizes all the writing as his own on the statements.
He is looking at the call history. Sgt. Hosey made a call to watch commander OPD, and Casey was still filling out her statement. Casey Anthony gave him the address that he wrote on the Casey statement. Casey wrote her statement at the kitchen table, and gave him the ZFG information also. He told her to write down everything that happened that night. At the time of completion of the statement, the Deputy doesn’t remember how much time had passed. Casey was placed in handcuffs with copies of receipts of fraudulent receipts and she did not want them to leave with out knowing where Caylee was and she feared Casey would leave. Cindy wanted to press charges! SO he handcuffed Casey because Cindy wanted her arrested. What a way to slap Cindy in the head! He was at the A’s until his shift was over. He cleared the call at 0555.
D-team redirect:
The call was a call to service for a kidnapped but was changed from stolen vehicle. Mason is concerned about the time. The Deputy arrived at 2242 hours at the A’s house. The d-team was looking at the time the call was dispatched. Mason had to talk about the weight of people. Did you tell her why you were doing it? He doesn’t believe he told her why she was being handcuffed. He doesn’t recall. Casey couldn’t bolt, lets move on from this.
Next up:
Adriana Acevado [sp]. 5 years as a cop. Mason at the helm. [for the record Casey was in the cage of her police car]
She took Casey on a drive to look for the apartment, which was SawGrass. She never said Casey was arrested. She talked to Casey and checked on her well being, while she was in the cage.Yes when they went to the apartment, she was in the cage, in the cage, in the cage of the car. She was in the back of the patrol car in the cage. She can’t remember how long it was, but she was in the cage of the car. Casey was in the cage of the car. Mason has made a point to let us know that Casey was in the back cage of the car. Fletcher followed them in his car, while Casey was in the cage of the car. It was 15 minutes to the apartment and 11 minutes to get back to the house, and Casey was still in the cage of the car. It was 26 minutes to drive round trip and they were at the apartment for 9 minutes. So for 35 minutes she was in the cage of the car! There were about 2 other deputies when they returned. She did let Casey out of the cage of the car. She left at 0330.
State Cross:
She had assisted in getting statements from the A’s! Her transport of Casey was to see the apartment where her daughter was last seen. Casey said she did not have specific information. So Casey showed them! She was not threatened in her presence. Casey was patted down to make sure there were no weapons on Casey. Policy is to transport enter in the back of the vehicle for the deputies safely. She has transported many different people in the cage of her car. The hauling of anyone in her car is standard procedure to sit in the cage of her car. She was directed where to go by Casey. The glass into the back seat was open and she was asked to sit by the glass so she could hear where to go and when to turn. She was told to take her because she was the only female. Fletcher went to talk to who was in the apartment about a missing Caylee. She stayed in the car with Casey, Fletcher got out of the car to verify the apartment which Casey said she left Caylee. She believes Casey was helping them find the address to where Caylee was last seen. Casey was in her car, but was not in custody or under arrest. Once back at home, Casey was permitted to go about her lies. She can’t remember if she engaged Casey after the return.
Redirect:
Casey was never let out of the car at the apartment. Casey pointed from the car. She knows nothing about Melich coming over to the house and questioning of Casey.
State:
Fletcher went there to get information about Caylee. Casey pointed to the apartment and Fletcher talked to her at the window of the car. Fletcher went up to the apartment and Casey said it was the apartment.
Defense:
Was Casey read her miranda rights? No
Yuri Melich: Baez at the Helm
You first received a call at 0045 hours on the 16th. You were there for a missing child. Were you made aware of how long the child had been missing? YES. The run down is the child had been missing for 31 days. The grandmother had reported it. Arrived at 3 am. He had not known Casey took them to the apartment. He was not informed about the credit card theft. He was unaware of what transpired before he got there. He did not tell the deputy to uncuff the Casey. He did not tell him to get a statement before cuffing her. Baez line of question really had noting to do with Melich! He called his boss after 2 am and before 3 am when he left. Red flags were seen: 30 days a child was missing, no phone number, took deputies to an apartment that was vacant. Baez kept trying to get Melcih to say that Casey was a suspect. Melich isn’t going there and is wanting to know what suspicious is. Baez tried hard to get Melich to say that Casey was a suspicious. Baez has no definition to the word suspicious. Melich was interested and wanted to find out more.
Melich separated Casey from her family. He asked Casey if her statement was true and she said yes. Baez kept insisting that Casey was a suspect. Casey was aware she was recorded in the bedroom. Casey was not Mirandaed during the conversation. After questioning Casey he asked Casey to show him where Caylee was last. Melich found out a few months ago that Casey was handcuffed. He found out from the state attorney. He got Casey phone records. Checked phone records of her friends. There was a marked car following to SawGrass. First was 301 Hilside seniors apartment. 232 Glenwood was never told about until after the note was found. Doors were not knocked on. She lead him to SawGrass and drove through the parking lot. After to Crossings at Conway, knocked on some doors. It was about 6 am. Casey is with him until 6 or 7 am. She was not Mirandaed at all. When he arrived, Geo walked up to the passenger side of the car and talked to Melich. He was worried about Casey and he said that she wasn’t giving them all the info. Casey is still not a suspect at this time. He was suspicious AFTER he found out that SawGrass was vacant. Melich went to Universal to talk to the people Casey mentioned. he find out that Casey was fired in 2006. Jeff was fired in 2002. He thought Casey worked off site of Universal. He wanted Casey to clarify where she worked. Baez sure is trying hard to put words in Melcih’s mouth. The whole work thing is over. Baez won’t break Melich! Melich could not believe Casey was such a liar about her job! Melich could not believe she lied so hard to claim a job. She finally admitted that she did not work at Universal. Detective Well, Melich and Allen took Casey into a room with the door closed. The room is 8 feet by 10-12 feet. Three adult males are in the room. They interrogate Casey at this time. They do not read her, her rights. They did not tell her she could leave or that they would take her home. Melich told her things were looking very good for her. Casey was given options, and she is not given her rights. Casey continued with the charade about Caylee and the nanny. The voice raising was happening in the room. Allen and Melich leave the room, and Wells was stuck with Casey. They tried some techniques on Casey. They looked at the David pictures. Tehy they took her to the Sheriff office and talked to Detective Wells. Melich and Allen arrested her after this. There was no more direct questions.
State:
The call came through the communication center for Melich. OPD said they were not going to work the case as it was not their jurisdiction. Caey never said that she didn’t want to talk to Melich at any point. He never told her that she was lying and that she was a suspect. Casey never said that she wanted to stop talking. she never said get out of the house, or get out of the room. Casey was very cooperative. She said she wanted their help to find her child. At 0411 Melich and Casey went in the room. It was 30 minutes of tape in the room. She was on the end of the bed, Melich at the desk chair. The records show the call was cleared at 0601. The transport took about an hour, going to SawGrass, the seniors housing, Crossing at Conway. She was not mirandized because she was a mother of a missing child, not a suspect at that time. Melcih asked Casey to show him where she dropped Caylee off. It was a request not an order. Casey had no problem going. Casey directed Melich where to go. He had never been to these places before. Melich never arrested, touched her or drug her out of the house. In the car Casey sat in the front seat, there was no cage in the Melich mobile! Casey entered on her own. Casey never said she wanted to go home. Nothing was seized form Casey. Melich did not know if Casey had her phone. She was never told to not leave town. He called Casey to get more info on where she worked, her boss, the number, etc. He talked to Cindy when he was at Universal! Melich does not recall telling George that Casey won’t be coming home. He did not pursue the smell in the car at this time. He still treated Casey as if she was the mother of a missing child. Meet Casey at the employee enterance gate. Casey was NOT in handcuffs, she was not being man handled, she wasn’t surrounded by them, she walked by herself to the gate. The state showed pictures of the front door, 9 is showing inside of front door and hall way, 10 lead to the small room she was interviews…..all universal pictures. Melich remember Allen telling Casey the door was closed for privacy reasons. She was NOT held captive in the room. She apologized for giving LE the run around. She had her phone but never tried to make a call. She never identified anyone in the DAVID as ZFG. She never asked to leave, get out, want a lawyer at any point at Universal. They left Universal the way they went in. They said lets go back to the station, she never asked for a lawyer, her parent, or wanted to go home. She agreed to go to the station. Casey is wearing a visitors badge, she was a visitor at the station. Casey was brought into the station as a visitor. She was not brought in like she was in custody.
Defense:
Casey was a possible! :) Casey was not mirandized at the house because she was the mother of a missing child. George told Melcih that there was a smell in the car that smelled like dead human. Baez is still trying to get Melich to break, and he won’t.
Be back tomorrow for more chit chat while the hearing is on. 9 am Florida time!
Check out pictures from today hearing
FROM WFTV:
CINDY TESTIFIES: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3
GEORGE TESTIFIES: Part 1 | Part 2
CASEY ENTERS COURT: Raw Video
CASEY CRIES like a baby IN COURT: Images | Video
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Re: CASEY ANTHONY ~ MARCH ~ 2011   Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:01 pm

True to form.......Casey certainly was a nominee for an award this morning.

When her 'loving' NOT mother took the stand.....the tears flowed

much like the mighty Mississippi.

No doubt, she was coached by Bozo to begin her performance....and

her acting was stellar.

However.......George left the stand.....passed right by her and Casey's

was busy as a bee with her legal pad and pen......

It was priceless....

Why are they BOTH distancing themselves from each other?

Is it because of the sexual abuse she claimed he did to her?

This entire family is sick, beyond sick.

What more can I say? The Anthonys leave me speechless......with

their antics and lies.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony - A Look Into A Crystal Ball   Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:24 pm

Casey Anthony – A Look Into A Crystal Ball

03/02/2011 donchais Leave a comment Go to comments

There is no way I would even attempt to capture and summarize today, tomorrow and Friday. I will say this prolonged stretch of hearings is giving us a tiny glimpse or, shall we say preview, of what to expect in May!
Casey is dressed by…oh, I don’t know…Cindy? George? Jose?
We just broke for lunch, I’m tired from all the anticipation and build-up and am somewhat surprised and not so surprised!
I will begin by saying what I have witnessed of Judge Perry ruling on objections is concise, swift and cuts through the crap! Brava, Judge Perry!
Cindy, George are present and I have to say I’m surprised Dorothy Clay Sims is there…I thought she fled to the hills long ago!
First order of business was Motion to Quash Subpoenas and/or Motions for Protective Order.
Tamara Gappen informed the court of the Correction Departments objection to the defense consistently mixing criminal issues with the issues involving Corrections. Pretty much she says the defense has screwed around with issues for over two years and calling all these Corrections employees in with no specified time and day…IE, to hang around in a court hallway for two full days…is burdensome the Corrections system as well as taxpayers!
With the exception of 3 employees, all are released from subpoenas and the 3 will remain on call for 2 hours notice if…I repeat IF…they are needed!
Next, Baez wants his, being a bad boy…gee Beaver, Mom and Dad are really gonna be pissed…can’t file anything on time, show cause motion heard. Nah, Perry says ain’t gonna happen, he’s going by the list filed and Ashton says…oh, that was last on the list to be heard so I didn’t bring my file, but if the court really wants it heard now, I can surely address it now. Judge Perry says, well I’m going by the list that was filed…whoever filed it…I wasn’t here yesterday!
Isn’t this fun?!?
Next, is Mark Lipman, Cindy and George latest legal dupe! He claims that George and Cindy, as grandparents, shouldn’t be sequestered during the hearings as they are the closest living relatives to the victim. He claims to have filed with the court yesterday and Judge Perry says he never got anything, checked the computer, nothing has been scanned in. Hmmm, did Lipman go to the Baez school of filing motions? Lipman also wants whatever the Judge rules to carry over for the trial as well so they don’t have to address this again.
Judge Perry indicates he is aware that Georgie’s and Cindy’s testimony has changed over time and doesn’t want them together at this hearing! A major DENIED!
Cindy called to the stand. Early, she gets a bit testy…shades of the Morgan depo…but, settles down and did fairly well, once Perry herded all parties to the OK corral! Strangely enough, Casey actually sheds a few tears and Cindy looks as if she had been crying earlier.
BTW, at some point, Baez jumps up and says he has a recording involving this testimony and Burdick say she hasn’t received it. The good Judge says to hold on, we are going by the list!
Cindy goes into detail of seeing LE handcuff Casey the night of the 15th…testimony, I swear to God, I have never heard before!
Remember Cindy’s 911 call where she wanted someone at her house arrested for theft…money and the car. As far as I can discern, this is why Casey MAY have been cuffed.
Under direct by Mason, we realize that Cindy told Mason the John Allen said he needed to pick Casey up for further questioning and, “she may not be coming back.” Nobody else seems to have this testimony.
George is called next and he has no recollection of theft of money or the car being brought up. I have to say, Georgie is every bit as arrogant and snarky as he was during the Morgan depo. Cindy is obviously trainable; George, not so much! Also, no emotion from Casey with George on stand and, holy cow, she is forcefully shaking her head NO to a bunch of testiphony! Hmmm, not towing the family line, Georgie?
George testifies Casey was hand cuffed for at least 30 minutes to and hour.(Ummmmm, Casey told Baez…10 minutes).
He also, in contradiction to Cindy say Casey was with Melich in wrong bedroom and the door was closed. Later that becomes the door may have been partly opened!
George says the ‘black sargent’ cuffed Casey and when Burdick asked if he testified to the State during his deposition that Casey was cuffed, he replied, “No, nobody (Ashton) didn’t ask me!”
Deputy Ryan Eberlin testifies he cuffed Casey…oh yeah, he’s a hefty WHITE boy!..because Cindy was afraid Casey would leave before the learned anything about Caylee’s whereabouts. He testifies she was cuffed maybe 3-4 minute before he was instructed by his supervisor to uncuff her because of possible child abuse/neglect charges they may pursue.
Adriana Acevedo up. She transported Casey to the Sawgrass Apartment. Mason indicates Casey was ‘CAGED‘ in the back of the vehicle. Acevedo says Casey was in the back of the police vehicle, BUT she was not cuffed!
Yuri Melich is called. He agrees with Baez he didn’t know she was arrested or cuffed before arriving on scene. Baez is making a big mistake trying to trip-up Melich!
Baeztries to get Melich to say everything about Casey was suspicious. Melich says no, it was interesting because he had yet to talk with her directly. Ultimately, remember that we have Casey’s statement, hand-written by her that night!
Oh, the pig Baez asks Melich if he interviewed her in a bedroom…alone with her!
Melich is a consummate officer and Baez just made a complete fool of himself. He wants Melich to explain why he never mirandized Casey. Geez, even I get it Casey wasn’t under arrest! Good God, Baez is a total moron tool! Ya know what? I’m going back to Baez really believes, ‘if he says it repeatedly, it must make it true!’ Baez is so outclassed by Melich!
Baez’s line of questioning is so out of line. He literally says to Yuri, “so you forced her to lie?” “So, you let her keep going, keep lying?” Melich says, “no, I couldn’t imagine she was going through this much effort to lie about her missing daughter.”
Oh, ok, I finally get it…the light bulb just went on…Caylee’s murder is the fault of Yuri Melich and John Allen and Appy Wells…it was all a freakin trick by LE! So, 600 pounds of LE beefcake means there is no way Casey could have run!
Baez goes on and on about the cops playing good cop, bad cop. Water boarding?
Holy freakin crap! Baez says water boarding…Melich says, “no, we don’t waterboard!’ This is a total disgrace…LE was doing nothing but looking for a young baby! Yuri goes on to say how at this point of running around town and Universal, Casey was laughing and joking…he was totally baffled because this was not the picture of a concerned mom of a missing child!
Burdickis questioning Melichand hopefully she won’t drag it out because this has become painful! Remember, at that time Melich was an officer with missing child and child abuse division.
Melich says when questioning Casey at her home, her folks and a bunch of officers were present and Casey never said I don’t want to talk to you! Get out of my house!
Casey asked you to help her find her child? Yes!
This first day of hearings is running far longer than any of us anticipated! Although, have to say this is the most engaged I have ever seen Casey!
Burdick is totally trashing Baez’s direct of Melich! Casey agreed to all of the things LE discussed and requested of her. Casey was more than happy to comply as the “star” in this psycho drama!
I admit, I started doping off!
Baez is now claiming that Casey was issued a visitor badge at the jail that led her to believe she was not suspect in her daughter’s disappearance.
Baez now gets into George said there was a death odor in the car and Yuri didn’t connect it to Caylee. So why didn’t you check that before you talked to Casey?
OMG! The feed got lost! I’m so tired, hungry and pissed that I’ll sign off for now. Hope this helps those who didn’t have access or ability to watch!
Let us not forget the precious little baby who got lost in all this!
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: George, Cindy, State Clash At Emotional Casey Hearing   Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:52 pm

George, Cindy, State Clash At Emotional Casey Hearing

Casey's Parents Take Stand As Motions Are Argued

POSTED: 5:36 pm EST March 2, 2011
UPDATED: 6:17 pm EST March 2, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Casey Anthony's mother, father and the lead detective in the murder case took the stand Wednesday on the first day of a scheduled two-day hearing.
The two sides in the case are arguing nine motions in the case.
On Wednesday, the testimony related to Anthony's statements that she made to law enforcement on the day of her first arrest. Defense attorneys want the statements thrown out.
Anthony broke into tears as her mother took the oath.
George and Cindy Anthony, Casey's parents, both testified that they never heard anyone read their daughter her Miranda rights. The lead detective, Yuri Melich, testified he never did.
The Anthonys frequently clashed with prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick during testimony.
"I'm not stupid," Cindy Anthony told the prosecutor.
"I'm not suggesting that, I'm just trying to establish a timeline," Drane Burdick replied.

Cindy Anthony admitted on the stand that she wanted investigators to make sure her daughter didn't leave without telling them where Caylee Anthony was.
"Was it not your expectation that when they called them they would come to your house and ask questions?" the state asked.
"Yes," Cindy Anthony replied.
George Anthony criticized investigators in testimony for not issuing an Amber Alert, which prompted another confrontation.
"You never issued one and you should have," he said.

Melich testified that they did not consider Anthony a suspect at the time, rather solely the mother of a missing child.
Judge Belvin Perry has not made a decision on the motion.
Seven of the nine motions to be discussed will be taken up Thursday. The hearing is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. WESH.com will stream the hearing live.
Anthony's murder trial is scheduled to begin in May.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Day 1 Of Emotional Casey Hearing Wraps Up   Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:01 am

Day 1 Of Emotional Casey Hearing Wraps Up

Posted: 10:18 am EST March 2, 2011

Updated: 6:47 pm EST March 2, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- An emotional hearing on several motions in the case against Casey Anthony wrapped up Wednesday evening with attorneys prepared to head back to court Thursday.
Casey walked into the courtroom at 9:05am, wearing a red sweater and dark slacks. She was accompanied by her lawyers. Casey's parents were both on hand to testify in the hearing.

CASEY ENTERS COURT: Raw Video | See Images
CASEY CRIES IN COURT: Images | Video
DETECTIVE TESTIFIES: Pt. 1 Of 4 | Pt. 2 | Pt. 3 | Pt. 4
INSIDE THE COURTROOM: Casey, Cindy, George
VIDEO REPORTS: Casey Anthony Back In Court
CINDY TESTIFIES: Part 1 of 3 | Part 2 | Part 3
GEORGE TESTIFIES: Part 1 of 2 | Part 2
MOTIONS: Cindy's Testimony | To Quash
BILL SHEAFFER: Analysis Before Hearing
911 CALLS: Dead Body | Turn In Casey | Caylee Gone

The first discussion was a motion to quash on the subpoenas for jail employees.
The Orange County Corrections attorney started by bringing up the jailhouse video showing Casey's reaction to Caylee's remains being found. However, it's a moot point since the state isn't going to use it; as a result, the jail wants the subpoenas of Orange County jail employees to be dropped.
Casey's attorney, Jose Baez, also shared his opinion on the jail attorney's comments. As a resolution, Baez is expected to meet with the prosecution about needed interviews.
Attorneys also discussed the sequestering of George and Cindy Anthony during hearings and, ultimately, the trial. Perry said it will be case-by-case, but offered to let them testify first so they would be able to listen to the rest of the hearing.
Cindy was called to testify shortly thereafter and Casey began crying as soon as her mother was sworn in.
The prosecution is trying to establish a case for law enforcement discussions with Casey and her statements made the night, and following day, when her mother called 911 in July 2008. The defense believes they should be suppressed.
Cindy was visibly upset on the stand as she struggled with questions from prosecutors about whether she wanted her daughter arrested when she learned of Caylee's disappearance.
"Seeing your daughter is very traumatic, being handcuffed and taken to the car," Cindy said on the stand about the night Casey was arrested.
The prosecution was not playing softball with Cindy and pushed her hard to help them support their argument that Casey's comments to law enforcement are admissible and should not be suppressed, which is what the defense is fighting for.
"I tried to get Casey to take me to Caylee," Cindy said.
"Then you wanted deputies to find Caylee?" prosecutor Linda Drane-Burdick asked.
"Yes," she said. "It was a very difficult night, evening for me that day. I'm not stupid. This is very unsettling for me."
Cindy stepped down from testifying and Casey seemed to do everything she could not to look at her mother as she got down from the stand. As Cindy walked past Casey, Cindy looked over and Casey just stared down at her papers.
At about 10:55am, George Anthony took the stand to testify. As George took the stand, he appeared to blow a kiss toward his daughter as she seemed to try to hold back tears.
Questions went right to the night deputies were first called to the Anthony house.
"I asked what was wrong. She said Caylee was missing. 'Someone has Caylee,'" George said. "The topic was about Caylee and trying to find where she was at."
Baez pressed George about how Casey was taken into custody and whether she was read her Miranda rights. The questioning was directed at whether Casey voluntarily went with a detective looking for Caylee and whether the intention of detectives was to look for Caylee or to charge Casey with a crime.
"I know there were some unpleasantries. Answers about where my granddaughter was at," he said.
Baez also asked George to describe when Casey was handcuffed by officers.
"I walked outside with the deputy who had escorted my daughter," he said.
"How long was Casey in the back of the police car?" Baez asked.
"Maybe about 30 minutes to an hour," George replied.
George told Baez that Casey was taken out of the handcuffs and escorted back into the home. Later that evening, George said Casey and a detective spoke alone in her room. He said he did not know what they talked about.
Judge Belvin Perry set the tone of authority in his courtroom and kept both sides on track during George's testimony.
Prosecutor Linda Drane-Burdick was questioning George Anthony. The two started going back and forth over whether deputies responded quickly enough when Caylee was first reported missing.
Judge Perry stepped in right away.
"That's a sore subject between you and I and we can badger all day long," George said to Drane-Burdick.
"Excuse me, I am going to object," Drane-Burdick replied.
"Just a second folks, listen ... question, answer .... be quiet! Question and answer. Don't talk over each other," Perry stated.
George stepped down from the stand at approximately 10:47am.
After Orange County Deputy Ryan Eberlin briefly took the stand, Judge Perry called for a recess until 1:30pm.
When the hearing resumed, Deputy Eberlin was back on the stand. Casey's attorney, Cheney Mason, questioned Eberlin about what happened when he responded to a 911 call made by Cindy.
The defense said that Casey was wrongly handcuffed by a rookie deputy and is trying to convince Judge Perry to throw out evidence.
Deputy Eberlin admitted that he wrongly handcuffed Casey, and shortly after removed the handcuffs. Eberlin said that after the mistake was corrected, Casey was free to do what she pleased; she was not considered a suspect.
After Deputy Eberlin stepped down from the stand, Deputy Adriana Acevedo was called.
Deputy Acevedo was also asked to describe when she responded to the Anthonys' home on Suburban Drive. She also talked about when Casey accompanied Acevedo in her sheriff's office cruiser to the Sawgrass Apartments, where Casey said she left Caylee with her alleged nanny, Zenaida Gonzalez.
At 2:38pm, Judge Perry called for a 15-minute mid-afternoon break.
When they resumed, Detective Yuri Melich took the stand. Melich was asked by Baez about Caylee's disappearance and about the night officers responded to the home.
"I was unaware that she was placed in handcuffs," Melich told Baez when asked about Casey being taken into custody. "I was unaware of what transpired before I got there."
Baez proceeded to ask Melich about Casey's claim that she worked for Universal Studios. Melich escorted her to the park after she stated in a verbal and written statement that she was an employee there.
Melich stated that he believed she was lying about her employment. When they were at the theme park, employees could not find Casey in their database.
"I can't fathom that the mother of a missing child could lie about this," Melich said.
The hearing wrapped up a few minutes before 5:00pm. There were no decisions made on Wednesday regarding Casey's statements to law enforcement, and Judge Perry called for a recess until 9:00am Thursday with several outstanding motions yet to be discussed.
Casey goes on trial May 9.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Caylee Anthony Case: Magpie reports on 03/02/11 Hearing   Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:05 am

Caylee Anthony Case: Magpie reports on 03/02/11 hearing

Posted on March 2, 2011 by Valhall

Note from Valhall: The following is the first of several reports The Hinky Meter readers will be able to read from a member attending pre-trial (and hopefully trial) sessions. Member Magpie brings this first-hand account.

So…. Wednesday was all about ‘Miranda’…Did Casey get it in time? The consensus in the courtroom today was that the defense was going to lose this battle. Police are allowed to give a person (suspect) some rope and time to dig a hole big enough they can’t get out of. Then the police (LE) will give them some options and a ladder to get out of the hole. Casey elected to stay in her deep well of a hole with Zenaida. So almost 3 years later we debate.

Everyone’s big question is usually the Anthonys. I had several occasions to be in and near them today. Despite the rest of the issues, they are very personable, pleasant and will hold a general conversation. They come through with their heads held high. George seemed to look for any known person in the room and Cindy also, but they would split up to talk. Neither seemed to have much to say to the other. Lee just follows like a pup and is much more quiet. Stays to himself. He did say he’s busy working, planning the wedding (no date yet, maybe next March).
Now, in court, George and Cindy are different. They have their witness personalities and then gallery ones. Neither one of them could go one minute (as in 60 seconds) under cross with Linda Drane-Burdick without aggression showing. George’s anger was palpable in the room. Everyone glanced to each other as he went after Ms. Burdick. They wanted to remain in the courtroom during others testimony using the “grandparents of the victim” card. Judge Perry wasn’t having it. Cindy goes more to a “this is so hard for me…I’m having such a rough time of it…and I’m not stupid”…sympathy play. George just goes straight to anger and “I was a cop so I know what’s what.” Neither worked well for them.
Judge Perry put a couple of quick smack downs today to let everyone know that he is the only authority, and respect to one another will be paid. He looks out to the gallery at every movement and noise. The man has it going on. Totally in control of His room and nobody better forget it.
Casey teared up for a minute when Cindy took the stand. She quickly got over it though. I know there will be debate over her red sweater, but I don’t think there is anything she could wear that wouldn’t garner some issue of debate. At least the sweater fit her well and didn’t look like it needed to be ironed. She actually also looked good today – skin and eyes bright. She wasn’t all giggles and gaffaws either. She did smile at her DT. As has been the case….never looked in her parents direction coming into court or leaving. She didn’t look at them during their testimony; even as they tried to get a quick “I love you” and wink in.
It’s funny how people’s normal reactions to subjects will betray them. When George said that his HR boss had already heard of the families issues and he thought she heard through media???…the media (sitting in the front row behind the SA) all shook their heads no and looked at each other. Obviously by the AM of the 16th the story hadn’t reached that level. Another one of George’s misstatements???…while George testified he was talking about the handcuffing period of the night. When George said Casey was “escorted” by an officer, Casey shook her head no several times and then feverishly began her notes to Baez. Casey just writes and writes and writes. She’ll carefully tear a blank piece of paper off…fold in half….spend a minute creasing the fold and then write a line or two inside. She refolds and places under her notepad. Sometimes she gives them to her DT, sometimes not. But she almost never looks at the witness during their testimony. She did glance at Officer Acevedo a time or two; very fleetingly though. I don’t think I’d heard that Officer Acevedo had gone to school with Lee. Makes you wonder if that was more the reason than that she was female for Casey’s first car ride.
I don’t know if it came across in the video, but when George said “Don’t put words in my mouth” the whole gallery gasped. Also, right after that, George’s selective memory was very good at the exact time that Casey was handcuffed because he received a phone call and looked at his cell’s display? Even Judge Perry made an under his breath comment that “I hope someone will enlighten the court why she was handcuffed”. I don’t know if anyone expected this one motion to take the entire day. Now it goes into tomorrow!
Baez got several comments from the gallery (Press) that he seemed much calmer today. No pen clicking or pacing. I think somebody’s getting some coaching. For all of us it’s a good thing. He seemed to be listening more today than just taking notes also. George takes notes, too, but had an almost blank face. Cindy, every few minutes, would put her head in her hands or lean forward as if in prayer. I think she needs a few seconds of relief often through the day. No matter what else, you can see the hell this is for her. Her demons can’t get shorn with her hair.
I’m not sure if the Anthonys are well prepped in the days events, but when Baez got up to recross Melich, it was George’s time to put his head in his hands and look concerned. Cindy rubbing his back. I was wondering about the quick change in their demeanor until Baez started questioning Melich about being told by someone (George) that the car smelled like death. I guess they knew that tidbit was coming. Casey did good at not reacting, but I don’t think she’ll be able to do that during the more intimate times of Caylee’s death.
Melich did well today. He can definitely hold his own. There was another audible laugh in the gallery when Ms. Burdick showed the picture Casey allowed them to take of her in the Target (Hey I forged my friends checks) hoodie with the visitor’s pass tag affixed to it. My question would be “Why did you take a picture of the mother to put on the flyer of a missing child”. When Baez stood up to object to the picture Casey was writing a ton on her pad and pulling on his sleeve to get him to pay attention to her. She didn’t seem happy that he didn’t include her notes in his objection. Something about it bothered her?
Jeremy Lyons (the PI) was there. Sitting in front of the Anthonys. He seemed eager to interject at times also. He had the dark blue mock turtleneck on sitting next to Mr. Bill Sheaffer and Kathy Belich. The gallery consensus that her as a DT witness is also going to get tossed. She didn’t have her boot on but was still limping some.
At every exchange of papers between the DT and SA there was some little quips of disrespect. These guys need to learn to play along or the trial is going to be 3 months. So…pop quiz….How long did it take you to notice that our handsome Mr. Ashton was missing the facial hair??? I kept thinking “what is different?” until it came to me. He looks good either way. Some woman there today went up to Linda and asked for an autograph. Ms. Burdick dispersed her with some indifference. It was weird. Like any lawyer is going to give a stranger basically a signature card. Really??? An autograph??? Whatever.
Well…that is my take on what you may not see on TV and the general ‘mood’ of the gallery. I’ll see if I can dig up something for all tomorrow.
PEACE
…Magpie
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Judge Recalls Black Widow's Death Sentence   Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:19 am

Casey Judge Recalls Black Widow's Death Sentence

Perry: 'She Was An Evil Woman'

POSTED: 5:21 pm EST March 2, 2011
UPDATED: 6:42 pm EST March 2, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Judge Belvin Perry is well known these days as the judge in the case against Casey Anthony, but it's not the first time his name has made headlines.

Perry prosecuted an Orange County wife and mother who was dubbed the "Black Widow."
Perry won a death sentence against Judy Buenoano and witnessed her execution. She was the first Florida woman in modern history to be executed.
Her husband, James Goodyear, was healthy when he returned from Vietnam in 1971. After his return, he started experiencing severe stomach distress and within weeks, he was dead.
Thirteen years later, Perry got a tip Goodyear was poisoned by his wife.
"She took her husband's life for insurance proceeds. And her appetite in terms of greed and the taking of human life did not stop there," Perry said.
Buenoano's next husband died mysteriously in Colorado. Then, she poisoned her son, Michael. When that only left him paralyzed, she drowned him in a staged canoe accident. When Buenoano moved to Pensacola, she tried to kill her new boyfriend with poison and then a car bomb.
Perry claims he'll never forget bringing the Black Widow back to Orlando for the death of her husband.
"It was just a feeling of coldness. I have never experienced it since or before. She was an evil woman," he said.
"Did it weigh on you how historic and unprecedented it was to seek the death of someone's mom, albeit that she left quite a trail in her wake?" asked WESH 2's Bob Kealing.
"No it did not, we approached this case as we did every case," Perry responded.

Buenoano's defense argued James Goodyear good have been exposed to Agent Orange.

Perry's team found a Pentagon expert to refute the claim.
Friends testified Buenoano actually encouraged them to do what she did.
"She even took the lady to the portion of the grocery store which contained rat poison and arsenic," Perry recalled.
On Halloween of 1985, jurors found the Black Widow guilty and recommended death by a wide marjority. Buenoano continued to proclaim innocence.
"I always thought why? Why did you single me out?" she later said on a television show.
The end came on March 30, 1998, when Buenoano was executed in an electric chair nicknamed Old Sparky. Perry was there.
"Throughout this saga she did not express one iota of remorse or regret. She was absolutely terrified and you could see the terror on her," Perry said.
Copyright 2011 by WESH.COM.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CASEY ANTHONY ~ MARCH ~ 2011   

Back to top Go down

CASEY ANTHONY ~ MARCH ~ 2011
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 11Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next