LOVE AND PROTECT ALL CHILDREN

A discussion of children, their welfare, well being and lives. We must protect them, they are our future.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

CASEY ANTHONY ~ NOVEMBER 2010 ~

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Prosecutors File Motion In Anthony Case   Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:13 pm

Prosecutors File Motion In Anthony Case

Motion Seeks Information On Defense Funds

POSTED: 11:59 am EST November 22, 2010
UPDATED: 2:31 pm EST November 22, 2010

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Prosecutors in the case against Casey Anthony have filed a motion to learn more about defense funds.

In a motion to compel additional discovery, prosecutor Jeff Ashton asked for a variety of information about the defense team's expert witnesses.
The motion asks for records of contracts and expected compensation, as well as bills that have been submitted and paid.
Read The Motion
Several expert witnesses for the defense are due to be deposed soon by prosecutors.
Anthony is expected to return to the courtroom on Nov. 29 for a status hearing.
During the hearing, the state's new motion is expected to be discussed.
Copyright 2010 by WESH.COM.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: State's Request Could Undermind Casey dEfense Experts   Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:22 pm

State's Request Could Undermine Casey Defense Experts

Prosecutors Wants To See How Experts Are Being Paid

POSTED: 5:15 pm EST November 22, 2010
UPDATED: 5:43 pm EST November 22, 2010

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Prosecutors in the case against Casey Anthony want to know more about how the defense team is spending money.

In a motion to compel additional discovery, prosecutor Jeff Ashton asked for a variety of information about the defense team's expert witnesses.
The motion asks for records of contracts and expected compensation, as well as bills that have been submitted and paid.
Read The Motion
"It's going to give them ammunition. It's also putting the defense and these witnesses on notice to be prepared to answer these questions," said Orlando criminal defense attorney Richard Hornsby, who is not affiliated with the case.
Hornsby said the information that the prosecution is requesting could help undermine an expert's credibility.
"If they're not getting paid a standard rate or they came into the case under questionable circumstances, then suddenly they're in the case for the exposure and any of their findings are suspect," said Hornsby.
The information could provide insight into how Anthony's money was spent before she was declared indigent.
Several expert witnesses for the defense are due to be deposed by prosecutors soon.
Anthony is expected to return to the courtroom on Nov. 29 for a status hearing.
During the hearing, the state's new motion is expected to be discussed.
Copyright 2010 by WESH.COM.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony looks more like Aileen Wuornos   Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:13 am

Casey Anthony looks more like Aileen Wuornos

Filed under Casey Anthony

Too funny when you see who she claims to look like: [according to her letters to her inmate buddy she says people think she looks like Alyssa Milano]

I am not aware of the resemblance, but I would bet that Alyssa Milano is pretty po’ed about it!

I believe Casey looks more like Aileen Wuornos. You remember her, she is named an American serial killer, and was put to death for 6 of the 7 murders she committed on 9 October 2002. Wikipedia

I believe Casey would be a serial killer had she not been caught for the murder of Caylee. I still believe George and Cindy were next on the hit list, especially since she was looking to move into the Anthony House with Amy. Gosh for all we know, Amy could have been after them. Cindy and George should be pretty darn happy that Casey was caught!
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Monday Packed For Casey's Defense Team   Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:12 pm

Monday Packed For Casey's Defense Team

Attorneys To Depose Officers, Attend Hearing

POSTED: 2:24 pm EST November 23, 2010
UPDATED: 2:36 pm EST November 23, 2010

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Monday is shaping up to be a busy day for Casey Anthony's defense team.
Anthony's attorneys have scheduled depositions for more than half a dozen officers from three law enforcement agencies -- the Orange and Osceola County Sheriff's Offices, as well as the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
In between the depositions, they are scheduled to attend a status hearing on the case.
A source told WESH 2 News that Judge Belvin Perry is expected to take up a new motion filed by prosecutors. The motion asks for records of financial agreements between Anthony's defense team and its expert witnesses.
The hearing is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. on Monday. WESH.com will stream the hearing live.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony's Thanksgiving Dinner Menu   Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:05 pm

According to the Orange County Jail....Casey has been handed her menu
for Thanksgiving dinner.

Oven Roasted Turkey
Seasoned Potatoes
Savory Bread Stuffing
Seasoned Mixed Vegetables
Turkey Gravy
Cranberry Sauce
Pumpkin Spice Cake
Bread and Butter
Juice

No 2nd portions will be given out.
She will have her meal alone in her cell and I suppose she should be thankful that she's not on Death Row.......at least for now.

Bon Appetite Casey
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony: What's coming at Monday Hearing?   Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:12 pm

Casey Anthony: What’s coming at Monday hearing?

Caylee and Casey Anthony, WFTV — posted by halboedeker on November, 26 2010 12:50 PM

Caylee Anthony, the victim.
The next status hearing in the Casey Anthony case starts at 1 p.m. Monday.

Anthony, who is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her daughter, Caylee Marie, will be there.

On Thanksgiving night, WFTV-Channel 9 provided a preview. WFTV’s Kathi Belich explained that prosecutors want to know how much the Anthony defense team spent on experts, such as Dr. Henry Lee, before Anthony was declared indigent.

“Prosecutors will ask Chief Judge Belvin Perry to compel Casey Anthony’s defense team to hand over their contracts with their experts; bills of payment; travel, meal and entertainment records; and photographs, communications and notes pertaining to the experts and their work on the case,” Belich said.

Belich, citing WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer, said such information is usually turned automatically over to the prosecution.

“There may be a reason why the defense does not want to make that known because of the amount of money that these experts have been charging,” Sheaffer told Belich.

A private investigator for the defense has billed taxpayers nearly $8,000 in September and October in part for looking for a hundred Texas EquuSearch volunteers, WFTV reported. But the prosecution has countered there are ”more like 10 people who might have relevant information” about the spot where Caylee’s remains were found, Belich said.

Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Caylee Anthony case: Defense's Motion to restrict publication of witnesses   Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:21 pm

Caylee Anthony case: Defense’s Motion to restrict publication of witnesses

Posted on November 26, 2010 by Valhall

The defense team (specifically Ann Finnell) for Casey Anthony filed a motion this week requesting they not be required to release (to the public) their list of witnesses for the penalty phase of the trial. In other words, if/when Casey Anthony is found guilty, the penalty phase will begin and the defense’s mitigation strategy to try to lessen the sentence for Casey will begin.

Part of that mitigation strategy will be testimony by “whomever” is willing to say something that shows someone was mean to Casey one time in her life and made her what she is today (more importantly was on July 16th, 2008). That’s really what it reduces to other than the option of bringing forward someone who would like to speak for what an awesome contribution to society she had been up until the dirty deed was done. With those two options before us, it’s kind of logical that the mitigation strategy will be to throw someone else under the bus by claiming they “made Casey what she is today”. It’s logical to assume that will be the strategy since trying to paint that picture is a lot easier than re-writing history and claiming she was what she wasn’t – i.e. a contributing member of society versus a sponge, deadbeat, lying, partying, promiscuous, drunk, thieving, parking-lot peeing, bad mom.

Now, I don’t really care whether the court tells them they can keep their mitigation phase witnesses secret or not. With what we’ve seen so far from this defense team it’s bound to be a jaw-dropping experience and so we might as well get the element of surprise along with it. But let’s look at Finnell’s argument in the motion about why they claim they are asking for this secrecy.

According to Finnell’s motion:

This case has received an extreme degree of media attention…

I can’t argue that, what with Casey’s lies, Casey’s mom and dad making sure they stayed in the news not only with sickeningly false interviews but tremendously bizarre behavior and claims, and the defense team taking no depositions for a year because they were too busy making the media circuit claiming “my client didn’t kill her kid” and “there’s just as much evidence Roy Kronk murdered Caylee as my client” (verbatim, no…close enough, heck yes). Since the case was publicized on Orlando local media until today, I have not seen the investigators giving interviews on national TV, nor have I seen the prosecutors in front of any microphone outside the courtroom. So, yeah, Ms. Finnell…you guys did a great job, and you’re part of the team now.

The intense media scrutiny of this case has resulted in the media and the public conducting their own independent investigations in the facts of this case as reflected in various general internet sites as well as internet blog sites and YouTube sites….

…To date witnesses in this case, especially defense witnesses, have already been subjected to intense media pressure and harassment by the media and the public at large.

And then she goes on to claim this has caused a chilling effect and all those hundreds of witnesses chomping at the bit to make Casey look good and show she’s innocent won’t crawl out of their holes because their skeered.

Uhhhh…hello? To date I know of only a handful of witnesses that have been “interviewed” by media, and to my knowledge none of those folks were stalked in order to get those interviews, nor were they drugged, hog-tied and forced to give those interviews. In fact, to date, I believe every one of the people involved in this case who have granted interviews (whether online or on TV) have done so a little bit more than willingly. The list is actually short: Cindy Anthony, George Anthony, Lee Anthony, KioMarie Cruz, Jesse Grund, and Richard Grund. Now, with the exception of the defense lawyers, Jose Baez, Andrea Lyon, Linda Kenney Baden, and Cheney Mason….I can’t think of anyone else who has given interviews. Can you?

But let’s just check the defense witness list and see if I’m wrong. Now first, we’re going to exclude anyone who is on the state witness list, because those who appear on the state witness list and also on the defense witness list were first on the state witness list because the defense wouldn’t make a witness list. In fact, their first pass at filing a defense witness list included the entire state witness list “by reference”. The state objected and the court did as well and the defense had to go back and actually list the witnesses on the state witness list they wanted on theirs. So we are going to look at witnesses exclusive to the defense witness list.

From Websleuths.com, on their thread for motions filed to date, the always helpful member muzikman, who lives in the Orlando area and has done an awesome job of going to the courthouse and obtaining documents after they are filed, has kept a list of witnesses for both sides: the defense’s witness list, and the state’s witness list. So in comparing these two list we come up with the following witnesses who are exclusive to the defense team:

Kevin Beary (former OCSO Sheriff)

Thomas Berning (one of the people who found the place where a measuring device had been buried by a government agency at the end of Suburban Drive)

Laura Buchanan (TES searcher who claims she was on Suburban Drive on September 3rd)

Susan Cecil (Roy Kronk’s sister)

Carlos Chirino (employed by Professional Investigation Resources Corp)

Kathleen Clark (inmate at Hernando Correction al Institute)

Lt. D. Driscoll (O.P.D.)

David Evans (Roy Kronk’s attorney)

Dr. Scott Fairgrieve (expert witness for defense)

Dr. Kenneth Furton (expert witness for defense)

Holly Gagne (friend of the Anthonys)

Gillis (Aviation pilot for O.P.D.)

Stacey Hansen (connection unknown)

Shimara Harris (connection unknown)

Paul Kelley (former attorney for Anthonys)

Jill Kerley (Roy Kronk ex-wife)

Jennifer Killins (lady who reported hearing screaming near Hidden Oaks elementary)

Patrick King (one of the people who found the place where a measuring device had been buried by a government agency at the end of Suburban Drive)

Dean Lavigne (connection unknown)

Dr. Henry Lee (expert witness for defense)

David Lohr (filmed TES searches for Investigation Discovery)

Robin Lunceford (inmate Lowell Correctional Facility)

Robert McCullough (aviation observer for O.P.D.)

Guillermo Medino (connection unknown but had same address as Carlos Chirino)

Officer Ed Michael (O.P.D.)

John Morris (connection unknown)

Angelo Nieves (OCSO)

Officer O’Day (O.P.D.)

Officer Faberile-Perez (O.P.D.)

Gale St. John (psychic searcher)

Tamra St. John (searcher with Gale ST. John)

John Samples (connection unknown)

Travis J. Sanders (psychic searcher with Gale)

Brandon Sparks (Roy Kronk’s son)

Crystal Sparks (Roy Kronk’s ex-wife)

Deputy Ron Stucker (OCSO)

Colleen Klocek (dog handler working with Gale St. John)

Bradley Wright (former roommate of Roy Kronk)

Uhhh….hmmm…shmack shmack, sigh. I may be mistaken, because I can’t watch all news at all times, but short of a possible Holly Gagne interview and then the recent questions by Kathi Belich as Laura Buchanan showed up for the second half of her deposition (those questions going unanswered by Laura but handled by her lawyer)…..I don’t even know who half these people are let alone remember seeing interviews, reporters stalking them, hearing they had to go into hiding because internet sleuthers were tracking them down and harassing them. Don’t you think we’d of heard about that by now?

Seriously?

Like I said, I don’t give a flying flip if the defense gets to keep their “who we’re going to throw under the bus to try to keep Casey from being executed strategy” secret or not. But for Pete’s sake….stop lying to the court. Not only that, but once again the defense proves its hypocrisy really does know no bounds. I don’t know of anyone (associated with the state of Florida, media or some uber-zealous internet site) that is cold-calling people with tenuous connections to this case except the defense team. Whose private investigator just billed the state of Florida for thousands of dollars for doing nothing but that…calling, harassing, and even allegedly tampering with TES searchers.

Maybe the state is the one that needs a witness protection program here.

Valhall.

Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: How Is Casey's Defense Team Spending Taxpayer Money?   Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:40 pm

How Is Casey's Defense Team Spending Taxpayer Money?

Updated: 6:24 pm EST November 25, 2010

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- WFTV read through 322 pages of financial documents Thursday, detailing exactly how Casey Anthony's defense team is spending Orange County taxpayer money. WFTV learned the defense is spending a lot on what prosecutors believe is a wild goose chase.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VIDEO REPORT: Taxpayer Money In Casey Case
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the documents, the defense spent thousands of tax money on talking to EquuSearch volunteers, many of whom they've apparently admitted behind the scenes that they didn't need to talk to.

Casey Anthony's defense team claims to have found 150 new EquuSearch witnesses who searched the exact area where Caylee Anthony's remains were found, months before that, and sent its private investigator, Jeremy Lyons, to talk to them.

He billed taxpayers almost $8,000 in September and October. After all that tax money was spent, prosecutor Linda Drane Brudick told the judge the number of new possible witnesses was greatly exaggerated publicly by the defense.

"When I asked Mr. Mason about that he told me he believed there would be 6 to10 individuals that may qualify as having relevant information,"

Defense expert Dr. Henry Lee has billed state taxpayers more than $8,000 for three days worth of work and travel from Connecticut. He claimed to be giving taxpayers a 50 percent discount and months ago, defense attorney Cheney Mason told a judge that Lee would be willing to work for oranges.

"He told me at a conference that Dr. Lee said he'd been willing to work for boxes of oranges," Mason said.

WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer said the defense is playing fast and loose with taxpayer money.

"They're not spending tax money wisely and using it for fishing expedition," Sheaffer said.

The defense also hired a court reporter service, which charges almost $1 more a page for transcripts than the state allows. That could've cost taxpayers hundreds more than it should have, but the Justice Administrative Commission, which monitors defense spending, caught it and turned down reimbursement at that rate.

Casey Anthony will be back in court on Monday. Prosecutors had to call for a hearing to get important information regarding defense experts.

The information includes how much the experts were paid.

The hearing is at 1:00pm Monday. Casey is not required to attend. Prosecutors will ask Chief Judge Belvin Perry to compel Casey Anthony's defense team to hand over their contracts with their experts, bills and payments, travel meal and entertainment records and photographs, communications and notes pertaining to the experts and their work on the case.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Defense: Time To Pull the Plug?   Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:55 am

Casey Defense: Time To Pull the Plug?

As each red herring has fluttered, sputtered, and died a quick death, Jose Baez and Cheney Mason have run out of ideas. The once proud self annointed "dream team" is a tattered and defeated has-been and never was, as the other brand name mercenaries have abandoned ship, leaving the last two without a life boat.

What remains is this:

There is no defense.

If there is a trial in May, Statement Analysis will follow each testimony carefully, though all that remains is for Baez and Mason to humble themselves and beg prosecutors for a plea bargain; with many experts holding that prosecutors will not offer a dead in lieu of all the tax payer dollars wasted by Baez and Mason; the former a homeless rolex wearer and the latter a hot air balloon of phoney machismo and bravado used to bullying his way, but not defeated by a girl on the playground.

There's nothing left but for these two to continue to embarass themselves on the national stage; a stage that continues to shrink as attention wanes.

From WESH.com

The latest moves by Casey Anthony's defense team show that lawyers are hoping to use science to raise reasonable doubt about who put Caylee Anthony's remains in the woods.

Anthony's defense team recently won the right to do out of state DNA testing on a pair of Caylee Anthony's shorts and a laundry bag found near her skeletal remains.

"You're seeing them trying to find the next red herring," said Orlando criminal defense attorney Richard Hornsby, who is not affiliated with the case.

If tests turn up foreign DNA on either item, the defense could make a stronger case that someone other than Anthony put her daughter's remains in the woods.

The defense's latest motion asks for Judge Belvin Perry to approve an expert witness on decaying and fossilized bones.

Signs of the scientific effort come as at least one of the defense's star witnesses loses her luster.

A year ago, Anthony's defense produced statements from Texas EquuSearch volunteers Laura Buchanan and Joe Jordan that indicated there was nothing in the area off of Suburban Drive where Caylee Anthony's remains were later found.

Jordan later told detectives that was not his claim, and a source with knowledge of Buchanan's recent sworn deposition said her statement has changed as well.

"The defense seems willing to rely on questionable witnesses and incredible people to try to save Anthony's life, and in the end it's only going to do her more harm than good," Hornsby said.

Note: What else could they have relied upon?

Think not only of Cheney Mason's video'd boasting of walking arm and arm with Casey Anthony in freedom, but recall the boasting by Andrea Lyon and Linda Kenny Baden. Having joined the defense to form a "dream team", they have sullied their own reputations in the folly that is the case of a mother who murdered her own child. Wealthy beyond wealth, as the money ran out, so did they, though Andrea Lyon was unable to bear with Casey Anthony, and both likely were unable to bear with the ignorance of Jose Baez.

Since the cow is now dry, what does the post-Casey world look like for Baez? Will he even retain his law license? Any telemundo deal that may have once looked like shining gold now appears like cheap painted costume jewelry.

What of the Anthonys? Will we see the long awaited criminal charges against them? Where is the justice for Caylee from the lies, washed evidence, switched hairbrush, and phony charity?

It'll come. Better late than never.

The source told WESH 2 News that a recent deposition of meter reader Roy Kronk's son, Brandon Sparks, was not helpful to defense efforts to paint Kronk as a potential suspect. Kronk discovered the remains in December 2008.

Rumors ablaze that Kronk's ex and son will be front page features on People Of Walmart dot com.
Anthony's trial is scheduled to begin in May.

A status hearing in the case will be held on Monday afternoon. Anthony is expected to be present.

We will cover the trial extensively here, and on The Peter Hyatt Show on Blogtalk radio.

Posted by Seamus O Riley at 5:57 AM
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony To Make Another Appearance In Court Monday   Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:09 pm

Casey Anthony To Make Another Appearance In Court Monday

There's going to be another status hearing Monday, November 29. The time of the hearing has been moved up to 1:00 P.M. Casey Anthony will be present because, aside from the status hearing, at least one motion will be heard.

Also, the following day, November 30, is an important day for the defense. They are due to turn over their witness list of expert witnesses as well as any reports they have generated. In advance of this date, Assistant State's Attorney Jeff Ashton has filed a Motion to Compel Discovery. Judge Belvin Perry will hear this motion at the hearing.

We are not strangers to Motions to Compel Discovery. Casey Anthony's former attorney, Linda Kenney-Baden filed one on August 20, 2009. After extensive searches, I can't find any active links to the document, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to peruse all 91 pages of it! She wanted everything and the kitchen sink. Jeff Ashton, who is the expert witness attorney for the case, spent a great deal of time working with Ms. Baden to provide her with every item that was discoverable, from bench notes to reports to the curricula vitae of the prosecution experts. One can even read some of their correspondence in the discovery documents. Indeed, many of us have spent hours pouring over the reports and documents released through the Sunshine Laws. Ashton's motion only takes up one page and a bit of a second page and is concise and to the point.

Pursuant to F.R.C. P. 3 220(d) and (f), Ashton asks for:

1. Any contracts or agreements, in any manner or form, setting for(sic) the scope of work or expected compensation.

I expect this section to be a stretch for the defense. Remember when the State asked for the contract between the defense and the Padilla crew? Baez turned over some papers which made very little sense and was asked by the judge to come back to court with the originals. I don't know whether Baez was ever able to do so. I also wonder if he even has agreements with some of his experts in writing. Consider Dr. Lee. I remember him announcing on Nancy Grace that he was doing the case pro bono. Was there a handshake on the deal? Did Lee insist on some sort of contract? If there is a contract, can Baez & Company even locate the original?

2. Any communications between the expert and any member of the defense team, either past or present, or any member of their staff, or any one working on behalf of the Defendant.

I can't wait to see these!

3. All records of bills submitted by or payments made to the expert.

Again, this will be a very touchy issue. Baez and Cheney Mason have been having a hard time keeping up with what time and money has been expended since Casey declared indingency. I am very sure Ashton wants to see every penny spent by and for these experts from the get-go. I would expect to see some strong arguments here from the defense.

4. All records pertaining to payments for travel, meals or entertainment paid to or for the benefit of the expert or anyone traveling with the expert, by and member of the defense team, either past or present, or any member of their staff, or any one working on behalf of the Defendant.

Again, this could prove difficult for the defense to produce. I keep imagining a pile of cardboard boxes piled in a dark corner of the Baez Law Firm office, filled to overflowing with receipts tossed in as they accrue. My advance apologies to the Baez Law Firm if this is not a fact. Perhaps I'm channeling my former life as a temporary office clerk during a summer vacation when I had to sort and organize bills and receipts for a lackadaisical paint company facing an audit...

5. Any notes taken by the expert or for the expert during, or referencing their examination of any evidence in this case.

The State has handed over many such documents and we have read them.

6. Any photograph or video taken by the expert in connection with this case.

This hearkens back to the hearing when Linda Drane Burdick was complaining about lack of discovery from the defense prior to depositions (such as Laura Buchanan's "mystery" document). She used the David Lohr situation as an example. Baez, inhigh dudgeon, rose to address the Court to state that he had indeed provided discovery. It turned out that he had attached the phone interview transcript with audio to his motion! Drane Burdick said that she had never received the audio.

When arguing for the Dutch DNA experts to be used Baez pointed out that he had attached the curriculum vitae to the motion. In his Order on the motion, Judge Perry noted that:

The defense states that his CV is attached to the Motion as Exhibit A, but there are no attachments to the Motion scanned by the Clerk of Court.

Ashton ends his motion by blocking any objections by the defense about privilege by asking that such items be submitted to the court for in camera inspection.

My friends all laugh at me because I am an eternal optimist. However, as these hearings have gone on, I've lost hope that just ONCE the defense team would come in with neat lists and straight answers. Even so, I do hope that the defense will come in, give their current status in a succinct manner, argue with reason their points on the motion and then fully comply with the judge's orders with all the information they have been required to turn over to the State... just call me a dreamer!

By the way, there are two other motions that have been filed by the defense since the State offered this one. At this point, we don't know if they will be heard on Monday. I'm in the process of doing my homework on them and will write more tomorrow!

In the meantime, I'll look forward to seeing you in court Monday!

Posted by ritanita at 8:25 AM
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony: What's coming at Monday Hearing?   Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:01 pm

Casey Anthony: What’s coming at Monday hearing?

Posted: 26 Nov 2010 09:50 AM PST

Caylee Anthony, the victim.
The next status hearing in the Casey Anthony case starts at 1 p.m. Monday.

Anthony, who is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her daughter, Caylee Marie, will be there.
On Thanksgiving night, WFTV-Channel 9 provided a preview. WFTV’s Kathi Belich explained that prosecutors want to know how much the Anthony defense team spent on experts, such as Dr. Henry Lee, before Anthony was declared indigent.
“Prosecutors will ask Chief Judge Belvin Perry to compel Casey Anthony’s defense team to hand over their contracts with their experts; bills of payment; travel, meal and entertainment records; and photographs, communications and notes pertaining to the experts and their work on the case,” Belich said.
Belich, citing WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer, said such information is usually turned automatically over to the prosecution.
“There may be a reason why the defense does not want to make that known because of the amount of money that these experts have been charging,” Sheaffer told Belich.
A private investigator for the defense has billed taxpayers nearly $8,000 in September and October in part for looking for a hundred Texas EquuSearch volunteers, WFTV reported. But the prosecution has countered there are ”more like 10 people who might have relevant information” about the spot where Caylee’s remains were found, Belich said.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony To Attend Hearing Today   Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:15 am

Casey Anthony To Attend Hearing Today

Watch Hearing Live On WESH.com

POSTED: 5:49 am EST November 29, 2010
UPDATED: 6:26 am EST November 29, 2010

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Casey Anthony is expected to attend a status hearing Monday at the Orange County Courthouse in Orlando.

Judge Belvin Perry will hear a new motion filed by prosecutors asking that defense experts be required to disclose their financial arrangements with Anthony's defense team.
The defense team wants to hire an expert who specializes in bones and fossilized remains. If the new expert is approved, he or she would be paid at taxpayers' expense.
Anthony's defense team recently won the right to do out of state DNA testing on a pair of Caylee Anthony's shorts and a laundry bag found near her skeletal remains.
Perry will also check with the two sides to see if Anthony's murder trial is on track to begin in May of next year.
WESH.com will stream the status hearing live at 1 p.m.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: How Is Casey's Defense Team Spending Taxpayer Money?   Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:22 am

How Is Casey's Defense Team Spending Taxpayer Money?

Posted: 4:32 pm EST November 25, 2010

Updated: 8:16 am EST November 29, 2010

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- WFTV read through 322 pages of financial documents Thursday, detailing exactly how Casey Anthony's defense team is spending Orange County taxpayer money. WFTV learned the defense is spending a lot on what prosecutors believe is a wild goose chase.

In the documents, the defense spent thousands of tax money on talking to EquuSearch volunteers, many of whom they've apparently admitted behind the scenes that they didn't need to talk to.

Casey Anthony's defense team claims to have found 150 new EquuSearch witnesses who searched the exact area where Caylee Anthony's remains were found, months before that, and sent its private investigator, Jeremy Lyons, to talk to them.

He billed taxpayers almost $8,000 in September and October. After all that tax money was spent, prosecutor Linda Drane Brudick told the judge the number of new possible witnesses was greatly exaggerated publicly by the defense.

"When I asked Mr. Mason about that he told me he believed there would be 6 to10 individuals that may qualify as having relevant information,"

Defense expert Dr. Henry Lee has billed state taxpayers more than $8,000 for three days worth of work and travel from Connecticut. He claimed to be giving taxpayers a 50 percent discount and months ago, defense attorney Cheney Mason told a judge that Lee would be willing to work for oranges.

"He told me at a conference that Dr. Lee said he'd been willing to work for boxes of oranges," Mason said.

WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer said the defense is playing fast and loose with taxpayer money.

"They're not spending tax money wisely and using it for fishing expedition," Sheaffer said.

The defense also hired a court reporter service, which charges almost $1 more a page for transcripts than the state allows. That could've cost taxpayers hundreds more than it should have, but the Justice Administrative Commission, which monitors defense spending, caught it and turned down reimbursement at that rate.

Casey Anthony will be back in court on Monday. Prosecutors had to call for a hearing to get important information regarding defense experts.

The information includes how much the experts were paid.

The hearing is at 1:00pm Monday. Casey is not required to attend. Prosecutors will ask Chief Judge Belvin Perry to compel Casey Anthony's defense team to hand over their contracts with their experts, bills and payments, travel meal and entertainment records and photographs, communications and notes pertaining to the experts and their work on the case.

**WFTV
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony: The Mitigation Witnesses And A Taphonomy Expert   Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:31 am

Casey Anthony: The Mitigation Witnesses And A Taphonomy Expert

According to what we have heard, the motion for discovery by Jeff Ashton is the only one to be discussed. However, two more motions have been filed. Just in case they come up, here's my take on them.

On November 23, attorney Ann Finnell filed the Defendant's Motion To Seal Penalty Phase Discovery Response. This motion comes after Judge Belvin Perry's Order denying the previous motion filed by Andrea Lyon on April 28, 2010. Lyon's motion, entitled Defendant's Motion for Protective Order with Respect to Penalty Phase Discovery, essentially stated that the defense wanted Perry to:

...enter an order protecting Miss Anthony from having to reveal any information relating to any potential penalty phase proceeding to the State prior to the time that she is actually convicted of First Degree Murder, should that event occur.

In a ten page memorandum of law, Ms. Lyon cited quite a bit of legal precedent and Casey Anthony's constitutional rights.

In sum, Rule. 3.220 does not require pretrial disclosure of penalty phase discovery. Extending Rule 3.220 to require penalty phase discovery before trial would raise serious constitutional questions, and the Florida Supreme Court has expressly declined to do so. To compel disclosure before trial would severely prejudice Miss Anthony's defense, violate her constitutional rights, and likely violate the witnesses' right to privacy under Article 1, section 23, of the Florida Constitution.

The defense argued Florida Rule of Criminal Procedure 3.220 does not require pre-trial disclosure of penalty phase discovery materials, so there should be no requirement to provide a list of mitigation witnesses prior to trial. The state argued the defense chose to participate in discovery, which triggered reciprocal obligations that include the sentencing phase of a capital trial... " (bold mine)

With this order denied, the judge did give the defense an "out" concerning the names of the witnesses.

2. If a particular witness will face public harassment, the defense may file a specific motion regarding that witness and the Court will consider a restriction on public disclosure of the name and address.

Surprisingly, in her motion, Ann Finnell chose to ask that all witness names and addresses be sealed from the public and the media. As we heard at the last hearing, she is having difficulty getting witnesses to speak to her. Apparently, Finnell believes that:

To date witnesses in this case, especially defense witnesses, have already been subjected to intense media pressure and harassment by the media and the public at large. This has resulted in a chilling effect with some witnesses becoming reluctant to come forward with information for fear of harassment and stalking. (bold mine)

Furthermore, Finnell also asks the judge, should he deny this motion,

...Defendant objects to any disclosure at this time and requests this Court delay disclosure of any kind until after the innocence/guilt phase of the trial. (bold mine)

Valhall, over at the Hinky Meter went to a great deal of effort to list all the defense witnesses who are not on the State's witness list. I have to agree with her that these people haven't exactly been featured in the media.

However, I know for sure that two of the defense witnesses, psychic Gale St. John and her daughter, Tamara have been harassed by the defense investigator, Jeremy Lyons. After speaking with Lyons once and essentially saying that she didn't have anything to offer, Lyons has called her constantly. HERE is a broadcast of Gale's that talks about the harassment and even plays the audio of one of his phone messages.

She then repeats the video of her "search" on Suburban Drive. If you watch carefully, you will see that Travis Sanders and the dog get sick just about where the remains were found. They then pull up further up the road and briefly walk the dog in the grassy area, a goodly distance away.

As for Travis Sanders, he's managed to escape the harassment by making himself totally unavailable somewhere in Northern California!

If Ms. Finnell knew more about harassment in this case, she would know that most, if not all the harassment, comes from the defense towards the State's witnesses. Think Roy Kronk, for one. Think all of the TES searchers who have been cold-called. I'm sure of you can come up with some more.

While I really don't care if the names are sealed or not, it does bother me that MSM and bloggers and posters on message boards are included in the harassment. We write what we see. While there are "haters" out there, there are many more of us who "call it as we see it".

As to Ms. Finnell's assertion that witnesses won't speak for fear of harassment, I really wonder if this is the ONLY reason. The defense cannot force mitigation-type witnesses to testify, it has to be voluntary. In this case, the mitigation witnesses will only be called for two reasons: to say how wonderful Casey is, such a good mother, good student, etc., and to bash Casey's upbringing by testifying about her parents, George and Cindy and the terrible values they taught their daughter.

People who would be unwilling to get up on the stand in court and do those things probably wouldn't want to talk to an investigator. They don't want to be involved, they don't want to be out there in public trash-talking family or friends. The defense can't force the issue.

Many years ago, early on in my teaching career, I was asked to be a mitigation witness for a student who had been in my homeroom for 10 minutes a day. It was a military murder trial and the officer spent the day at the school talking to all this man's former teachers. He came into my room at the end of the day, introduced himself to me, and asked me what I knew about "Pete". Unfortunately, I had nothing positive to say since my only experience with the then student had been dealing with his awful behavior, curses, and threats. The officer sighed and told me it hadn't been a good day for him.

I later learned from others that there was nobody who could credibly speak to any positive qualities they had observed in this future murderer. That was it, we never did hear what happened.

It will be interesting to see, should we get to a penalty phase, who volunteered to testify for Casey.

There is another motion floating out there in which the defense is asking for an expert in taphonomy. In the May 6 hearing setting the budget with the JAC, the following discussion took place. This is from my original article where I posted my notes and the dialogue is approximate:

Baez: Taphonomist. Taphonomy is the study of human decomposition.

Ashton: It’s not a recognized area of forensic science.

Baez: Ashton needs to Google it!

Bischoff: We need more information about this. Don’t they already have a forensic anthropologist?

Baez: I’ve labored hard over many hours to find the best experts for defense. Taphonomy IS a science.

Perry: Let me cut you short! We meed to have a Rogers hearing on this; file a motion and set a hearing pretty quickly. The expert can appear by video

Ashton: I need more information.

Perry: Provide (the State) with a CV of the particular witness. Have that witness appear by video conferencing, it can be done easily
In his Order, the judge denied the taphonomy expert without prejudice. He never seems to have followed Judge Perry's advice, and has now filed a new motion.

I'll write more about it when I can get my hands on a copy.

See you in court Monday!

**Trial & Tribulations
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Expected At Hearing On Case Finances   Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:39 am

Casey Expected At Hearing On Case Finances

Updated: 9:58 am EST November 29, 2010

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Casey Anthony is expected back in court on Monday. Prosecutors had to call for a hearing to get important information regarding defense experts; the information includes how much the experts were paid.

WATCH LIVE: Online Coverage Of 1:00pm Hearing

The hearing is at 1:00pm Monday. Casey is not required to attend, but is expected to be there.

Prosecutors will ask Chief Judge Belvin Perry to compel Casey Anthony's defense team to hand over their contracts with their experts, bills and payments, travel meal and entertainment records and photographs, communications and notes pertaining to the experts and their work on the case.

WFTV read through 322 pages of financial documents Thursday, detailing exactly how Casey Anthony's defense team is spending Orange County taxpayer money. WFTV learned the defense is spending a lot on what prosecutors believe is a wild goose chase.

**WFTV.com
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Caset In Court For Heariung On Finances, Information   Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:59 pm

Casey In Court For Hearing On Finances, Information

Updated: 1:37 pm EST November 29, 2010

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Casey Anthony was in court Monday afternoon for a hearing on finances and information the state wants the defense to provide. Prosecutors had to call for the hearing to get important information regarding defense experts; the information includes how much the experts were paid.

WATCH LIVE: 1:00pm Status Hearing
CASEY WALKS IN: See Images | Watch Video
IMAGES IN COURT: Casey, Attorneys, Family

Casey Anthony entered the courtroom exactly at 1:00pm wearing an orange, short-sleeve blouse and a pair of grey slacks (See Images | Watch Video). There was little to no exchange between her attorneys before the hearing immediately got underway.

Prosecutors started by asking Chief Judge Belvin Perry to compel Casey Anthony's defense team to hand over their contracts with their experts, bills and payments, travel, meal and entertainment records, and photographs, communications, and notes pertaining to the experts and their work on the case; the records go back before the defense ran out of money, after spending about $300,000.

"My first response to Mr. Ashton's motion ... there's nowhere in the rules that outline this particular type of discovery, at least some of it," Baez argued to Judge Belvin Perry on Monday afternoon. "There's nothing that entitles the state to this."

Soon after prosecutors filed their motion, the defense filed the exact same motion asking the exact same information pertaining to the state's experts and listed 34 prosecution experts.

"It should work both ways. It hasn't been working both ways," Baez argued about the information the state is seeking.

Judge Perry then pressed Baez on some of the areas of information the state is requesting, specifically records for travel, notes taken by experts, and photographs taken by experts.

"Other than work product, we'd be more than happy to turn it over to them," Baez said.

Judge Perry then pressed the prosecution on what qualifies the state to receive the information they have requested. While the prosecution argued their point, Judge Perry said they have other means for obtaining much of the information they are seeking.

"The discovery rules were never designed to eliminate attorneys doing things on their own they can obtain," Judge Perry instructed the prosecution. "As to the request dealing with one, two, three, and four, I would deny those without prejudice unless they cannot be obtained through their vehicle of deposition. As to five, six, I will grant that request."

Five and six refer to photographs and notes pertaining to the experts and their work. Judge Perry also ordered the defense to provide information to the state by Friday at 2:00pm on what experts will be testifying about, as well as the aforementioned photos and notes.

Judge Perry also ordered that the defense review of DNA evidence be completed within 45 days.

Meanwhile, the defense wants permission to hire another forensic scientist at taxpayers' expense. Casey Anthony's defense team said the state has two forensic experts that are analyzing the decomposition process to pinpoint Caylee Anthony's time of death and explain the placement of her remains in the woods near her home, so it wants two experts.

The defense is asking permission to hire a taphonomist, which is an expert in decomposition.

Monday's hearing was the second in two months that switched from a simple status conference to a motion hearing that required Casey's attendance.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony: Hearing denied and granted motions   Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:04 pm

Casey Anthony: Hearing denied and granted motions

Filed under Casey Anthony

Today Casey is wearing a fondu hair do, with an bright orange shirt

[note the fixed tooth]
Read the MOTION
Request 1-4 denied!
1. Any Contracts or agreements
2. Communication between experts and any member
3. All records of bills submitted
4. all payments of travel, meals, entrainment
5-6 Granted
5. Any notes taken by the expert during or referencing the evidence
6. Any photographs or video taken by the experts
Defense list subject matter as to what they will be testifying to in their area of expertise
2 weeks to provide information
DNA results must be given to the state and completed in 45 days.
Penalty phase deadline is due tomorrow. Finnell needs extra time. The Judge gave her until 01 January 2011 for mitigation experts. Finnell asked for a hearing on her motion to seal the penalty phase 50 witness list sounded like the 21st was set.
TES records. Defense will be required to give the state completed list of the witness by 31 December 2010.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey's team told to turn over notes and photos.   Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:49 pm

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/caylee-anthony/os-casey-anthony-court-hearing-20101129,0,7742313.story
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: New Witnesses May Indicate Casey Didn't Dump Body   Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:34 am

New Witnesses May Indicate Casey Didn't Dump Body

List Of Witnesses To Be Turned Over This Week

POSTED: 4:56 pm EST November 29, 2010
UPDATED: 6:21 pm EST November 29, 2010

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Casey Anthony's defense team said on Monday it has more than a dozen new witnesses that support the claim Anthony did not place her daughter's remains in the woods.

Defense attorneys said they have 15 to 20 people who searched the exact area where Caylee Anthony's remains were found but found no body.
In the past, Texas EquuSearch volunteers have given sworn statements saying that the area in question was under water and there was no way to figure out what was there.

Defense attorney Cheney Mason said the names of the witnesses will be given to Judge Belvin Perry on Friday.
For the first time on Monday, Anthony defense attorney Jose Baez acknowledged his team may put off a motion to introduce evidence that the man who found the remains, Roy Kronk, should have been considered a suspect in the case.
Perry warned Baez that he should make up his mind about the motion soon.
The judge also turned down the prosecution's request for the defense to turn over potentially sensitive records of financial arrangements with defense experts.
"If they want to know what each person is being paid, they can simply ask them," Baez said.
Perry said he will require the defense to turn over notes taken by the experts along with any photos and video they've taken. The defense will also be required to give prosecutors information about what field each of the experts will be addressing.
Anthony's mother, Cindy Anthony, was at Monday's hearing but was unable to address her daughter.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey's Defense Won't Have To Reveal Expert Costs   Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:40 am

Casey's Defense Won't Have To Reveal Expert Costs

Updated: 6:35 pm EST November 29, 2010

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Casey Anthony's defense team will not have to reveal how much it paid defense experts before Casey was declared broke and taxpayers were forced to pick up her tab.

At one point during Monday's hearing, Casey looked like she was having a good time in court, laughing with one of the defense staffers when the lawyers were up talking to the judge. At one point she even seemed to catch herself and put on a serious expression.

Casey Anthony was dressed in a peach-colored short-sleeved shirt and grey slacks (images | video). She walked into court unshackled.

CASEY WALKS IN: Images | Video
IN COURT: Casey, Attorneys, More
Prosecutors tried to convince Chief Judge Belvin Perry to force the defense to detail how much it paid its experts before its money ran out, and how much it paid for their travel, meals and entertainment.

Prosecutors started by asking Judge Perry to compel Casey Anthony's defense team to hand over information related to six things (read motion): their contracts with their experts; communication between experts and the defense team; bills submitted by or payments made to experts; travel, meal and entertainment records related to experts; notes taken by the experts or for the experts; and photographs or video taken by the experts. The records go back before the defense ran out of money, after spending about $300,000.

"My first response to Mr. Ashton's motion ... there's nowhere in the rules that outline this particular type of discovery, at least some of it," Baez argued to Judge Belvin Perry on Monday afternoon. "There's nothing that entitles the state to this."

Judge Perry then pressed Baez on some of the areas of information the state is requesting, specifically records for travel, notes taken by experts, and photographs taken by experts.

"As to any wining and dining going on, there's none of that, so there's nothing to turn over," Baez told Judge Perry. "Other than work product, we'd be more than happy to turn it over to them."

Judge Perry then pressed the prosecution on what qualifies the state to receive the information they have requested. While the prosecution argued their point, Judge Perry said they have other means for obtaining much of the information they are seeking.

"The discovery rules were never designed to eliminate attorneys doing things on their own they can obtain," Judge Perry instructed the prosecution. "As to the request dealing with one, two, three, and four, I would deny those without prejudice unless they cannot be obtained through their vehicle of deposition. As to five, six, I will grant that request."

The "five" and "six" Judge Perry referred to are the photographs and notes pertaining to the experts and their work. Judge Perry also ordered the defense to provide information to the state by Friday at 2:00pm on what experts will be testifying about, as well as the aforementioned photos and notes.

Still, the defense doesn't want to say publicly how much they paid their experts early on and the judge didn't make them. So WFTV reporter Kathi Belich asked.

"How much did you pay some of your experts before you ran out of money?" Belich asked Baez.

"Well, that's information that's between, those are clienty business dealings," Baez answered.

Prosecutors can ask the defense experts those questions when they're being questioned under oath, which means we might not find out until the trial when they're asked again on the witness stand.

It's a question that's asked so the jury can weigh the experts' opinion and whether they were in effect paid to render a certain opinion. WFTV has learned the defense spent almost $200,000 before taxpayers began picking up the tab for Casey's defense, after Baez was paid about $90,000.

"$200,000 is a lot of money to spend on a defense," WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer said.

Judge Perry also ordered that the defense review of DNA evidence be completed within 45 days. The defense will also be required to give the state a list of witnesses, as a result of the EquuSearch document review, by December 31 and any depositions of those witnesses must be completed by March 2011.

Judge Perry also said that death penalty witnesses will be sealed for now from public release.

Also Monday, the defense said its campaign to discredit former meter reader Roy Kronk, who found Caylee's remains, might have been "premature" and it might be backing off its court argument that Kronk should be investigated as a suspect in Caylee's murder.

Monday's hearing was the second in two months that switched from a simple status conference to a motion hearing that required Casey's attendance.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony: Did She Dump Caylee's Body?   Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:45 am

Casey Anthony: Did She Dump Caylee’s Body?

Posted November 29, 2010 by kreuzer33
Categories: Uncategorized
Tags: Caylee Anthony, Casey Anthony, Tot Mom, Missing Girl, Jose Baez, Cindy Anthony, Missing Child, Leonard Padilla, Texas Equusearch, George Anthony, Anthony Family, Todd Black, Lee Anthony, Caylee, Anthony Text Message, Anthony Trial, Tim Miller, Anthony Update, Caylee Update, Caylee Body Found, Anthony Body Found, Caylee Body, Cheney Mason, Anthony Text Messages, Brad Conway, Roy Kronk, Casey Anthony News, Caylee Anthony News, Belvin Perry, Judge Belvin Perry, Judge Perry

Maybe…or maybe not? Her defense team said today that it has more than a dozen new witnesses that support the claim that their client did not place her daughter’s remains in the woods.
What do you think?
From WESH:
Defense attorneys said they have 15 to 20 people who searched the exact area where Caylee Anthony’s remains were found but found no body.
In the past, Texas EquuSearch volunteers have given sworn statements saying that the area in question was under water and there was no way to figure out what was there.
Defense attorney Cheney Mason said the names of the witnesses will be given to Judge Belvin Perry on Friday.
Back to top Go down
Gator Girl

PostSubject: CASEY ANTHONY ~ NOVEMBER 2010 ~   Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:13 pm

BUMP
Back to top Go down
Gator Girl

PostSubject: CASEY ANTHONY ~ NOVEMBER ~ 2010   Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:00 am

BUMP
Back to top Go down
Gator Girl

PostSubject: Re: CASEY ANTHONY ~ NOVEMBER 2010 ~   Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:31 am

BUMP