LOVE AND PROTECT ALL CHILDREN

A discussion of children, their welfare, well being and lives. We must protect them, they are our future.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

THE TRIAL OF CASEY ANTHONY PART VI ~ THE AFTERMATH ~ NOVEMBER 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony: Jeff Ashton puts a fork in her; she's done   Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:53 am

Casey Anthony: Jeff Ashton puts a fork in her; she’s done
Caylee and Casey Anthony, George and Cindy Anthony, Jose Baez — posted by halboedeker on November, 15 2011 12:07 AM

Has Jeff Ashton made any hoped-for interview with Casey Anthony pointless?

In his book, ”Imperfect Justice,” former prosecutor Ashton supplies the sort of ah-ha moment that makes jaws drop in mysteries and legal dramas. He writes that Anthony, in interviews with two mental-health experts, accused her father of killing Caylee Anthony. The Sentinel reports on his book in today’s editions.

The prosecution scoffed at the accusation against George Anthony, and it never made it to trial. Yet the revelation in the book, which goes on sale today, gives another chilling insight into Anthony.

Is it possible that Anthony, often described as the most-hated person in America, could become more reviled? She comes off as the Bad Seed.

In July, Anthony was acquitted of murder in the death of her daughter. She has remained mostly hidden from view, and she is secretly serving a year’s probation for check fraud somewhere in Florida.

She would be wise to stay out of view once Ashton’s version of events becomes widely known. His take on the story has value, and he acknowledges a major failing: The prosecution couldn’t tell the jury exactly how the toddler died.

His book also means you should brace yourself for more interviews with other major figures in the Anthony saga.

I presume Ashton’s book will mean more interviews for George and Cindy Anthony, Casey’s parents. George Anthony should have a chance to answer Casey’s accusation. I’d like to know Cindy Anthony’s response to Ashton’s view that she and daughter Casey have a “lethally toxic co-dependent relationship.”

I’m sure we’ll hear from defense attorney Jose Baez, whom Ashton genuinely dislikes.

But I think Ashton rendered any Anthony interview worthless. “I have seen my share of liars, but never one quite like this,” Ashton writes of Anthony.

What good is interviewing a liar?

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Jeff Ashton reveals personal insights in the Casey Anthony trial   Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:31 am

Jeff Ashton reveals personal insights in the Casey Anthony trial

JEFF ASHTON -- Prosecutor and assistant state attorney for Orange and Osceola counties. Has practiced law for three decades.
By Adam Longo, Reporter
Last Updated: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 12:50 AM 0

var addthis_config = {"data_track_clickback":true};

The Case Against Casey

ORLANDO --
He didn't keep his emotions at bay in the Casey Anthony murder trial, and isn't holding them back now.

Retired Orange County prosecutor Jeff Ashton has a new book out Tuesday.

Not surprisingly, he rips Casey's defense team and talks about his role in the case.

News 13's Adam Longo poured through the 335 page book and offers up some of the highlights.

The book is called "Imperfect Justice, Prosecuting Casey Anthony".

Ashton doesn't hold back on his opinions of the people he came across in the course of the trial.

He calls the bounty hunter Leonard Padilla the "freeloading distant cousin" you can’t get rid of.

He refers to Cheney Mason as a sexist, and says of Casey's lead attorney, "I genuinely dislike Jose Baez."

Ashton said he was brought on board the prosecution team as "the case's resident science nerd" and his first job was convincing Oak Ridge Tennessee scientist Arpad Vass to testify.

The beginning third of the book is a rehash of the circumstances of the case with his thoughts sprinkled in here and there.

Ashton gets into December of 2008, when Caylee's remains were found, writes one of the most gripping and emotional passages. Ashton describes himself in Dr. G's office looking down on autopsy table at Caylee’s remains.

"I had seen adult skeletons many times," he wrote, "but this was my first time seeing a child’s. How could anyone just throw Caylee away like that with a laundry bag as her coffin? For a moment, I allowed myself to hate Casey Anthony.”

Shortly after that is when the death penalty was put back on the table.

He says he would have been happy if death wasn’t on the table, because he didn’t think a jury would ever go for it.

Other memorable parts include where he calls Tropical Storm Fay from August of 2008 a "guardian angel" that worked in Casey's favor.

He said the defense recusal request of Judge Stan Strickland was "the stupidest move anybody in the Florida legal community had ever heard of."

He wrote that Casey's defense at trial was "a complete crock of crap."

Finally, the book is dedicated to Caylee. Ashton said, "so no one forgets."

Ashton is set to appear on the Dr. Phil program on Wednesday, where a promotion says he'll talk more about the psychological reports done on Casey Anthony.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Jeff Ashton interview: 'Caylee did not die by accident'   Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:14 am

Jeff Ashton interview: 'Caylee did not die by accident'

By Anthony Colarossi, Orlando Sentinel
5:48 a.m. EST, November 15, 2011

Soon before her murder trial began, Casey Anthony told two mental health experts that not only had her daughter Caylee drowned in the family pool, but that her father deliberately killed the child, retired prosecutor Jeff Ashton writes in his new book released today.

Anthony also told the doctors she had been sexually abused by her father George and was worried about him molesting Caylee.

The two doctors never testified at trial — neither did Casey Anthony — but Ashton's book shows how the drowning and abuse claims, called the "Nuclear Lie," made it from Casey's mouth to her attorney Jose Baez's opening statementto the jurors.

The prosecution, Ashton explains in the revealing book Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony, never bought the latest iteration of Anthony's story, dubbing it "Casey 4.0" – the fourth version of what she claimed happened to her daughter.

"I've written a book to let people know the truth about the case from my perspective," Ashton told the Orlando Sentinel in a phone interview from New York Monday. Even without a cast of characters like Jose Baez and Cheney Mason, he said, Casey Anthony's case was fascinating from forensic and investigative perspectives.

The ever changing nature of Casey's stories explain why Ashton wrote early on: "I have seen my share of liars, but never one quite like this." Near the end of thebook, he observes, "In many ways, I think the defense came to mirror the client they represented."

The book is undeniably Ashton-esque — relentless, scathing and blunt in its criticism of Casey Anthony, her defense team, the Anthony family and the jury that found the young woman not-guilty in the 2008 death of her daughter.

Ashton's 322-page book goes on sale today for $26.99.

Quoting almost directly from his book, Ashton said, "This jury felt it was reasonable to respond to a child drowning by placing duct tape over her mouth and throwing her in a swamp. Is it reasonable to believe that would happen? I disagree."

Here are some choice details from the text:

When Baez first announced the defense would focus on an accidental drowning, Ashton said he was "dumbfounded." And after Baez told him they were going to implicate George Anthony, Ashton said, "Just bring it on…I can't wait to cross-examine Casey."

•In late June, during the trial, defense attorney Cheney Mason approached prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick about a plea deal — a guilty plea to second-degree murder and 30 years in prison. But Casey Anthony refused to even listen to this idea.

While Ashton thought the prosecution could legally pursue the death penalty against Casey Anthony "in good faith," he did not find it necessary in the case and never thought they would actually win a death sentence.

•In a book largely spent questioning the defense team's tactics, Ashton acknowledges, "I genuinely dislike Jose Baez." He calls Anthony's lead defense attorney, "smarmy" and a "consummate salesman" with "unearned arrogance."

On Monday, Ashton said, "Most attorneys would find many of the things we talk about in the book to be ethically objectionable," and he suggested the text could lead to more formal ethics inquiries.

In writing about Casey Anthony defense attorney Cheney Mason, Ashton wrote that he hoped his late joining of the defense team "would class up the defense team's tactics" and raise Baez to Mason's level of professionalism. Instead, he wrote, "Baez seemed to bring Cheney down to his."

State's case 'incredibly strong'

Ashton recalls in the book how he was recruited by colleague Linda Drane Burdick to join the case in the summer of 2008. On Monday, he said he had ticked off political types in the State Attorney's Office and felt his "skills were not being fully utilized."

He eagerly joined Burdick's team, took over scientific aspects that he found rewarding and challenging and came to believe the state had an "incredibly strong" case. Hesaw the duct tape discovered with Caylee's remains and other evidence tying the recovery scene to the Anthony home — along with scientific evidence of decomposition in Casey's car — as chief elements proving it was a murder.

Ashton said he was"stunned" and numb upon hearing the jury had not convicted Casey Anthony of murder or manslaughter in early July.

Late in the book, Ashton wrote that Baez did one of the cruelest things he had ever seen a lawyer do by telling Cindy Anthony about her daughter's claims regarding George Anthony and suggesting her husband was under investigation. Ashton wrote that he told their attorney, "That's a [expletive] lie."

Ashton said Monday that his retelling of the accounts Casey Anthony gave the mental health experts "is based on my recollection and my notes," as their depositions have been sealed.

"Casey agrees with us," Ashton told the Sentinel. "Caylee did not die by accident."

But they did not agree about who was responsible.

One of Casey Anthony'smental health experts, Dr. Jeffrey Danziger, was very concerned about sharing what Casey had told him about her father, worried he was becoming a mouthpiece for "very, very serious allegations against someone in a situation where there is no other evidence he actually did anything."

Casey later told another defense expert, Dr. William Weitz, that she was concerned George might be Caylee's father until DNA testing by the FBI ruled that out. Casey told Weitz "Caylee could not have died by accident and that George had murdered her," Ashton wrote in the book.

When the prosecution wanted Casey interviewed by its mental health expert, the defense pulled their two experts from their witness list, meaning Danziger and Weitz would not testify at trial. Ashton claims Baez had wanted those two "to get Casey's story in front of the jury without having Casey actually testify."

The depositions of those experts were sealed because they were "too sensational" Ashton wrote. "Until now their contents have never been discussed publicly."

The prosecution detailed the depositions for George and Cindy out of a sense of "moral obligation," and George told them "none of this is true," the book states.

If Cindy Anthony had chosen Caylee over Casey, Ashton said, the prosecution might have been able to make a better case that Casey was a bad parent and had a motive to kill her daughter. Cindy Anthony "was in denial about her daughter on a colossal scale." Ashton called her and Casey's a "lethally toxic co-dependent relationship."

On Monday he called Cindy's denial "very significant" in its impact on the state's case. He acknowledged that her reluctance to explain a volatile relationship with her daughter before Caylee's death "might have involved some feelings of guilt on her part."

"Cindy believed in Casey no matter what the evidence was," Ashton said Monday.

In the end, Ashton wrote, the verdict reflected the work of a jury that didn't believe Casey Anthony deserved to be punished at all.

"What I find truly baffling is that somehow they did not see proof enough to convict her of a lesser murder charge or even manslaughter," Ashton wrote. The biggest legacy of the case won't be that she failed to be convicted of first-degree murder, but that "she got away scot-free," he said.

"My worst fears from jury selection manifested themselves in the verdict," Ashton wrote. "This jury needed someone to tell them exactly how Caylee died.

"In a sense," he wrote, "we lost before we started."
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Jeff Ashton's book: Casey made up 'nuclear lie' about Caylee's death   Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:34 am

Jeff Ashton's book: Casey made up 'nuclear lie' about Caylee's death

Story posted 2011.11.15 at 12:20 AM EST

Prosecutor Jeff Ashton calls Casey Anthony's accusation that her father George began molesting her when she was eight years old, then eventually started raping her, "the nuclear lie."

But what we haven't heard is what Ashton calls the much more alarming allegation he said she created around that lie -- that George had deliberately drowned Caylee while he was molesting her in the backyard pool.

Ashton wrote in his newly-released book, “Imperfect Justice,” that Casey told Dr. Jeffrey Danziger, a local psychiatrist, that "she did not believe that Caylee drowned by accident. She did not believe that Caylee could have gotten into the pool on her own, because she couldn't have gotten the ladder up.”

Ashton went on to write, “Casey believed that her father drowned Caylee deliberately or drowned her while he was molesting her, even though she had no evidence that George had ever molested Caylee in the past," and even though shortly after her arrest, she told Dr. Danziger that she had never been sexually abused, Ashton wrote.

In his book, Ashton wrote that Casey also accused George of murdering Caylee sometime after pulling her out of the pool, that Caylee might still have been alive, because during the next 31 days, George told her Caylee was OK.

Ashton wrote that Casey told Dr. William Weitz, of south Florida, that during those 31 days, "she was in a fog. She did not have a clear recollection of what she did or why she did it. She did tell him that she was not a 'party girl.' In explaining the ‘Bella Vita’ tattoo, she said it was an ironic comment on the fact that her life hadn't been beautiful."

She also changed her story to Dr. Weitz, Ashton wrote, saying her father George had molested her into her "late teens, which was longer than in her other account. She also said she had been concerned that George might be Caylee's father until the DNA test done by the FBI ruled out that possibility."

She also told Dr. Weitz that she had Caylee sleep with her to protect Caylee from George, and that when she went to sleep the night before her disappearance, she was wearing a nightgown, but that when George had pulled Caylee out of the pool, she was wearing striped shorts and a pink shirt.

"She explained in great detail that George's upper body was wet but that his lower body was not. The doctor took that as an indication that George held Caylee underwater while he himself was outside the pool," Ashton wrote.

The defense, which Ashton wrote had first told prosecutors it was Casey who found Caylee in the pool, not George, rejected Casey's claim that George murdered Caylee, and argued the exact opposite during its opening statement:

“We are not, nor will we ever say that George Anthony killed Caylee or that he had something to do with her death and the reason's simple: It's not true. It was an accident,” defense attorney Jose Baez said.

Instead, the defense claimed Caylee drowned accidentally and George covered it up to avoid blame.

WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer said the defense used its legal latitude in settling on a more believable story.

“The defense certainly was smart enough to recognize that dog ain't gonna hunt. We're not selling that to the jury,” Sheaffer said.

The jury apparently bought some of that so-called "nuclear lie," and acquitted Casey of murdering her daughter Caylee.

Story posted 2011.11.15 at 12:20 AM EST
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: 'Ignore Casey Anthony,' urges her former prosecutor   Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:00 pm

'Ignore Casey Anthony,' urges her former prosecutor

Attorney Jeff Ashton told TODAY he hopes Anthony will fade into obscurity

Video: 'Ignore Casey Anthony,' urges ex-prosecutor

By Michael Inbar TODAY.com contributor

updated 11/15/2011 9:42:17 AM ET 2011-11-15T14:42:17

Found not guilty of murdering her daughter Caylee, Casey Anthony now serves out a year’s probation on an unrelated charge in Florida. But an Anthony prosecutor who remains convinced of her guilt says in a perfect world, Anthony’s real sentence will be fading into obscurity.

Speaking with Matt Lauer on TODAY Tuesday, retired prosecutor Jeff Ashton said his wish is for the public to turn a blind eye to the woman front in center in what was called “The Trial of the Century.”

“You know, there’s justice in the court, and then there’s a larger sense of justice,” Ashton told Lauer. “I would hope that people leave Casey Anthony alone; I don’t want anyone to do anything to Casey or to have anything to do with her.

“My advice to people who are angry about (her acquittal) is to ignore Casey, and I hope that’s what they do. I hope that someday — and I know this probably won’t happen — that Casey Anthony will invoke a “who’s that?’"
Story: The man who tried to convict Casey Anthony tells his story
The former Florida assistant state attorney Ashton talked to Lauer about his new book “Imperfect Justice,” out in bookstores today, in which he gives a prosecutor’s perspective on the case, and minces no words in blasting Anthony and her defense team. In the book, he calls the defense’s trial arguments “a complete crock of crap” and said he believes Anthony blatantly lied in telling psychiatrists that her father George had molested her and that he had killed Caylee by drowning her.

Anthony was found not guilty of murder, aggravated child abuse and manslaughter July 5 at the close of a sensational, six-week trial that saw more than 100 witnesses — but never Anthony herself — take the stand. The verdict came some 1,085 days after Casey’s mother Cindy called 911 to report her nearly 3-year-old granddaughter Caylee missing in July 2008.

While jurors, who deliberated just 11 hours before returning the not guilty verdict, have said the prosecution failed to build a compelling case on exactly how Caylee Anthony died, Ashton told TODAY he believes he and his fellow prosecutors “excluded everything but homicide.”
Video: 'Ignore Casey Anthony,' urges ex-prosecutor (on this page)
“We couldn’t provide the jury with clear evidence on a silver platter of exactly how Caylee died,” he said. “Really, the burden of proof on the state isn’t necessarily to prove exactly how the homicide was committed but simply that it was committed.”

Ashton said he would have relished having Anthony take the stand and having the opportunity to ask her about the “Bella Vita” tattoo she had inked on her shoulder only weeks after she said Caylee had gone missing. “Bella Vita” means “beautiful life” in Italian.

“I think if I only had one (question), it would be, ‘What does Bella Vita mean to you?’ “Ashton said. “One of the great issues that was never explained and to me, (and) was the clearest expression of the reason for the murder, was the tattoo.

Casey Anthony prosecutor Jeff Ashton told TODAY he would like to hear Anthony explain this shoulder tattoo, which means "Beautiful Life." She got it weeks after she said her daughter disappeared.

“You know, your daughter is missing or dead for three weeks and you get a tattoo that says Bella Vita? I would love to hear the explanation for that.”
Story: Retired prosecutor calls Casey Anthony attorney 'smarmy'
In his 322-page book, Ashton writes that late in the trial, Anthony’s attorneys approached the prosecution about a plea deal, and they, believing the jury would not convict Anthony on a death penalty, offered two options: A second degree murder plea without allocution into how Caylee actually died, or a possible manslaughter charge with Anthony fully coming clean on what she knew. While her lawyers approached Anthony about pleading guilty to a lesser charge, she refused to even listen to a deal.

In his interview with Lauer, Ashton said he has largely come to terms with the not guilty verdict, even while he remains convinced of Anthony’s guilt. He conceded that “there (are) some small things…that I wish we had done differently,” but “the jury decided that there was reasonable doubt. Obviously, I don’t agree, but that was their decision.”
Story: Anthony jurors lay low after names released
In his book, Ashton directs most of his vitriol toward Anthony’s defense team, calling Anthony a liar and saying “in many ways, I think the defense came to mirror the client they represented.”

Of Anthony’s attorney Jose Baez, Ashton writes, “There is an unearned air of arrogance about the man that is incredibly frustrating to witness. The word I used in describing Jose is smarmy; somebody who is slick, underhanded and doesn’t shoot straight.”

He also writes he hoped attorney Cheney Mason being later added to Anthony’s defense team “would class up the defense team tactics,” but instead, “Baez seemed to bring Cheney down to his (level).”

In a statement published by the London Daily Mail, Baez responded to Ashton’s characterization of him, saying, “I am both surprised and somewhat disappointed he has chosen to attack me on a personal level
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony: Jeff Ashton asks, What's with the tattoo?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:07 pm

Casey Anthony: Jeff Ashton asks, What’s with the tattoo?
Caylee and Casey Anthony, Dr. Phil, Fox News Channel, HLN, Joy Behar, NBC, Today — posted by halboedeker on November, 15 2011 9:40 AM

Casey Anthony's Bella Vita tattoo.

What one question would former prosecutor Jeff Ashton most like to ask Casey Anthony?

Matt Lauer posed the question this morning on NBC’s “Today. “What does Bella Vita mean to you?” Ashton replied. “One of the great issues that was never explained and, to me, was the clearest expression of the reason for this murder was the tattoo. Your daughter is missing or dead for three weeks, and you get a tattoo that says Bella Vita. I would love to hear the explanation of that.”

Anthony was acquitted in July of murder in the 2008 death of her daughter, Caylee. She is in hiding.

“I would hope that people leave Casey Anthony alone,” Ashton told “Today,” repeating a message he has sent before. “I don’t want anyone to do anything to Casey or have anything to do with her. My advice to people who are angry about this is to ignore Casey.”

Ashton is out promoting his book, “Imperfect Justice.” ”Today” was the first stop. Ashton will be on “Issues With Jane Velez-Mitchell” and “The Joy Behar Show” on HLN later today. He stops by “Fox & Friends” and “Dr. Phil” on Wednesday.

Ashton also said there were two aspects to a possible plea deal that he reveals in the book: Anthony could plead to second-degree murder and receive 30 years in prison. The other offer was she could plead to aggravated manslaughter “if the truth about how Caylee died justified that offense,” he said. But Anthony wouldn’t consider a plea, Ashton writes.

After hearing jurors’ interviews, Ashton said he doesn’t think there’s anything the prosecution could have done differently to win a conviction. “It seems like to them it was simply the evidence that we had,” Ashton said.

Ashton said the judge’s instructions gave the jury a lot of latitude to reach a verdict. “This jury decided there were reasonable doubts. Obviously, I don’t agree,” Ashton said. “We couldn’t provide clear evidence on a silver platter of exactly how Caylee died. What we felt had done was to have excluded everything but homicide.”

NBC’s Kerry Sanders said no jurors were commenting on Ashton’s statements.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Legal Experts Share Thoughts On Ashton Book   Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:56 pm

Legal Experts Share Thoughts On Ashton Book[

Jeff Deen Believes Ashton Pandering To Community Outrage

POSTED: 3:25 pm EST November 15, 2011
UPDATED: 5:41 pm EST November 15, 2011

ORLANDO, Fla. -- [/b]Some legal experts offered sharp criticism Tuesday over some of the information in former prosecutor Jeff Ashton's book about the Casey Anthony trial.

Throughout "Imperfect Justice," Ashton paints a portrait of a sometimes psychotic Casey Anthony, a smarmy lead attorney in Jose Baez and a shockingly disinterested jury that didn't believe Anthony should be punished at all.

"We couldn't provide the jury with sort of clear evidence on a silver platter of exactly how Caylee died. What we thought we had done though was to exclude everything but homicide," Ashton wrote.

"I just think he's pandering to this community's outrage over a verdict," defense attorney Jeff Deen said.

Deen said Ashton is wrong to blame the jury after the state failed to show how, when and where the victim, Caylee Anthony, was killed.

Deen also questioned a key statement in the book made by Ashton.

"I think I would have been happier if the death penalty had not been reintroduced into the case … even though I think on some level Casey may have deserved it," Ashton wrote.

In Deen's view, Ashton simply used the death penalty as a wedge to try to get Anthony to plead guilty to a crime the prosecution couldn't prove.

"People want the death penalty. I think there is a place for it, but when it is used as a tactic like this, that's the problem," Deen said.

Ashton potentially pushes legal limits with information about George and Cindy Anthony. He recalls that Casey Anthony told two psychologists -- whose testimony remains sealed -- that she was molested by her father as a child, and that her father may have killed Caylee.

"Obviously, the want to see what is said about them," Anthony family attorney Mark Lippman said. "If a response is necessary, they will certainly make one."

Baez released a statement Tuesday evening on Ashton's book.

"Having read several of the comments Mr. Ashton makes in his new book, I am both surprised and somewhat disappointed he has chosen to attack me on a personal level. Without going into specific detail, I will say only that many of his accusations are absolutely false. I take my responsibilities to the court very seriously, and I have been careful to always conduct myself in a professional manner. This was an extraordinarily complicated case, and so much of what happened behind the scenes has not yet been made public. When I decide to tell my story, you can be certain I will not be personally attacking Mr. Ashton," Baez said in a statement.

Casey Anthony remains on probation and faces a bill of more than $200,000 to reimburse Florida taxpayers for the cost of the search for Caylee Anthony.

Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Today's Buzz: Will you buy Jeff Ashton's Casey Book?   Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:08 pm

Today's Buzz: Will you buy Jeff Ashton's Casey book?

Vote in Today's Buzz.

What do you think?

Will you buy the new book from Jeff Ashton, the prosecutor in the Casey Anthony trial?

• Yes. Ashton's book is the first insider's account of one of the most dramatic murder trials ever. I'll be buying it, and reading it, for sure.
  • No. Ashton has too many self-serving motives for his book, like making a quick buck and defending his performance in case he runs for prosecutor. I'll wait for a book from a more objective observer.
  • Yes. Just the bombshells in this book, including Ashton's doubts about pursuing the death penalty and a possible plea deal that Casey's lawyers wanted but she rejected, make it worth buying.
  • No. I'm sick of reading about the Casey Anthony case. Why would I pay $26.99 for a whole book about it? Casey was acquitted. Can we move on now?

Incorrect please try again
Enter the words above: Enter the numbers you hear:

Orlando Sentinel Editorial Board
November 16, 2011

Jeff Ashton, one of the prosecutors in the Casey Anthony trial, released a book this week about the case. Ashton said he wanted the public to know the truth about the case from his perspective. The book includes some revelations: Ashton writes, for example, that one of Casey's lawyers explored a plea deal that would have had her plead guilty to second degree murder and accept a 30-year sentence. Ashton is quite critical of Casey's lawyers; some might accuse him of sour grapes. Do you trust his account to be credible? Does the fact that he and fellow prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick lost the case make you less inclined to buy the book, or does that matter? Talk about it!

Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony: Jeff Ashton book could become Lifetime movie   Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:09 pm

Casey Anthony: Jeff Ashton book could become Lifetime movie
Caylee and Casey Anthony, Lifetime — posted by halboedeker on November, 15 2011 4:26 PM

Prosecutor Jeff Ashton leaves the courtroom after Casey Anthony was acquitted. Photo credit: Joe Burbank/Orlando Sentinel

Could author Jeff Ashton have inspired a Casey Anthony movie?

Perhaps. Fox Television Studios has optioned the rights to Ashton’s “Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony.”

“If there is a movie, it will be at Lifetime,” said Fox spokeswoman Leslie Oren. “It’s only in development.”

No movie is guaranteed, but getting the rights is a first step. Oren said the studio also wanted to announce optioning the rights as Ashton promotes his book, which went on sale today.

Lifetime also stressed that the movie is just in development.

But the names attached to the project suggest that “Imperfect Justice” has a good shot at making it to film. The script will be written by Emmy winner Alison Cross (“Roe vs. Wade”). She will be an executive producer with Jean Abounader, who has made many TV movies, and Michelle Manning (“16 Candles”).
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Have your Casey Anthony question ansered by prosecutor Jeff Ashton   Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:13 pm

Have your Casey Anthony question answered by prosecutor Jeff Ashton

Asst. State Attorney Jeff Ashton questions a potential juror during jury selection for the Casey Anthony trial at the Pinellas County Criminal Justice Center, Monday, May 16, 2011.

Last Updated: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:07 PM 0

ORLANDO --
Casey Anthony prosecutor Jeff Ashton is scheduled for a sit-down interview via satellite with News 13's Adam Longo Wednesday morning.

Ashton said he will answer questions about the case and his new book.

We want to give YOU the opportunity to ask Ashton a question.

Comment below and Adam may choose your question to ask in his interview.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Prosecutor Asks Us To Ignore Casey Anthony While Hawking His Book About the Casey Anthony Case   Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:10 am

Prosecutor Asks Us To Ignore Casey Anthony While Hawking His Book About the Casey Anthony Case

By Candace Dempsey

| Posted Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2011, at 6:41 PM ET

Anytime I’m asked not to look at the elephant in the room, I’m unable to look at anything else. That includes Casey Anthony, the young Florida mother who supposedly got away with killing her 2-year-old daughter Caylee, after a controversial acquittal on murder charges in Orlando last summer.

Imagine my shock when ex-prosecutor Jeff Ashton, while flogging a Casey book on the Today Show this morning, asked the world to forget the notorious femme fatale.

Yes, the man famous for clutching a plastic bottle during numbing closing arguments, wrote a book that is not about Casey but is called Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony.” That is like penning a book about Double Indemnity and asking us to block out Barbara Stanwyck and think about the guy who played the insurance adjuster.

“My advice to people who are angry about (her acquittal) is to ignore Casey, and I hope that’s what they do,” Ashton told Matt Lauer, who wanted the inside story on what the book calls “the trial that stunned America, the verdict that shocked us all.”

Instead, the prosecutor hoped “that someday — and I know this probably won’t happen soon— that Casey Anthony will invoke a “who’s that?’"

Well, not if people keep writing books about her. Or if Lifetime, as is rumored, does a movie based on Ashton's book.

Ashton carries a big-time grudge against Anthony. He’s sure he could have convicted her if only he could have questioned her about a “Bella Vita” tattoo (as if the pathological liar couldn’t have come up with a colorful whopper about that). Instead, he had to combat a fragile-looking young woman who refused to take the stand, who cried copiously on cue, who had half a dozen imaginary friends, who looked great with her hair scraped back and makeup scrubbed off, clad in demure little white blouses and baggy pants.

When Ashton describes her stony demeanor during plea-bargaining sessions, he sounds like a man defeated in a chess game he didn’t think his opponent was smart enough to play.

He might take advice from Nancy Grace, the infamous crime scold, once obsessed with Casey. After the acquittal, Grace popped up on Dancing With the Stars. Now she’s back on the crime beat with a new “tot mom,” Seattle’s Julia Biryukova, an Eastern European blonde who’s misplaced an adorable little boy.

Ironically, I thought about Casey today only because Ashton brought her up. Even he admits she’s living quietly in Florida, working off probation on an unrelated charge.

The truth is that we’ll forget Casey Anthony long before he does.

Candace Dempsey is a journalist, travel writer, and seattlepi.com blogger. Murder in Italy, her award-winning book about the Amanda Knox case, is now out with new facts and updates in the wake of Knox’s acquittal.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: George and Cindy Anthon y read Jeff Ashton's new book   Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:59 am

George and Cindy Anthony read Jeff Ashton's new book

George and Cindy Anthony do not begrudge Jeff Ashton for writing his opinions on prosecuting their daughter, Casey, in a book, according to their attorney. By Adam Longo, Reporter

Last Updated: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:43 AM

ORLANDO --
Shortly before Casey Anthony went on trial for murder, attorney Mark Lippman was the one who broke the news to her parents, George and Cindy, that their daughter was going to blame George for Caylee's death.

Lippman called it the hardest thing for him to stomach.

Former prosecutor Jeff Ashton said when he saw George's reaction to the news, it looked like he had been beaten up.

Ashton's book on the trial, "Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony," hit shelves Tuesday, and reveals a new side to the case against Casey never made public before.

———————————————

In Depth: Jeff Ashton gets personal in new book
ASK THE AUTHOR: Find out how to have your question answered by Jeff Ashton!
———————————————

The story they thought they were hear in court was that Casey was going to accuse her father of murdering Caylee, himself.

But no one else has heard that story until now.

Lippman said George and Cindy Anthony don't begrudge Ashton for writing the book. They said don't have a problem with it, and that Ashton is entitled to his opinions.

If the Anthonys see anything incorrect, Lippman said they will come out and correct it.

As for their communication with Casey, who remains on probation in an unknown location, Lippman said there has been none. Zero.

Lippman said he's been told Casey wants nothing to do with her father, and she has not spoken with either George or Cindy since her release from jail in July.

Meanwhile, Ashton has begun been making the rounds on TV.

Appearing on HLN with Jane Velez Mitchell, he discussed when he first learned about Casey telling a psychiatrist that she believed George had drowned Caylee while he was molesting her.

No evidence supporting that was ever revealed.

Ashton has also revealed that defense attorney Cheney Mason wanted to discuss a plea deal with Casey.

But according to Ashton, when her lawyers tried to bring it up, Casey had absolutely no response, leading Mason to ask the court for a competency hearing, because he couldn't seem to get through to her.

Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Ethical, legal questions linger about defense's opening statement in Casey Anthony trial   Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:21 am

Ethical, legal questions linger about defense's opening statement in Casey Anthony trial

• By Anthony Colarossi, Orlando Sentinel
  • TCPalm
  • Posted November 14, 2011 at 3:18 p.m.
The opening statement defense attorney José Baez delivered during

Casey Anthony's criminal trial continues to shadow the lawyer and haunt his client.

Lawyers attending a recent Orange County Bar Association forum titled "Lessons in Ethics & Professionalism From the Casey Anthony Trial" asked pointed questions about the controversial opening.

Two civil lawsuits filed against 25-year-old Anthony, meanwhile, ask whether she allowed untruths to be presented on her behalf and whether Baez gave false statements in his opening to the jury, court filings show. One expert who has followed the case said the issue might ultimately lead Anthony's camp to consider settlements in both ongoing civil suits.

Jurors ultimately acquitted Anthony of her most serious charges, including first-degree murder. She was convicted of lying to law enforcement. It's not clear whether the opening influenced the verdicts.

Anthony's initial claims that a nanny abducted her daughter, Caylee, have long since been exposed as lies, but many also doubt the truth of her lawyer's courtroom account of the child's death.

On May 24, Baez told jurors Anthony knew Caylee never went missing but had drowned in the family pool June 16, 2008. He also said Casey's father, George, knew of the drowning and had sexually abused Casey.

Legal experts agree such a defense could create reasonable doubt in jurors' minds. But the claims, for the most part, were not supported by evidence. The unkept promises apparently didn't matter to Anthony's jury.

Yet questions in the legal community linger: Was that opening ethical? And will the genesis of its unsupported claims ever be exposed in the lawsuits against Anthony?

'Within ethical boundaries'

Professor Amy Mashburn, who teaches professional responsibility and legal ethics at the University of Florida College of Law, fielded some of the sticky ethical questions offered up during last month's Orange County Bar session.

In a later interview, Mashburn said, "It's unlikely that we're ever going to know" whether an ethical violation occurred. What we do know, she said, is: Lawyers cannot make things up. They cannot allude to any matter at trial for which they don't have admissible supporting evidence. And they cannot offer false evidence.

But if at the time of his opening Baez believed his client would testify about the abuse and the drowning — even if he advised against her testifying — and if he believed he could effectively cross-examine her family members, then he could give that opening on firm ethical footing, Mashburn said.

If he knew Anthony would not testify and that he would have to support his claims largely through cross-examination of her family, which is what eventually happened, "that's more ethically problematic," Mashburn said.

Baez said he did not attend the ethics discussion here because he was invited to speak to a class at Harvard Law School that week. He said he could not address specific questions about his opening without Anthony's consent, but criticized those who question his words without knowing the facts he had at the time.

"Every single word we gave at openings and closings was completely aboveboard and within the ethical boundaries of an attorney," Baez said. "Everything that was said during the opening, we had a good-faith basis for."

Asked whether he expected Anthony to testify when he gave the opening, Baez offered a general statement he said holds true for all of his clients.

"It's a game-time decision [whether a client testifies]," Baez said. "That decision is not made until the end of the case, and the client makes it."

Because only Baez knows the information he had going into that opening, Mashburn said, "there's still some very basic things about this we don't know and won't ever know."

She also maintains it would have been a "really risky strategy" for Baez to make promises he knew he could never deliver, noting that juries usually hold that against an attorney.

Charles Rose, the professor of Excellence in Trial Advocacy at Stetson University College of Law, said most trial lawyers looking at the case never thought Anthony would testify. And if she told Baez the drowning and abuse stories, based on her history of lies, he had an obligation to fully investigate those accounts and find evidence to support them.

Rose said the story Baez gave at the opening "did not seem to be supported by the evidence presented."

We may never know

Though Baez may move on unscathed — he has picked up at least one more high-profile case recently — his opening statement appears more problematic for Anthony in the civil cases.

"It's going to be very difficult for her to walk away from the concessions he made in the opening," Mashburn said. "Clients are bound by admissions lawyers make on their behalf. She can't subsequently say, 'I believed there was a nanny.' "

That is likely why attorneys representing Zenaida Gonzalez want to again depose Anthony and have her answer questions about her initial claims that a nanny with the same name as Gonzalez's abducted Caylee.

A hearing last week had attorneys for Gonzalez asking the judge handling the case to compel Anthony to give full answers to their questions before Gonzalez is deposed. But the judge determined Gonzalez can be questioned first.

During her Oct. 8 deposition, Anthony — through her attorney — repeatedly invoked her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination, relying on the ongoing appeal of her convictions. She also claimed attorney-client privilege several times.

Many of Gonzalez attorney John Morgan's questions focused on the Baez opening.

"Miss Anthony, in your criminal trial here in Orange County, you attorney stated that there was never, in fact, a Zenaida Gonzalez, a Zanny the Nanny or any such person. Did you hear that?" Morgan asked.

She gave no answer.

He later asked, "Was he [Baez] being truthful when he said that or was he lying to the court?"

Again, no answer.

Attorneys in the Texas EquuSearch lawsuit against Anthony asked in court papers, "Please identify every statement by Mr. Baez which was false." Anthony's team objected to those questions as well.

If Anthony's appeal runs its course, eventually she will be made to answer the inquiries and explain the opening, Rose said.

"If I was her civil lawyers… I would try to make all this go away before I was put in that position," Rose said.

Her legal team could reach settlements with Gonzalez and Texas EquuSearch, and presumably any monetary amounts could be based on her anticipated future earnings.

"At some point, there's going to be money made, a lot of money," said Rose, who still expects a Casey Anthony book deal and interviews.

But Rose doesn't think Anthony's version of what happened to her daughter will approach the truth.

"As long as she has a lawyer, it will not be unvarnished," Rose said. "It will be homogenized, and for Miss Anthony's benefit. We're not ever going to know what really happened."
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony: Jeff Ashton shows sympathy for George , Cindy   Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:13 am

Casey Anthony: Jeff Ashton shows sympathy for George, Cindy
Caylee and Casey Anthony, George and Cindy Anthony, HLN, Jose Baez, Joy Behar — posted by halboedeker on November, 16 2011 8:49 AM

George and Cindy Anthony at their daughter's murder trial. Photo credit: Red Huber/Orlando Sentinel

So far, Jeff Ashton’s media tour has been most interesting for the understanding he has shown George and Cindy Anthony, the oft-maligned parents of Casey Anthony.

Consider the former prosecutor’s remarks last night on HLN’s “Issues With Jane Velez-Mitchell.” Let’s face it: The Anthony family dynamics are one reason the story continues to fascinate millions.

“From everyone that we talked to outside of her relationship with Casey, Cindy appears to be a fairly honest, hard-working, well-liked person,” Ashton told Velez-Mitchell.

Ashton dismissed the theory that Casey learned her lying ways from her parents. “I think Cindy learned to lie from Casey, but is not very good at it,” Ashton said. “Neither she nor George is a good liar. When they did lie, it was obvious they were lying.”

Ashton won a rave review for “Imperfect Justice” from Velez-Mitchell, who said she couldn’t put the book down. In “Imperfect Justice,” Ashton details the prosecution of Casey Anthony, who was acquitted of murder in the 2008 death of her daughter, Caylee.

On “Issues,” Ashton recalled how prosecutors warned the couple’s attorney, Mark Lippman, that Casey Anthony’s defense team was coming after George at trial. In his opening statement, defense attorney Jose Baez accused George of molesting Casey.

George’s response to the prosecutors’ warning? “I can tell you that I never have seen anyone who looked like they had been just beaten as badly as George looked,” Ashton said. “He looked like Caylee had died all over again. And it was very remarkable to me that the only thing he really said to us is, he just looked at us and said, ‘It’s not true. None of it’s true.’ ”

Even at that point, Ashton had something kind to say about Cindy. “And in what I thought was a very nice, supportive gesture, Cindy looked at him and said, ‘Nobody believes it’ true, George. Nobody believes it,’ ” Ashton said.

But Ashton said there was no outrage from Cindy about her daughter’s allegations. “In fact, the only thing she said, that comes the closest to any realization is, ‘I don’t know what’s wrong with her.’ At least she was supportive of George, and that was good,” Asthon said.

On HLN’s “Joy Behar Show,” Ashton expanded on his comment that Cindy and Casey have “a lethally toxic co-dependent relationship,” which helped Casey win acquittal.

“The one piece of evidence we never really could produce and develop was the real relationship between Casey and Cindy,” Ashton said. “We had a lot of anecdotal evidence about that relationship. But in my opinion, Cindy could never be candid about it and really face up to the problems in that relationship, which I think would have given us more of a motive had we had that.”

What do you think about Ashton comments about the parents?

Ashton talks to “Dr. Phil” at 3 p.m. today on WOFL-Channel 35.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Jeff Ashton tells Dr. Phil: I wish I hadn't smirked   Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:26 pm

Jeff Ashton tells Dr. Phil: I wish I hadn’t smirked
Uncategorized — posted by halboedeker on November, 16 2011 3:13 PM

“Wow was the only thought in my mind,” Jeff Ashton said when he heard the jury’s acquittal of Casey Anthony.

The former prosecutor was the guest on “Dr. Phil” today.

Why did he smirk at a crucial moment in the trial? “I wish I hadn’t,” Asthon said. He cited attorney Jose Baez’s argument that the duct tape connected George Anthony to the crime.

“That argument had never made sense to me,” Ashton said. “Jose’s voice went up a couple of octaves. The combination of the argument and the squeaky voice got me. I apologized to him, and I meant it. That was not appropriate.”

Ashton said his biggest complaint about Baez was that the defense attorney wasn’t honest with the Anthonys or the court. In July, Casey Anthony was acquitted of murder in the 2008 death of Caylee Anthony.

Ashton said the duct tape on Caylee’s remains convinced him that the toddler was murdered. Ashton’s theory is that Casey decided that Caylee was keeping her from the life she wanted and that the mother used chloroform and duct tape to kill the child. “There’s no reason to put duct tape over a child’s nose and mouth unless you want to kill them,” Ashton said.

Ashton said he never believed Caylee had drowned. “Nobody takes a child that is drowned in a pool, then dumps them in a swamp with duct tape over their mouth,” he said.

Ashton said the jury was bland and not made up of passionate, decisive people. “All of those people had already put the pieces together,” Ashton told McGraw.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Anthony 'survived assassination attempt and fled after safe house was discovered'   Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Casey Anthony 'survived assassination attempt and fled after safe house was discovered'

By Rachel Quigley

Last updated at 8:12 PM on 16th November 2011

Casey Anthony is lucky to be alive after allegedly surviving an assassination attempt at her Florida safe house.

Casey's 'panic-stricken' bodyguards had to pull her out of the firing line and whisk her to an emergency hideout in the middle of the night before an assassin 'put a bullet through her brain', The National Enquirer reported.

Casey, who has been dubbed America's most-hated mom, has been in hiding since she was released from jail following a shock not guilty plea at the murder trial of her daughter Caylee on July 5.

Threat: A hit-man allegedly planned to assassinate Casey Anthony after finding her safe house and pinning a 'death warrant' to the door

She was released from jail on July 17 and since then, thousands of hate mail and threatening emails have been pouring in to her lawyers' offices from all over the world.

More...

Despite efforts by her crack security team to protect her, a hit man allegedly located her hideout and stuck a death warrant to her door saying: 'I know where you are, I'm coming to put a bullet through your brain.'

The Enquirer said it was eerily similar to an email threat the 25-year-old's bodyguards previously received saying: 'I want her dead! if she knew where she was I would do it myself!'

Lawyer: Casey's attorneys have been receiving death threats ever since she was released from jail

The threatening message - which was allegedly pinned to the door - was said to 'set off a complete panic' and the security team had to assume that Casey's head would be blown off the moment she stepped outside the house.

CASEY ANTHONY THE MOVIE?

The Lifetime cable network is developing a possible TV movie about the sensational murder trial of Casey Anthony.

Fox Television Studios optioned the film and television rights to the book Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony, written by retired prosecutor Jeff Ashton.

It's not known when the project, which is said to be in the early stages, will air. Variety reports that Lifetime has not greenlit the film yet.

In the book, Ashton takes jabs at Anthony's defense lawyers and jurors, calling lead defense attorney Jose Baez 'smarmy' and displaying an unflattering view of the jurors.

According to People, the film would tell the story from the prosecution's point of view, detailing the three years Ashton and his team spent preparing and prosecuting the Florida mother.

A source told the Enquirer: 'There are plenty of people who want to kill Casey because they believe she got away with murdering little Caylee.

'Her bodyguards rushed her off in the middle of the night to another safe house a prearranged safe hideout that was available in the event of such an emergency.'

The insider said decoy vehicles were also used so the 'killer' would not know which one Casey was in, as they are said to realise how determined Casey's enemies are to kill her and had to take every precaution.

'The fact she is still hidden and still alive is testimony to just how good her team of bodyguards are. They're the best, but it was a very close call.'

Because of the terms of her probation for cheque fraud, Casey must stay in Florida for one year and report every month to a probation officer.

This is not the first time her security team have moved her. According to the Enquirer, she was first hidden on St George Island off the coast of northwest Florida before allegedly being moved to a rural location near Gainsville and a condo in New Smyrna Beach.

Dead: Casey's lawyers later claimed Caylee Marie Anthony, two, drowned in the family swimming pool but many believe she was murdered by her mother

Last week it emerged that Casey’s lawyers tried to persuade the 25-year-old to accept a plea deal towards the end of her murder trial.

Jeff Ashton, a retired prosecutor from the case who revealed all in an explosive new book, said that while the Florida mother 'may have deserved' the death penalty if she had been convicted of killing her two-year-old daughter, he didn’t believe a jury would ever have agreed to the sentence.

Writing in Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony, he said he would have been pleased if the prosecution team had left the punishment off the table.

Insight: Mr Ashton hands evidence to a witness in Miss Anthony's trial on June 6. He has revealed previous behind-the-scenes revelations about the case in his new book

THAT WITNESS IS DR. VASS......AN EXPERT IN HIS FIELD
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Did Casey Anthony survive attempt on her lift?   Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:08 pm

Did Casey Anthony survive attempt on her life?
Caylee and Casey Anthony, Dr. Phil, HLN, Jose Baez, Joy Behar, NBC, Today — posted by halboedeker on November, 16 2011 4:34 PM

Jose Baez and Casey Anthony at her sentencing hearing in July. Photo credit: Joe Burbank/Orlando Sentinel

Bodyguards moved Casey Anthony after a death threat was posted at the home where she’s staying, The National Enquirer reports.

The Daily Mail in Britain picked up the report and headlined that Anthony “survived assassination attempt and fled after safe house was discovered.” But assassination attempts are usually reserved for political leaders.

The Daily Mail also described the would-be assailant as a “hit man” and said Anthony had a “crack security team.”

Anthony is serving a year’s probation for check fraud somewhere in Florida.

The Enquirer reports that the death threat read: “I know where you are, I’m coming to put a bullet through your brain.”

A source, described as an “insider,” told The Enquirer: ”There are plenty of people who want to kill Casey because they believe she got away with murdering little Caylee. Her bodyguards rushed her off in the middle of the night to another safe house, a prearranged safe hideout that was available in the event of such an emergency.”

I have requested a comment from defense attorney Jose Baez.

In July, Anthony was acquitted of murder in the 2008 death of her daughter, Caylee.

Former prosecutor Jeff Ashton has urged people to ignore Anthony. “I would hope that people leave Casey Anthony alone,” Ashton told NBC’s “Today,” a message he has sent before. “I don’t want anyone to do anything to Casey or have anything to do with her. My advice to people who are angry about this is to ignore Casey.”

Ashton is promoting his book, “Imperfect Justice.” He visited ”Issues With Jane Velez-Mitchell” and “The Joy Behar Show,” both on HLN, on Tuesday. He talked to ”Dr. Phil” in a show that aired today.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Jeff Ashton to speak at main Orlando library on Monday   Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:16 pm

Jeff Ashton to speak at main Orlando library on Monday
Caylee and Casey Anthony, Dr. Phil, Joy Behar, Orlando, Today — posted by halboedeker on November, 17 2011 10:08 AM

You’ve seen him making the television rounds. Soon, you can see him in person.

Former prosecutor Jeff Ashton will speak at 6 p.m. Monday at the main Orlando Public Library, 101 E. Central Blvd. The event is free.

Ashton will discuss his book “Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony.” A book sale and a signing will follow his talk.

Ashton says he wrote the book to help give closure to people who followed the case, WKMG-Channel 6’s Tony Pipitone reports.

In July, Anthony was acquitted of murder in the 2008 death of her daughter, Caylee.

Ashton told WKMG that Anthony “an amazingly talented liar” and “very, very self-centered, selfish at her core.” But Pipitone highlighted that Ashton was spreading the blame for Anthony’s acquittal but not sharing in it.

“The reality is we don’t win and lose cases,” Asthon told Pipitone. “The facts win and lose cases.”

As a prosecution mistake, Ashton cited introducing the chloroform searches on the Anthony home computer. Still, Pipitone noted that the mistake “merits only a couple of paragraphs” in Ashton’s book. Pipitone stressed there was just one visit to the site, not the 84 mentioned at trial, and the state never retracted the claim.

Ashton’s TV appearances this week have included “Today,” “Issues With Jane Velez-Mitchell,” “The Joy Behar Show” and “Dr. Phil.” The Pipitone interview stood out because he posed tough questions to Ashton.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Jose Baez: 'Assassination attempt' on Casey Anthony not true   Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:50 pm

Jose Baez: 'Assassination attempt' on Casey Anthony not true

Attorney denies National Enquirer report

Author: Tony Pipitone WKMG-Local 6 News, Problem Solver, tpipitone@clickorlando.com
Published On: Nov 17 2011 11:54:15 AM CST

Updated On: Nov 17 2011 12:25:33 PM CST

Casey Anthony attorney on National Enquirer cover story: "None of it is true."

ORLANDO, Fla. -
The tabloid headline will be screaming at supermarket checkout lines all week: "Casey Anthony SURVIVES ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT!"

But asked by Local 6 to comment on whether his client had to be relocated to a "new safe house," as the Enquirer reported, attorney Jose Baez responded, "None of it is true."

Anthony is serving one year of probation on check fraud charges at an undisclosed location in Florida. Her location is being concealed by the state because of fears for her safety.

Anthony, 25, is widely reviled after a jury acquitted her in July of murder and other charges stemming from the death of her daughter, Caylee, in 2008.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Copyright 2011 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: What do Casey Anthony and Ashton Kutcher have in common?   Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:08 am

What do Casey Anthony and Ashton Kutcher have in common?
Caylee and Casey Anthony, Jose Baez, Two and a Half Men — posted by halboedeker on November, 18 2011 8:06 AM Discuss This: Comments(0) | [url=http://del.icio.us/post?url=http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2011/11/what-do-casey-anthony-and-ashton-kutcher-have-in-common.html&title=What do Casey Anthony and Ashton Kutcher have in common?]Add to del.icio.us[/url] | Digg it

Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore in, as they say, happier times. Photo credit: Timothy A. Clary/AFP/Getty Images

They are the unfortunate magazine covers.

Casey Anthony decorates The National Enquirer. “Two and a Half Men” star Ashton Kutcher stares out from Men’s Health.

“Casey Anthony Survives Assassination Attempt!” the Enquirer screams.

But defense attorney Jose Baez tells The Huffington Post: “None of it is true.”

How do you like that for succinct?

The Enquirer article was, well, screwy. The would-be assassin left a note on Anthony’s door with this threat: “I know where you are, I’m coming to put a bullet through your brain.”

The Enquirer set off more speculation about Anthony, who frankly doesn’t need it as she secretly serves a year’s probation somewhere in Florida for check fraud. The article’s timing was fascinating. It appeared just as former prosecutor Jeff Ashton enjoyed a media blitz in promoting his book, “Imperfect Justice,” about the Anthony case.

The Men’s Health hits the stands as Demi Moore announced Thursday that she is divorcing Kutcher, her husband of six years.

The magazine describes its Kutcher story as “Keep Your Cool Like Kutcher.” And Men’s Health adds, “See how Ashton handles things when the going gets gossipy.”

He doesn’t handle them very well. His tweet about the divorce left many scratching their heads.

Kutcher tweeted: “I will forever cherish the time I spent with Demi. Marriage is one of the most difficult things in the world and unfortunately sometimes they fail. Love and Light, AK.”

Really?
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Dr. G revisits Casey Anthony science in TLC special   Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:16 pm

Dr. G revisits Casey Anthony science in TLC special

Then-Assistant State Attorney Jeff Ashton shows an evidence bag to Dr. Jan Garavaglia as she testifies during the Casey Anthony trial June 10, 2011. (Joe Burbank, Orlando Sentinel file / November 19, 2011)

By Hal Boedeker, Orlando Sentinel Television Writer
6:40 p.m. EST, November 19, 2011

Dr. Jan Garavaglia says she wanted to be done with the Casey Anthony case.

"I never wanted to think about that case again, but I keep getting asked about it," said the chief medical examiner of Orange and Osceola counties, who testified at the murder trial last summer.

So the star of "Dr. G: Medical Examiner" is taping a TLC special on the Anthony case that will premiere Jan. 1.

"It's more about my take on the science I was involved in," Garavaglia said.

At the trial, Garavaglia testified about why Caylee Marie Anthony's death was listed as a "homicide due to undetermined means."

She said that decision was the "only logical conclusion … the circumstances of death did not fit anything but a homicide." She cited the delay in reporting the child's disappearance, the body's disposal in a swampy area and the duct tape with the remains.

"There's sound information that can be gained from the science," Garavaglia said of the special. "I don't know about other aspects of the case or things done outside my office. I don't know anything about that smell science. There is some really good information we gathered from looking at the data."

But when asked to comment on the upcoming television special,defense attorney Jose Baez took the opportunity to blast Garavaglia's science, as he did at trial.

"Dr. G needs a TV special to explain her science because her testimony was not based on science," Baez said in an email. "All three reasons she used to give her 'opinion' that it was a homicide did not require any medical training whatsoever. That is why the jury rejected it."

In July, Anthony was acquitted of murder in the 2008 death of her daughter.

The working title for theTLC special is "The True Story of Caylee Anthony."

"They ask my opinion about the verdict, but my opinion doesn't amount to a hill of beans," Garavaglia said. "The peripheral aspects of this case, I'm not up on as much as other people."

So the program turned to former prosecutor Jeff Ashton, WFTV-Channel 9 legal analyst Bill Sheaffer and Amy Pavuk of the Orlando Sentinel.

"I have a lot of respect for her. I have a lot of respect for her testimony," Sheaffer said of Garavaglia. "I think she testified accurately and truthfully. It was a dry-bones case. She did not embellish."

The program also interviews forensic anthropologist John Schultz of the University of Central Florida, forensic anthropologist Mike Warren of the University of Florida and toxicologist Bruce Goldberger of the University of Florida.

Garavaglia cited a couple of topics she discussed for the special: Should Caylee's skull should have been opened? Anthropologists thought it wasn't necessary, and she agreed. Should Garavaglia have done a diatom test (also called a drowning test) to check for small algae in the corpse's tissue? Caylee had no tissue left to test,Garavaglia said.

Will the defense be represented in the TLC show? "It's not about the defense," Garavaglia said.

Instead,Garavaglia said shesees the program as a chance to offer a rebuttal.

"Things got out there that I wasn't able to answer," she said. "People don't understand how dry these bones were. I think that got lost in the trial. We're revisiting the science. I think some of it got confused in the spin."

Her testimony remains an oft-debated topic, especially on the Internet.

On OrlandoSentinel.com, Turtlepace writes: "Dr. Garavaglia is a respected pathologist, but her hypothesis of 'homicide' is based on non-medical factors. Just because Caylee's body was abandoned in a garbage bag … and Casey lied about Caylee being kidnapped does not disprove that Caylee drowned."

But knightryder counters: "I think it's kind of weird that a person's first assumption to a child's skeleton partially in plastic bags discovered in a swamp area would equate to accident … not homicide, manslaughter or neglect. I think it's absurd to think that a good mother lies about her dead child. 31 days. What's wrong with that picture?"

Garavaglia scoffed at hearing thatBaez plans toaddress the American Academy of Forensic Sciences' annual meeting in Atlanta in February.

"I found it outrageous," Garavaglia said. "I know what we said was scientifically based from this office. I find it disturbing they would invite Jose Baez to a scientific meeting."

Baez will speak at three sessions, according to the group's website. One is called "Fantasy of Forensics: How Junk Science Failed to Persuade the Jury in the Casey Anthony Case." Another session is titled "Flawed Forensics: Recognizing and Challenging Misleading Forensic Evidence and Disingenuous Expert Testimony."

As for her special, Garavaglia said she was taking a low-key approach to the program and plans to make it her last word on the Anthony case.

"I just want to set the record straight about what happened."
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Casey Antony: Case inspires Dr. G special. 'Body of Proof' script   Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Casey Anthony: Case inspires Dr. G special, ‘Body of Proof’ script
ABC, Caylee and Casey Anthony, Central Florida News 13, Dr. G: Medical Examiner, Dr. Jan Garavaglia, George and Cindy Anthony, TLC — posted by halboedeker on November, 20 2011 9:08 AM

Dr. Jan Garavaglia testifies at the Casey Anthony trial in June. Photo credit: Joe Burbank/Orlando Sentinel

Casey Anthony will be big news early in the new year.

“Body of Proof,” the ABC drama starring Dana Delany, will do a ripped-from-the-headlines plot on Jan. 3, Entertainment Weekly reports. It’s the old “Law & Order” approach, and when a drama goes that route, it can tell the story however it likes and not worry about the people involved in the real case.

“[The trial] became this sensational case nationwide,” executive producer Sunil Nayar tells EW. “There were very human elements. [In our episode], we explore what happens when the media takes over a case.”

Of special note, EW reports that Oscar winner Marcia Gay Harden will play a character modeled on Nancy Grace, and Rita Wilson will play the mother of a young woman acquitted of murdering her son. Wilson’s role, I presume, would be comparable to Cindy Anthony.

For people who want the real story, Dr. Jan Garavaglia is taping a TLC special to air Jan. 1. The star of “Dr. G: Medical Examiner” will focus on the science behind her testimony at the trial. Anthony was acquitted in July of murder in the 2008 death of her daughter, Caylee.

My story on the special, in today’s Sentinel, is an expanded version of a blog post. It also draws on comments from readers who reponded to that earlier story. As always, thanks for reading and responding.

In more Anthony news, Central Florida News 13 reports that attorney Mark Lippman says George and Cindy Anthony, Casey’s parents, are reading Jeff Ashton’s “Imperfect Justice” about the case. News 13 reports that Casey Anthony has had not contact with her parents since her release from jail in July. Lippman also says that George and Cindy Anthony don’t begrudge Ashton for writing a book, but they will speak up if they see any incorrect information, News 13 reports.

Are you ready for George and Cindy Anthony, book critics?
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Prosecutor Jeff Ashton to talk about his Casey book tonight at Orlando Library   Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:37 am

Prosecutor Jeff Ashton to talk about his Casey book tonight at Orlando library

Cover of Jeff Ashton's book "Imperfect Justice Prosecuting Casey Anthony." (William Morrow/HarperCollins Publishers, William Morrow/HarperCollins Publishers / November 21, 2011)

Anthony Colarossi, Orlando Sentinel
10:00 a.m. EST, November 21, 2011

Former prosecutor-turned-author Jeff Ashton is scheduled to appear tonight for a question-and-answer and book signing session at the Orlando Public Library downtown.

Ashton's new book "Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony," published by William Morrow, an Imprint of HarperCollins Publishers, went on sale last week.

His appearance is set for 6 p.m. at the 101 E. Central Blvd. library location.

The engagement is planned for the facility's "Library Central" area on the first floor. Copies of Ashton's book will be available for purchase in the library. But people can also bring copies purchased previously for Ashton to sign.

Ashton's publisher confirmed Friday that 200,000 copies of the book, selling for $26.99, are in print, after a second printing.

Kris Woodson with Orange County Library System said people wanting to ask Ashton questions will be asked to write them down on cards.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Jose Baez to Geraldo: I don't know when Casey Anthony will appear on TV   Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:38 am

Jose Baez to Geraldo: I don’t know when Casey Anthony will appear on TV
Caylee and Casey Anthony, Fox News Channel, George and Cindy Anthony, Geraldo Rivera, Jose Baez — posted by halboedeker on November, 21 2011 10:33 AM

Casey Athony with Jose Baez at her sentencing hearing in July. Photo credit: Joe Burbank/Orlando Sentinel

When might Casey Anthony surface and appear on television?

“That I don’t know. It’s completely and totally up to her,” defense attorney Jose Baez said on Geraldo Rivera’s Fox News Channel show last night.

Baez took to “Geraldo at Large” last night to answer claims by former prosecutor Jeff Ashton in a book about the Casey Anthony trial.

In “Imperfect Justice,” Ashton reveals comments that Anthony made to two mental-health experts, including accusing her father of killing her child.

But Baez said, “All of those things are sealed. I can’t even go anywhere near there and I won’t. I think I have a professional obligation to follow the rules.”

Baez said he did not desperately seek a plea deal during the trial, but prosecutor Linda Drane Burdick did approach him about one.

“We spoke about it. It was basically her pleading to count three,” Baez said, which was aggravated manslaughter of a child.

“We would have a conference with the judge, and he would tell us what he would sentence her to,” Baez said. ” All she had to do was consider it, and Casey looked us all in the eye, and basically said, ‘I’m innocent. I’m not pleading to anything and I won’t consider it.’ That’s why we had to stop trial to ensure she was competent to proceed.”

Anthony was later acquitted of murder in the 2008 death of her daughter, Caylee. She is serving a year’s probation somewhere in Florida for check fraud.

Baez dismissed Ashton’s claim that Baez had been sadistic in telling Cindy Anthony that the state was investigating her husband, George, in Caylee’s death and disappearance. Ashton said saying there was an investigation was “100 percent false” and “a huge lie that just cruel.”

Baez responded: “I don’t know how it could be a cruel lie when it was absolutely true. … They were clearly investigating him.”

Baez said he might write a book, if the situation was right, to share unknown facets of the trial.
Back to top Go down
sanny
Hard Core Blogger

PostSubject: Zenaida Gonzalez to be questioned for Casey Anthony civil suit   Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:49 am

Zenaida Gonzalez to be questioned for Casey Anthony civil suit

ZENAIDA GONZALEZ -- Suing Casey for defamation. Casey said another woman with the same name babysat Caylee, and took her. Casey's family says this is not the same woman as 'Zanny the Nanny.'
By Adam Longo, Reporter

Sunday, November 20, 2011

ORLANDO --
The woman suing Casey Anthony will be on the hot seat this week. She is scheduled to sit down and answer questions from Casey's lawyer on Tuesday.

Zenaida Gonzalez is suing Anthony for defamation.

Anthony claimed a woman named Zenaida Gonzalez had kidnapped her daughter Caylee in the summer of 2008.

We were the first to tell you earlier this month that Anthony's civil attorneys want to know if Gonzalez is being paid by the Morgan and Morgan law firm.

Gonzalez attorney Keith Mitnik denied that accusation.

Court documents filed a couple weeks ago ask that Gonzalez be forced to answer questions about her income over the last three years.

Anthony's lawyers also want to know if Gonzalez has seen a psychiatrist, and also want to know exactly how much money Gonzalez is asking for in the case.

There is another hearing set for next month to decide whether or not Casey should have to answer questions.

The case, right now, is set to go to trial next April.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THE TRIAL OF CASEY ANTHONY PART VI ~ THE AFTERMATH ~ NOVEMBER 2011   

Back to top Go down

THE TRIAL OF CASEY ANTHONY PART VI ~ THE AFTERMATH ~ NOVEMBER 2011
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next